Options
2»

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    roll them.

when about to peel them, tap gently all round to crack the shell, then gently ROLL the egg on a hard surface. this will loosen the shell from the white and enable the shell to come off easily.

This works.
  • 157isgoal
    157isgoal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I buy the peeled ones at the grocery store. The extra price is worth the convenience to me.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    44to44 wrote: »
    I dunk them in cold water when they're done cooking, smash the fat end first and peel while running cold water over them. Works most of the time, unless the eggs are super duper fresh.

this! also the ready peeled is a good option sometimes compared ot buying them and boiling them.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Put some vinegar in the water when boiling, and then shell them under cold running water. Put the peeled egg in a ziploc bag to take to work or wherever.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    157isgoal wrote: »
    I buy the peeled ones at the grocery store. The extra price is worth the convenience to me.

We tried these. They tasted...fishy.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything special. Boil them for 12 minutes, fresh or old doesn't matter. Run under cold water for maybe a minute. Put in fridge. Probably 97 out of 100 eggs peel very easily this way.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I dunk them in cold water when they're done cooking, smash the fat end first and peel while running cold water over them. Works most of the time, unless the eggs are super duper fresh.

This, I usually dunk them in an ice bath once im done boiling and the shell usually comes off in 2 or 3 big pieces
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Place in boiling, salted water for 10 mins, remove from heat and straight away run cold water until the pan is also cold. Drain, then peel when ready.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ive been on a hard boiled egg eating bandwagon since Easter...A trick I found that works is adding Baking Soda to the water before you boil them.
  • walaker
    walaker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »
    I've tried everything from putting salt or baking soda in the water, old eggs, new eggs, you name it I've tried it. And then I found this. It works every time. I usually buy fresh eggs at the market every week too.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/easy-to-peel-eggs/

^^^ Yup, this. Pioneer Woman has never let me down! And we raise chickens so a lot of the time we boil eggs still warm from the chicken :) Age of eggs has never made a difference with this method!
  • 44to44
    44to44 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    So after reading this thread, I tried my usual method (cold water, whack it on the fat end, peel under cold water) -but I also rolled it after whacking it as someone had suggested --easiest egg peeling ever!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I got a pressure cooker. I have NEVER successfully peeled eggs before :) Now I happily cook up a dozen at a time and bring deviled eggs to potlucks.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Put plenty of salt in the water you boil them in. When the eggs are done place them immediately in to a bowl of cold water. Once the shells are cool I have no issue in getting them off first time.
  • HealthyIrishLass
    HealthyIrishLass Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Set the water to boil (leave the eggs in the fridge until it is boiling). Once you achieve a boil, lower eggs into boiling water cover and allow to cook for 10-12 mins (depending on how hard you want the yolk) Remove from heat and put eggs into cold water to get to peeling temp. Peel immediate or refrigerate in shell. Peeling will be just as easy later on with this method, it's like magic.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    As soon as they are boiled crack the shell open in a few places then place in cold water. This stops the membrane sticking to the shell and makes them easier peeled. An older egg will be easier peeled than a fresher one.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Cold water immediately and than roll on hard surface. Have tried this method around 50 times or more and worked every single time, without fail. Easy peasy!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I usually tap the egg all the way around its circumference and peel around the middle first and work my way outwards. Good luck!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    rebel_26 wrote: »

this! also the ready peeled is a good option sometimes compared ot buying them and boiling them.

Do you mean buy them ready peeled?! Didn't know this was available.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    If you have a pressure cooker - use that to cook them. They practically fall out of the shell every time! Just put on steamer rack with a cup of water and cook for 2-3 min.

Before I got a pressure cooker, I had the best luck with cooking them this way:
    1. Put eggs in pot. Cover with cold water. Cover pot, bring to boil.
    2. When pot come to boil, turn off heat and let sit covered 10-12 minutes
    3. Drain water, then put lid back on pot and give a few quick shakes to crack shells.
    4. Cover hot eggs in ice water
    5. Peel when cool enough to handle
    Works 90% of the time.

This, Pressure Cooker makes it so easy. I do mine different. I have an Instant Pot, which makes it a bit easier. I put them in on the rack with a little water in there, low pressure for 6 minutes, then let them sit in there for 5 minutes after the pressure is done. Then into the ice bath. Perfect eggs that are easy to peel every single time. Once I left them in there for 45 minutes after they finished cooking. Don't do that. Still easy to peel, and you could still eat them, but not ideal. lol