August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    So weird having a rest day today. But I figured an easy way to eliminate some miles for cutback week was to cut out a run or 2.

On another note, next week saturday is going to be interesting. 10 mile LR at 0530, then running a 5k mud run with a team from work at around 1000-1100. I'm thinking I'm going to be quite tired by Saturday afternoon.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    @Ohhim

I read a story about a Bouldern Ironman participate getting hit and killed along a portion of the highway over the weekend. I've really never paid a lot of attention to the Ironman but figured that the course would be closed. Is it common to have to bike on an open highway?

My last one had shared rural roads and some cars to contend with (rural 2 lane highways). My prior 2 triathlons (trirock & Pittsburgh) had at least 1 fully closed lane. At boulder, they coned off the area where the accident occurred, and I think driver error was the case. Had 2 friends who I ride with on Friday qualify for Kona at that race (just found out a second friend got a roll down slot), so a bit bittersweet for them to achieve it at a race with a fatality.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Long run planned today....going to slow it waaay down at 70% max heart rate, hopefully 10 miles today...still very hot at Naptown....84 degrees, 91HI, and 52% humidity. Will check in later.

Achieved goal of 10 miles.....but unable to slow to 70% ...at all. First mile, averaged 75%, then next 6 miles at 80-82%; Felt good, breathing well, focused on posture, arm placement and slowing my steps. Then legs and feet became very sore and I felt like I had to pick up the pace to stretch out my hips...and I noticed that my heart rate decreased by 3%. Co-incidence? It happened on 3 other occasions in the last couple of miles...I really tried to focus on keeping the heart rate down, still at 79-83%. After completing mile 9.25, sprinted the last 3/4 mile...ended with 96% heart rate, but not really breathing hard or bent over trying to catch my breath like I usually am when going full out. ...it took forever (nearly 2.5 hours for 10 miles)....but going to try it again in a couple of weeks. Not sore at all. Even cut my recovery walk (jumping jacks, high knees, etc) short due to my husband needing me to help with the yard.

August 1---poison ivy....rest day
    August 2....;poison ivy....rest day
    August 3....dr.'s visit for the poison ivy....put on Prednisone....rest again
    August 4....4 miles....
    August 5....husband's 65th birthday....celebration with friends.
    August 6.....10 miles

Total for August.... 14 miles....goal is 85...

August 7....still with poison ivy....rest day...actually I work the night shift.
    August 8th...weight lifting, Spinning class...then 3.87 miles on the treadmill. Decided to try to keep the pace slow again....Averaged 80% of max heart rate with high of 87% ....pretty good control...Rolling hills program. Pace of 13:02 minute miles. Increased pace during cool down slightly ...just to see...heart rate dipped x 2 minutes and then increased to 82%. No detectable soreness during run or afterward.

The prednisone is keeping me from sleeping...only 3 hours of sleep today. I am ready to be done with the taper.

Total for August ----17.87 miles. goal is 85.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    08/01- 7.2km
    08/02- 3.9km
    08/03- 12.5km
    08/04- Active Rest Day (taking the babies to the zoo)
    08/05- Rest Day
    08/06- Rest Day (wedding)
    08/07- 11km
    08/08- 8.8km

exercise.png
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek
    8/04: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/05: Off, active rest day - leisurely biking and walking
    8/06: 13.1 miles, long and super easy
    8/07: 10K race (51:59 - 6.30 miles) + 2.13 mile warm up
    8/08: Off, rest day
    Total: 37.7 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K 51:59 - not my best by a long shot but I'll take it
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 Prednisone side effects can be awful :(

@RespectTheKitty I read that article before and liked it too :) I haven't done any races and don't intend to. It's not my thing but I think it's great for other people. Lol.

I had an issue come up today and ended up doing my evening workout at a family member's house. I figured what the heck. Warmed up, did that 7 minute scientific workout, then a fitness blender 5 min squat/lunge workout, then my own plank workout for about 5 min, with bits of cardio between each transition. Cool down and stretch. Then I got a whim to try running around for several minutes which seemed to go well! I was alone in the house btw ;) So 45 min total for that workout.

Crossing my fingers (xx) that I can run tomorrow morning! I've also realized I've been strangely productive while not running. Like major cleaning and organizing going on. When I haven't been napping due to lack of sleep! Ha.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

@RespectTheKitty ....Thank you so much for posting this article....and yes, it speaks to me too. I have participated in 4 HM since I started running...and the last HM was a very different experience from the first. The last race was very crowded....I was more concerned about how I was pacing in the race than experiencing the crowd, the bands, and cheering, etc. because I wanted to PR in the race (which I did), but when I thought back on my experience...really didn't enjoy it as much as the first time I ran one. It was a very crowded race and I had a difficult time getting around walkers and had to practically stop a couple of times to avoid running into them.

I also find that racing can be expensive: there is a time-commitment, parking challenges....etc..However, I still love doing it..I really enjoy the expos, meeting other runners, race day....the pictures afterward. I have been using it as a yardstick mainly....and have been averaging 2 races a year...which is enough for me.

My main reason for running is partly for weight loss, but mainly to challenge my fitness limits. Also I noticed that it has helped me de-stress from a stressful job, clear my head, allow me some alone time....raise my serotonin levels (that "happiness" hormone)...and other benefits that I am just beginning to explore.

