August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    On the med thing. I hate my genetics. On BP meds, but since I started running, I got taken off my cholesterol meds. Got both those lovely problems from me dad. Unfortunately, the BP hasn't gone away, but at least now I can eat how I want and the cholesterol stays in normal range, due to running.

I can 100% relate to this. My BP and cholesterol issues are also completely my father's fault. I've had slightly elevated cholesterol since I first had full blood work done around the age of 8 or 9. For years, my blood pressure would spike big time when I was stressed, but it has been steadily elevated for about the past two years. When I was "overweight" it was only ever by about 8 lbs, and I have been relatively athletic and active my entire life - I have played some sort of sport, regularly took aerobics classes, or ran ever since I started gymnastics at the age of 3. Diabetes also runs rampant on all sides of my family, so I'm looking forward to most likely dealing with that somewhere down the line. Yay genetics! :frowning:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-stung by a bee yesterday. was told i shouldn't run today :(
    2-leg was doing well but woke up in pain this morning and a little swelling, putting run off till tomorrow just in case.
    3-1.66 mi and an 1hr of foam rolling class.
    4-nothing
    5-nothing yet. aerial yoga or a run maybe-might have a kidney infection. i have to wait for results
    6-nothing
    7-renfair. i walked 5 miles but no running
    8-slept in-recovering from faire
    9-back and neck seizing up :frowning: and i was up early and everything
    10-2.01mi and 1 hour foam rollling
    11-nope
    12-date night
    13-8.02mi it felt good but was rough
    14-nope
    15-nope
    16-cold/flare
    17-nothing
    18-maybe this afternoon after work. kidneys hurt again even thought tests say everything is fine. stupid autoimmune

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 milwaukee has fun opportunities and there is a great group called badgerland striders here.
    we have a couple of research colleges, GE, and a few other companies that might be looking for chemist sorta people

@HonuNui lol.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    You are in the stage we call, "Embrace the suck!". Keep at it, and it will no longer suck, but then you stop improving.

Which is where I invented the mantra, "Invent new ways to make it suck."
    I know that if I want to Boston Qualify some day and continue to improve, then if it's easy and enjoyable, I am not doing enough to get to Boston. But that's just how I am wired, I am very goal orientated. If's it's not a challenge to me then I get bored and I go do something else.

Other people do have this zen attitude with running. They just go and run and are able to just zone out and forget the watch, forget the pace, forget the pain, and just run for the sake of running. No goals, no BQs, no PRs, just pure endorphines.
    SO. MUCH. THIS. Might have to print it out and poster it up or something.

Seriously, I love this. I understand that some people just run for pleasure, and relaxing, and enjoyment, but I'm constantly looking for the next goal or PR I can hit. I struggle with easy runs because I always feel like I should be pushing. Right now, my motivation of embracing the suck of summer running is running my first half marathon (I've done 1 before, but it was with an overuse injury that blew up at mile 6 and caused me to walk the 2nd half - failure in my crazy brain - and which led to my prolonged period of falling out of running), and getting back to my former 5k PR time of 22:50 (I have a long ways to go seeing as I'm at just under 29:00 right now). I'm not sure where/if it's going to stop, I always used to say I'd be happy maxing out at half marathons, but now I've already decided that I'm definitely going to go for a full marathon by the end of next year. I'm an all or nothing kind of person with exercise in general. When I get out of it, I am so lazy, but once I get back into it it's full-force addicted to it, lol.

Now don't misunderstand me. Easy runs are supposed to be run easy.
    But the more challenging runs should be run in a way that will make you feel uncomfortable.
    When I invent new ways to suck, that means I find something each week that is going to take me from down here to up there. Maybe it means instead of doing 8 hill repeats on Thursday, I now bump it up to 10. Or Monday and Thursday I will sneak 5 of the 9 miles in at goal marathon pace. Or instead of 15 mile long run this week, it's an 18 or 20 miler. Something a little extra added that will make me feel it this week.

