Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do we judge a healthy weight range? BMI is no longer valid?

Options

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't recall mentioning bio-impedance or DEXA scans...

Right. You asked a question, and I gave you the answer. Hopefully you understand a little better now. :smile:
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Interesting, regarding Ashley Grahm. At 5'9" and 170 pounds (according to both bodymeasurements.org and celebheightweight.com) her BMI is 25.1... barely "overweight" and not even close to "obese" if you accept BMI. Do any of you calling her fat know her actual body fat percentage? The only thing I found was a search result that linked to a "page not found." It said 33%, which would put her at the top end of healthy or the low end of over fat, depending on whose chart you're looking at.
    So who has the distorted view here? The person who recognized her as being at the upper limit of a healthy composition? Or the people calling her flat out fat?
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Usually, it's said to be inaccurate for those who're VERY muscular. The average woman is nowhere near as muscular as Serena Williams and she's 5'9" and said to be 155 lbs, BMI 22.89. She'd have to be 170 lbs to reach overweight BMI of 25+ and in her case, it would not apply coz she's so muscular. So, unless you're as muscular as she is, then yeah, BMI is a good indicator of what's a healthy weight.

I think fat acceptance and the obesity epidemic is distorting people's view of what's truly normal weight so folks start blaming the BMI indicator for being wrong, when in reality, people are just too fat.

Good call on using Serena Williams as an example! She's very muscular but knowing that she is 23 ish suggests to me that it would be very difficult indeed for a woman to out-muscle the healthy range.

Also I like knowing the stats of celebs and sports stars. Helps give reference points for what to aim at.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Interesting, regarding Ashley Grahm. At 5'9" and 170 pounds (according to both bodymeasurements.org and celebheightweight.com) her BMI is 25.1... barely "overweight" and not even close to "obese" if you accept BMI. Do any of you calling her fat know her actual body fat percentage? The only thing I found was a search result that linked to a "page not found." It said 33%, which would put her at the top end of healthy or the low end of over fat, depending on whose chart you're looking at.
    So who has the distorted view here? The person who recognized her as being at the upper limit of a healthy composition? Or the people calling her flat out fat?

Ten pounds can make a notable difference, especially with how her fat is distributed. I haven't seen pictures of her at 170. All of the ones I saw appeared to be from the time frame where she was pegged at 180+.

And to use your own argument for you, BMI doesn't tell you anything about composition. I'm male, 5'10", and 150.5 lbs. I also still have a completely terrible body composition that I am currently working on, even though I fall right into the middle of the "healthy" range. So yeah, we're still right back to it being useful for a population, but not so helpful to the individual, beyond giving them an easy to understand base mark to work from.

Girl's fat, or at least was in the pictures I saw, and nothing about perception changes that.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

That's because she's lost weight. She was fat (not meant as a bad word just a fact, my own goal weight is fat because that's my aesthetic preference), now she is in the upper range of normal (but definitely not "too skinny" as you call those who are in the upper range of normal).

nintchdbpict0001882047551.jpg?w=699
    ashley-graham.jpg

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Similar BMI to me. We're both fat, just in different places. She probably wouldn't get away with it in her mid 40s, either.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

That's because she's lost weight. She was fat (not meant as a bad word just a fact, my own goal weight is fat because that's my aesthetic preference), now she is in the upper range of normal (but definitely not "too skinny" as you call those who are in the upper range of normal).

ashley-graham.jpg

Hard to tell in that second picture, due to the jacket, but yeah, just from what you can see of the abdominal area, hands, and face, that weight loss made a pretty big difference.
  • MarkusDarwath
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding how BMI promotes undermuscled physiques when a person with a healthy BMI can have a ridiculously athletic 5% BF right on up to a very soft 35% BF.

Ok, let me qualify my statement. At a body fat percentage that is simultaneously healthy, attainable and desirable to most people, they would have to unnecessarily sacrifice muscle mass to get their BMI under 25. And I say unnecessarily in that there is no medical benefit to doing so.

The metric is kg/m2. BF% is not considered in the calculation whatsoever.

And that is the huge flaw of BMI. It is claimed to give an estimation of fatness, yet the metric actually has nothing to do with fat. Excess fat contributes to health issues, lean mass does not. Looking at the relationship of height to weight is of no value if it cannot reasonably assess actual fat composition.

• MarkusDarwath
    Options

ashley-graham.jpg

Ok, I had not seen pictures of her prior to the advertisement in Sports Illustrated. IIRC, that was in the swimsuit issue the year before they actually put her in as a swimsuit model.
    I will agree that she looks fat in the top pic. But still smokin' hot.

