How do you track weight lifting session times?

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    again, HRM's are not accurate for weight training sessions...

Of course they are. If it says 120 bpm, my heart is going 120 bpm. Best to wear a chest strap for weight training, wrist movements can throw some of the optical ones off.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I run to weight room, so I use my HRM during that. Then I'll keep it going if my heart rate stays above 120 bpm. I do crossfit WOD after heavy lifts, so I definitely track on my HRM, it's funny to see what Jack's up your heart rate. Then I input as cardiovascular calestinics vigorous and I'll knick off maybe 50 call burned from what my HRM says. Now a word of warning, HRM is suppose to be best for steady state cardiovascular, but I keep my calorie goal very low, so I can compensate for miscalculation.

• Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to use 100 calories as a guess for weightlifting calories but when my weight loss plateaued, I quit adding them.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just track the whole lifting session start to finish (including 90-180 second rests between sets), using a HR monitor to estimate calories... on my HR monitor I can see my HR jump up quite a bit during warmup sets (no rests between sets), then consistently spike during every full weight set then drop during each short rest. It may not be super accurate (as many posters have stated), but I think it more or less captures the effort and it's good enough for me.

This-just a guesstimate-we all know it's not exact as nothing really is. MFP estimates are so far off, it's comical.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You are better served just throwing it into your daily activity level especially if you are on a schedule.

It is virtually impossible to determine the calorie burn from lifting as there are so many variables, most of which has been covered already. HRMs are useless for calorie burn tracking during weight lifting. You are better off just guessing really.

Unfortunately, you don't burn a ton from lifting but the "rewards" are far greater than calorie burn.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't add them. I lift for strength and overall fitness, not for calorie burn.
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Jcl81 wrote: »
    Use a heart monitor that calculates calories burned is your best option. I myself do not track calories burned from weightlifting, the after burn alone makes it hard to know how many calories are burned. Then there is intensity, if it's full body or a split, so on so forth.

I don't calculate calories burned either. Honestly, counting calories burned from exercise, even when you have a device to help you, can be terribly skewed. Working at an intense speed on an elliptical for 45 minutes burns about the same amount of calories as 20 minutes walking on a steep incline. That kind of difference deters me from trying to even begin tracking calories burned from weight training. If you're weight training and trying to lose weight, honestly just watch your protein intake and give yourself a couple hundred calories of leeway in your calories. It's better to be safe than sorry!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I usually just note the start time and the end time, then estimate from there. Though to be fair I have very little rest time between sets [30 seconds between sets, 1 minute between exercises], so most of that time goes to the actual lifting.