On the other hand, if every run you do, you feel like you are pushing it, then every run migrates to this mediocre state. The easy runs are ran too hard which means you don't recover enough so that you can run the tempo run (or whatever hard workout you have planned) is actually being done at your threshold pace. Instead you are just a bit slower. It sucks when you are running, but the effort is not enough to achieve whatever it was you were supposed to achieve.

As far as bumping my goals. I ran my first marathon after running for 14 months. I remember that first December 2013, I was only running for 2 months. The local paper had a headline Local Man Wins Rocket City Marathon. I thought to myself, these guys are crazy for running that much. Exactly 12 months later, I was running that very same Rocket Marathon for the very first time. LOL

And yes. When I say that I am goal orientated and what not. How you described it is exactly how I am. All or nothing. I get bored. I get lazy. I slack off. Ok, this is stupid. Let me do something else.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Random note on running in the morning. Seeing bats going after bugs, and watching an orange/purple/gold sunrise ahead of me, with full dark and a full moon behind me, is all I really need to help me get going in the morning.

That is really one of a kind experience! Beautiful!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Today's run was hard. I had a really tough time through the last km. I started to do some strength exercises after my runs since Tuesday, and I feel it all over. I find that I can't do a strength training session on its own, it's too boring, I don't feel like I'm moving enough. Apparently, I'm very much addicted to running outdoors and exploring the paths near work and home. :smiley:

Have a great day everyone!

exercise.png

1/8: REST
    2/8: 5.30 km + 20 mins yoga
    3/8: 5.38 km + 20 mins yoga
    4/8: 5.39 km + 20 mins yoga
    5/8: 5.43 km + 20 mins yoga
    6/8: 4.50 km (Walked Colour Vibe due to terrain on course, and it wasn`t even a true 5K)
    7/8: 6.05 km + 20 mins yoga
    8/8: 5.37 km + 20 mins yoga (New PR! 5K in 34:31)
    9/8: REST (early morning meeting; walked all over instead)
    10/8: 5.40 km + 20 mins yoga (New PR! 5K in 33:59)
    11/8: 5.42 km + 20 mins yoga
    12/8: 5.16 km + 20 mins yoga
    13/8: REST
    14/8: LIFE
    15/8: 5.22 km + 20 mins yoga (New PR! 5K in 33:25) + 4.24 km in the evening
    16/8: 5.40 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training (tried Strides for the first time, only managed to do 3)
    17/8: 5.39 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training (1 Stride done)
    18/8: 5.42 km + 20 mins yoga + some strength training
    19/8:
    20/8: REST
    21/8:
    22/8:
    23/8:
    24/8:
    25/8:
    26/8:
    27/8:
    28/8: REST
    29/8:
    30/8:
    31/8:

Current PR: 5K in 33:25 / 10K in 1:17:??

Races:

6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    You are in the stage we call, "Embrace the suck!". Keep at it, and it will no longer suck, but then you stop improving.

Which is where I invented the mantra, "Invent new ways to make it suck."
    I know that if I want to Boston Qualify some day and continue to improve, then if it's easy and enjoyable, I am not doing enough to get to Boston. But that's just how I am wired, I am very goal orientated. If's it's not a challenge to me then I get bored and I go do something else.

Other people do have this zen attitude with running. They just go and run and are able to just zone out and forget the watch, forget the pace, forget the pain, and just run for the sake of running. No goals, no BQs, no PRs, just pure endorphines.
    SO. MUCH. THIS. Might have to print it out and poster it up or something.

Seriously, I love this. I understand that some people just run for pleasure, and relaxing, and enjoyment, but I'm constantly looking for the next goal or PR I can hit. I struggle with easy runs because I always feel like I should be pushing. Right now, my motivation of embracing the suck of summer running is running my first half marathon (I've done 1 before, but it was with an overuse injury that blew up at mile 6 and caused me to walk the 2nd half - failure in my crazy brain - and which led to my prolonged period of falling out of running), and getting back to my former 5k PR time of 22:50 (I have a long ways to go seeing as I'm at just under 29:00 right now). I'm not sure where/if it's going to stop, I always used to say I'd be happy maxing out at half marathons, but now I've already decided that I'm definitely going to go for a full marathon by the end of next year. I'm an all or nothing kind of person with exercise in general. When I get out of it, I am so lazy, but once I get back into it it's full-force addicted to it, lol.