• MarkusDarwath
    Options
    To add to my previous post. I didn't say that people at the top end of "normal" BMI are categorically all too skinny. What I said was that people at an average healthy BF% quite often have to be "too skinny", meaning low muscle mass in order to also fit BMI. Apparently this applies more often to men than women, as "normal" lean muscle is higher for men.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The one that uses wrist and frame size was also said to overestimate lean mass potential.

Yes, but I highly doubt it's 50 pounds over.

Try the others and see how different it is for you.

I mentioned it previously. I did try the others and they still gave me a total weight that was over 200 pounds at 15% body fat, where the BMI charts say I would be a 24.4 at 185 pounds. When a calculation shows that I have to shed functional muscle in order to reach a level where I'm considered to border on "overweight", there is something wrong with the references being used.

You have plenty beside functional muscle to shed... You're sitting at about 35% BF currently (If your pics are current).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding how BMI promotes undermuscled physiques when a person with a healthy BMI can have a ridiculously athletic 5% BF right on up to a very soft 35% BF.

Ok, let me qualify my statement. At a body fat percentage that is simultaneously healthy, attainable and desirable to most people, they would have to unnecessarily sacrifice muscle mass to get their BMI under 25. And I say unnecessarily in that there is no medical benefit to doing so.

The metric is kg/m2. BF% is not considered in the calculation whatsoever.

And that is the huge flaw of BMI. It is claimed to give an estimation of fatness, yet the metric actually has nothing to do with fat. Excess fat contributes to health issues, lean mass does not. Looking at the relationship of height to weight is of no value if it cannot reasonably assess actual fat composition.

BMI is just built off insurance risk tables though. Health risk increases over (or under) a given mass for a given height. Saying that Most People can't get a medical benefit from getting under a 25 BMI is nonsensical. All BMI is saying, literally (in the original sense of the word) is that Most People do get a health benefit from getting under a 25 BMI. What it doesn't say is which people are part of that "Most People" group.

• MarkusDarwath
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You have plenty beside functional muscle to shed... You're sitting at about 35% BF currently (If your pics are current).

My pics are 21 pounds ago at 281, I'm at 260 now, but still around 34%. To get down to a 24.4 BMI I would have to get all the way down to 185. To reach that without losing lean mass I'd have to get all the way down to 7.5 percent body fat, which I have no desire to do. To hit 185 at my goal body fat of 15%, there is no way to do it without shedding lean mass to a point where I would (continue to) have a less than average percentage of muscle mass.

Based on my present lean mass excluding muscle, to be at 15% BF and average muscle percentage (between 40 and 45% of total body weight) I need to be between 209 and 235 pounds. I choose 220.

• Rlha2017
    Rlha2017 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    They tell me I'm over weight. I don't think so

ztrv9gsdwjxp.jpeg
  • MarkusDarwath
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    BMI is just built off insurance risk tables though. Health risk increases over (or under) a given mass for a given height. Saying that Most People can't get a medical benefit from getting under a 25 BMI is nonsensical. All BMI is saying, literally (in the original sense of the word) is that Most People do get a health benefit from getting under a 25 BMI. What it doesn't say is which people are part of that "Most People" group.

Statistically speaking, most people -don't- get a particular benefit from being under 25BMI. The actual cutoff for increased risk is 30 for those without other health risk indicators, or 27-28 for those who do have other indicators (such as high blood pressure, glucose or cholesterol.)

The "overweight" category has no meaning by itself.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    @MarkusDarwath I guess the only thing left to do is to wait and see what the status is when you get to 220. Since we are using bio-impendence estimations so the muscle mass measurement can be used, but loosely at this point, and we really don't know how much muscle mass you may lose while continuing to lose weight, it's kinda pointless to keep debating your stats. All I know is I wish you luck getting there, and look forward to reattacking this at that point.

• Gallowmere1984
    edited August 2016
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Statistically speaking, most people -don't- get a particular benefit from being under 25BMI. The actual cutoff for increased risk is 30 for those without other health risk indicators, or 27-28 for those who do have other indicators (such as high blood pressure, glucose or cholesterol.)

The "overweight" category has no meaning by itself.

That's why, when one is in the overweight category, the general advice is either "consider doing something about it", or "just don't gain anymore". It's not until they kick down the door on obese that the advice changes to "okay, seriously, fix yourself".
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Rlha2017 wrote: »
    They tell me I'm over weight. I don't think so

ztrv9gsdwjxp.jpeg

You are the rare exception, though. You certainly don't get that muscular by accident or through mere genetics.