My husband just kind of puts up with it. Some of my friends admire it and others think that I am really weird. I guess that I am at the point of my life that I feel that I am just getting started, that I have caught my second wind....time to start "ramping" it.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

August goal.....run

8/1 3.12....and I struggled through that!
    8/2 snorkel 4 hours
    8/3 life
    8/4 more life
    8/5 3.15
    8/6 4.00
    8/7 lazy (can't blame life) (however, I DID mow the 2 acres and muck out the chicken coop, so I wasn't a complete slug....)
    8/8 5.83

Total 16.10

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer in August or September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Good luck, @TravelBear87 ! Yep, I too find it hard to go slow, being fairly new at running (11 months).

Good article, @RespectTheKitty I like that term, "Training to train".

The two half marathons I've done have both been just around my home town in my own time. I'm an introvert, and these large events scare me. I'm doing well to enjoy parkrun as much as I do. I'm doing a (walking) event in the big city for the first with friends in October. Bit nervous!

2 Aug – 10.1 km
    4 Aug – Body Balance then 13 km
    6 August – 8.1 km
    7 August – 21.3 km
    9 August – 10.3 km

Goal: 160 km / 100 miles
    Total: 62.8 km / 39 miles

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon 21.1 km
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km if I'm up to it

Did a 10 km recovery run this morning after my HM Sunday. It was really windy, and I struggled a bit. Was also struggling to slow down, as you do.

Been having an attack of hypochondria today. Had a few twinges in my shins which are slightly freaking me out.

I was so worried I even did the unthinkable and Googled "what do shin splints feel like", but surprisingly, an article (from Runner's World) eased my fears, and they don't sound like what I'm feeling.

It seems I'm a bit sore in the tibialis anterior.

D15083-02G.jpg

Will enjoy my rest day tomorrow.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Aug  2     5.0      5.0 
    Aug  3     5.8     10.8 
    Aug  4     4.3     15.1 
    Aug  6     5.6     20.7 
    Aug  7     5.1     25.8 
    Aug  9     5.1     30.9 

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @TravelBear87 Yes it gets easier as you go through the HM training plans. It should get to where you won't need one, because your body and you will be in sync. (Insert insync song of your choice here) . It's too early for me. 0522.

I used Galloways plan, it was more time oriented so I could chose the best place and not be ruled or intimidated by the miles. Just saying, so you don't get discouraged!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rest day today due to an early morning meeting in a different building. I may not comment often but I am liking/awesoming/insightfulling you all! Keep it up!

Happy Tuesday to all!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    One other thing: Does anyone have any recommendations for strengthening the glutes? I think mine might need some work, as I've been developing a little bit of discomfort on the right side when I'm not running.

@RespectTheKitty - You've already got a lot of suggestions for strengthening glutes, but it might not be the glutes. When I went to the PT for help recovering from being stupid, she identified a weak tensor facia latta. One of the things she gave me for it was a stretch which hurt on the right side where it felt like the glutes to me.

The 20-20 hindsight "aha" realization is that this was the same spot that ached after I ran a PR half at the net downhill Good Life Halfsy. At that time, I had thought it was from sitting on my butt driving a car too long. Then it showed up again in the wake of the net downhill Boston Marathon . . . almost certainly the same issue, only worse after 26.2 miles than after 13.1.

If what's making you hurt is compensation for something weak, what's weak might not be hurting and can be hard to identify. Fixing stuff like that is a PT's strong point. "Developing a little bit of discomfort . . . when I'm not running" seems to suggest that this could be the case.

Long distance runners usually don't use the tensor fasciae a lot. So it's weak. That's why drills help. You know which athletes have strong tensor fasciae? Sprinters. Because they sprint a lot, even in training. Long distance runners don't. So do your drills and strides folks

• lps1dragonfly
    lps1dragonfly Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wahoo! Found you all! I think I may be a weekly visitor. I hope to be online tomorrow checking everything out. I am usually off on Wednesday's so I think this can work. I may even get a fancy ticker just to see how I'm really progressing. I hope you all have an awesome day!

Hockeytown 5k is exactly a month away today! EECK!!!! I know I can run about half of it without stopping! I must get my nose to the grindstone and I will do the whole thing as planned! WOOOOOOO!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5
    8/2 4 miles - 26.5 << Daily Double
    8/3 5 miles - 31.5
    8/4 9 miles - 40.5
    8/4 4 miles - 44.5 << Daily Double
    8/5 5.25 miles - 49.75
    8/6 20.97 miles - 70.72
    8/7 REST DAY
    8/8 7 miles - 77.72
    8/8 4 miles - 81.72 << Daily Double
    8/9 9 miles - 90.72

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1
    8/4- 7.82
    8/5- 4
    8/6- 13.11
    8/7- REST
    8/8- REST <- beginning of cutback week
    8/9: 5.01

total/monthly goal: 47.12/125

Notes on today: plan called for 40-50 minutes at easy pace for the first run of cutback week. I really did not want to get out of bed today. After 2 days off running, and staying up late last night, I just wasn't feeling it this morning. Net result: I ran 5.01 miles at 9:38 pace, the second half of the run straight into a headwind, after running threw a microburst thunderstorm during the first half.