Now don't misunderstand me. Easy runs are supposed to be run easy.
    But the more challenging runs should be run in a way that will make you feel uncomfortable.
    When I invent new ways to suck, that means I find something each week that is going to take me from down here to up there. Maybe it means instead of doing 8 hill repeats on Thursday, I now bump it up to 10. Or Monday and Thursday I will sneak 5 of the 9 miles in at goal marathon pace. Or instead of 15 mile long run this week, it's an 18 or 20 miler. Something a little extra added that will make me feel it this week.

On the other hand, if every run you do, you feel like you are pushing it, then every run migrates to this mediocre state. The easy runs are ran too hard which means you don't recover enough so that you can run the tempo run (or whatever hard workout you have planned) is actually being done at your threshold pace. Instead you are just a bit slower. It sucks when you are running, but the effort is not enough to achieve whatever it was you were supposed to achieve.

As far as bumping my goals. I ran my first marathon after running for 14 months. I remember that first December 2013, I was only running for 2 months. The local paper had a headline Local Man Wins Rocket City Marathon. I thought to myself, these guys are crazy for running that much. Exactly 12 months later, I was running that very same Rocket Marathon for the very first time. LOL

And yes. When I say that I am goal orientated and what not. How you described it is exactly how I am. All or nothing. I get bored. I get lazy. I slack off. Ok, this is stupid. Let me do something else.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I still do my easy runs easy. It's just a mental effort to make sure I don't push while I'm doing them, lol.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles
    8/3 - rest day
    8/4 - 6 miles
    8/5 - 6 miles
    8/6 - rest day - went to a race with Skip
    8/7 - 10 miles
    8/8 - unscheduled rest day
    8/9 - 6 miles
    8/10 - 6 miles
    8/11 - 6 miles in and out of the misty rain - so nice!
    8/12 - 3 miles
    8/13 - rest day
    8/14 - 10 miles
    8/15 - rest day Skip had an early dentist appt
    8/16 - 6 miles
    8/17 - 6 miles
    8/18 - 5 miles

82 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

Got out of the gate alittle late this morning and my legs felt a bit tired so I went with 5. :smiley:

@9voice9 twig and berries - ha ha!!!!

• Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5
    8/2 4 miles - 26.5 << Daily Double
    8/3 5 miles - 31.5
    8/4 9 miles - 40.5
    8/4 4 miles - 44.5 << Daily Double
    8/5 5.25 miles - 49.75
    8/6 20.97 miles - 70.72
    8/7 REST DAY
    8/8 7 miles - 77.72
    8/8 4 miles - 81.72 << Daily Double
    8/9 9 miles - 90.72
    8/9 5 miles - 95.72 << Daily Double
    8/10 5 miles - 100.72
    8/11 9 miles - 109.72
    8/11 5 miles - 114.72 << Daily Double
    8/12 5 miles - One Hundred Nineteen, point seventy two
    8/13 16 miles - 135.72
    8/14 REST DAY
    8/15 8 miles - 143.72
    8/16 8 miles - 151.72
    8/17 5 miles - 156.72
    8/18 9.5 miles - 166.22

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Brain bleach sounds great (margarita style). So I may have to sneak around like a teen. :blush:
    In case there are no margaritas around, maybe this helps a little too ;)

@Somebody_Loved I think if I had ever tried to put a leash on my cat, the photo would have looked a little different. Mostly, with me bleeding from cuts oll over, holding the remains of a shredded leash :D He loved being outside, but the only time we ever tried putting an anti-tick-collar on him, he nearly strangled himself trying to get it off.
    I've sometimes seen people with with cats on campsites, and thought it would be nice if you could take the cat on vacation with you, but I have no idea how they managed to convince their cats of that!

@MNLittleFinn Were your new trail shoes in the running warehouse box? Which ones did you get?

--

I'm really behind on running this week.
    Tuesday I went hiking with some colleagues. Not as much as planned: we drove over to the mountains right after work, and as soon as we arrived, a heavy storm came out of nowhere. After half an hour spent sitting in the car, listening to the thunder and watching the hail impact on the windscreen, we gave up and drove to the next village for some beer and "flammekueche". Two hours later, we were back at the mountain; but it was already too late to hike all the way to the top of the mountain before nightfall. We only went ~2km before turning back. I know why I avoid running there - no trail less than 20% incline anywhere to be found in that area! 2km forward corresponded to almost 0.5km up, so it was still exhausting enough that I didn't feel like running anymore when I came home.

Somewhere along the way, I foolishly invited everyone to my place for dinner today; so I spent the entire evening yesterday shopping, tidying, cleaning (necessary after dragging the mud from the hiking boots all over the place), getting extra chairs and another little table from the cellar and then rearranging all other furniture to be able to squeeze everything in my little living room. When I was done, I was soaked in sweat, my "dinner" had been a few cookies munched along the way, and it was past midnight. I was actually looking forward to a "relaxing" run as a reward for all that hard work, but after the first couple of steps I realised I had ZERO energy. My training plan said 14.5km, but there was no way that was happening. I decided I'm just going to call this week an unplanned cutback week and settled for a nice easy jog (yes, jog) to enjoy the night air and the pretty werewolf moon >:) .
    Now I'll have to see if I manage at least a quick run tonight between work and dinner...
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ yup my new trail shoes I got the Saucony Xodus. For what I do they are great, and they are about the same weight as my other shoes. Also got a box of honey stinger gels.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    8/1 - 40 mins total body strength + pilates, 20 min light cardio, stretching
    8/2 - 3 mi walk - .75 mi of which was running intervals to test out my leg
    8/3 - 3.1 mi walk - again I ran about .75 mi in short intervals, also a few tiny hill repeats
    8/4 - 20 min light cardio, 55 min strength&pilates
    8/5 - 3 mi walk
    8/6 - back to school shopping wore me out!
    8/7 - just totally being a lazy bum here....no excuse :(
    8/8 - 20 min light cardio....45 min mix of strength and pilates with a little cardio
    8/9 - .5 mile warm up walk...3 mile RUN :smiley::smiley::smiley:
    8/10 - 3 mile walk, 20 minutes pilates/body weight exercises
    8/11 - .5 mi walk/3 mi run/.5 mi walk
    8/12 - 3 mi run
    8/13 - Funeral day and yardwork
    8/14 - .5 mi walk, 4 mi run with 3 third mile hill repeats, .5 mi walk......17 min pilates/body weight exercises
    8/15 - 3 mi walk.....20 min light cardio
    8/16 - 3.1 mi walk AM......PM - 10 min warm up cardio then 45 min strength training
    8/17 - 45 min indoor cardio, 15 min light walking in my office :)
    8/18 - 3.25 mi walk......hopefully pilates later

Running Goal: 13 of I QUIT :-p
    Non-running goals: Take my strength training more seriously this month/Lose 5lbs (3lbs down!)

The morning walks are nice....but I miss running. It was tempting to try it this morning. Trying to remember to ice the back of my knee a few times a day.

By the way, I did NOT want to get up this morning. I don't think I've ever wanted to get out of bed even once in my life actually. But anyway......got dressed to go walk, got my precious/evil Diet Coke and proceeded to make hubby's coffee. Well, I stinkin' forgot to put the cup under the Keurig and coffee started running all over the counter! Ugh. What a mess.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Man all this bashing on summer and the nice warm/hot weather. Where my lizards at?! I need to find a heat buddy, I love running in the dead heat of the day. I could also find a big rock and just lay there completely happy so maybe I'm just part lizard man (the dinosaurs didn't die, they evolved).

Also if anyone is looking for some cross training type activities and are short on equipment/space I would strongly recommend Darebee.com. 90% bodyweight stuff that is designed around working out at your house. Free site with a good community attached to it.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    OK, I have a question for y'all.

Today I woke up with some weird tightness in my right leg that I've not experienced before. It starts at the top of my quad and radiates around my glute to my hamstring. Is this the IT band? I've never had any experience with IT band issues, so I have no idea what to do about this discomfort. As it is, I'm taking a rest day today to let it recover.

Edit: I think it may be time to invest in a foam roller.
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Man all this bashing on summer and the nice warm/hot weather. Where my lizards at?! I need to find a heat buddy, I love running in the dead heat of the day. I could also find a big rock and just lay there completely happy so maybe I'm just part lizard man (the dinosaurs didn't die, they evolved).

Also if anyone is looking for some cross training type activities and are short on equipment/space I would strongly recommend Darebee.com. 90% bodyweight stuff that is designed around working out at your house. Free site with a good community attached to it.

I cannot say I love running in the heat, but I do it because I love what running in the heat does. if you need a heat running partner, come to Alabama USA. :-)

Today I woke up with some weird tightness in my right leg that I've not experienced before. It starts at the top of my quad and radiates around my glute to my hamstring. Is this the IT band? I've never had any experience with IT band issues, so I have no idea what to do about this discomfort. As it is, I'm taking a rest day today to let it recover.

Foam Rolling is good. Maybe also look into yoga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmzfot_6HcE

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 2.23 - HS XC Practice
    8/2 - 6.0 - Easy
    8/2 - 4.15 - Easy
    8/3 - 15.03 - Easy
    8/4 - 6.0 - Recovery
    8/5 - 11.06 Easy + 3.47 @ MP XC Practice
    8/6 - 7.0 Easy W/ 10 x 160M Strides
    8/7 - 10.22 MP
    8/8 - 4.38 Recovery
    9/9 - 9.53 Easy
    9/10 - 11.05 VO2Max workout with 6x600 w/ 400 recovery @ 5k pace.
    9/11 - 6.02 Recovery
    8/12 - 12.49 - Easy w/ 6.3 @ MP
    8/13 - 8.5 Easy
    8/14 - 22.01 - Long Run
    8/15 - 3.0 - Recovery
    8/16 -10.06 - Easy
    8/17 - 16.21 - Easy
    8/18 - 5.4 - Recovery

Total 173.42 of 285 miles

Today was a recovery day, nice and easy, Tomorrow is one of the 2-3 workouts on my plan that i'm not all that excited about. 12 miles total w/ 7 at Threshold. I guess this is the embrace the suck workout.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 8x1000m cruise intervals, total mileage about 8 miles. Thinking, if my ankle feels good to run, I'll just do like 8-9 miles easy instead, so I can get the mileage, but not the pounding the faster work adds.

I thought about you at some point in my run, I know kinda creepy right? I had a feeling you'd run, and not really do it easy. :) 9 miles at 9:22 pace.

• Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Options
    xItbandpicture.jpg.pagespeed.ic.hRq1p6WiZO.jpg

The IT Band is actually (look at the picture above) the long muscle (in white) that starts at the top from the gluteous medius and stretches all the way down to the outside part of your knee to the top of your shin.

http://www.pilates-back-joint-exercise.com/it-band-syndrome.html
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

In my case IT band issues hurt around the outside of my knee. You might be hurting more in your sciatic or piriformis nerve. I have a compressed disc in my lower back and it presses on my sciatic nerve. Every day I feel pain in the middle of my butt cheek that radiates down through my hamstring area. When I'm running it feels a bit like a hamstring pull. Definitely get a foam roller.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @5512bf 9:22 wasn't too crazy, the downhills on the run really helped. Going by average HR, I was just at the top of zone 2. That said, yeah, I could have gone slower. It just felt right B)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn i love my xodus. and the waterproof works.
    @RespectTheKitty foam rolling is good. yoga is good too. do both. i teach both. I love it. i would say a 36in roller is nice for home use