August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Today felt like a fast day, lol. Probably because after the last few weeks it felt almost cool outside (is it sad when almost 83 degrees feels almost cool to run in?). But it really is amazing what a difference a slightly lower temperature, lower humidity, and a fantastic breeze make. Today's pace was 9:33, while yesterday's was 10:09, yet my average hr was only 2 bpm higher today. I seriously can't wait to see what my running looks like once real fall weather hits!

e1lirmamc7og.jpg

RCADD 5k for Recovery (maybe???) – 8/27
    South Nyack 10 Miler – 9/11
    Adirondacks Distance Festival ½ Marathon – 9/25
    Sleepy Hollow 10k – 10/22
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I seriously can't wait to see what my running looks like once real fall weather hits!

I here you on that. My run today gravitated to my goal MP with cooler lower humidity weather with easy efforts. Knock off another 25-30 degrees and my Marathon might be a cake walk, I hope anyways.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

@Elise4270 :smiley: Been there, done that, ran out of brain bleach to try and forget it! :smiley:

Bwahaahaa! Cracking up at the "brain bleach" comment. I could definitely use more of that! @Elise4270 I think you should go somewhere with year-round beautiful running/ swimming weather...no humidity, mosquitos, polar vortexes....is there an actual place like this on Earth? Definitely avoid Chicago area/ midwest US in general...

I half looked for a job this morning. Nothing looked promising. It has to be somewhere with a refinery, idk or something I can do without a pay cut.. Maybe Washington state or Oregon where Oiselle is. Wait. Aren't there bears that way? Alabama and Florida are absolutely out too. What about Tennessee? Lol!

DH is in recovery. Brain bleach sounds great (margarita style). So I may have to sneak around like a teen. :blush:

@luluinca You're here. You're a runner :wink:
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270, Lol, I guess I am. Just not used to being one yet! I'm still having trouble believing I enjoy it.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @cljoe7 - I hope running will start being more enjoyable for you once the weather gets cooler and less humid. Summers always kind of suck. Even if you're in a place that may not be considered super hot, it's still warmer than what you--being acclimated to that place--are used to. I personally struggle with most runs in the summer, but LOVE cold weather running.

I went out for my run over lunch today and it was only about 80 degrees, but 70+% humidity. It felt like an absolute drag. I very strongly considered walking up the hill that takes me back into downtown. Even though I was only doing about 12:00/mile, I felt like I was just dying. Legs weren't tired, but my respiratory system was struggling. I think I am a little dehydrated and had too much salt this morning (canadian bacon on a breakfast sandwich, mixed nuts, cheese, ham). Anyway, I forced myself to make it up the hill at a "run". At that point, I only had about 3/4 mile left to go, so I pushed through and managed to run the whole 3 miles.

21.5 of 40 miles completed for the month. (Edited mileage, because I can't add)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @cljoe7 Hang in there! It really will get better :)
    @ceciliaslater Way to push through!
    @Elise4270 You crack me up. How many people consider the bear population when looking to relocate? Hehe.
    @KatieJane83 That's awesome. I just read an article yesterday about how the humidity affects us while running.
    @luluinca I think 3 miles is magic. Once you get to 3 miles, you suddenly look forward to running :-p

It's currently 83 with 56% humidity. Last week we were under a heat advisory with heat index of 104. To think of all the suffering I went through to wind up "injured" as soon as the heat broke. LOL I see a 59F in our 10 day forecast. Oh Lord, please let this pain go away!!!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @luluinca @ceciliaslater @skippygirlsmom & @greenolivetree thanks for the encouragement! I really needed it today. Hope it is partly because of the weather, not just that I'm getting old & I suck at running :neutral:

@Elise4270 I bet you could take on the bears
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    8/1 .......... Rest
    8/2 .....5
    8/3 .....3.1
    8/4 ...13.7
    8/5 .....2.2
    8/6 .....3.1
    8/7 .......... Hiked 5+ miles
    8/8 .......... Rest
    8/9 .....8.1
    8/10 ........ Skipped...
    8/11 .10...
    8/12 ........ Skipped...
    8/13 ...2.4
    8/14 ........ Rest
    8/15 ...6.2
    8/16 ........ Rest
    8/17 ...3.8

Total according to Strava: 58

Having a hard time to stay at easy pace today. Not sure if it was the coffee in the morning, the anticipation of the HM on Sunday, or the school traffic that made me very aware of my usual slow pace, I kept running faster soon after slowing down...

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @somebody_loved Love it!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom feel like such an excuse maker. sigh. always an excuse

@Somebody_Loved i taught my friend's cat to be on a leash, but i cannot imagine her running. the grass freaked her out
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My little guy is fascinated by the bucket of ice water I'm soaking my foot/ankle in
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 when we aren't feeling good it's not an excuse, it's a reason. Hang in there!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My cat is part squirrel, so she would freak if I tried to: A) put a leash on her, and B) go outdoors. lol
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    3rd - 5 miles
    7th - 6 miles (my 10k race)
    10th - 5 miles
    14th - 4 miles
    17th - 4 miles - not a good one. chest felt really heavy at mile 3, slowed pace a little and it improved so continued to end of mile 4, but at the end when we stopped, the world went black for a few minutes. think combination of lack of sleep, not sufficiently hydrated and anxiety levels quite high at the moment.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    ah, @skippysmom , but i'm never feeling well
  • TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Logging another 3.26 miles!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    All these people running today are making me jealous. Here's hoping my foot/ankle feel good to go for my 8 miler by 0400

My son hasn't run in a few days because his peroneal tendon seems to be irritated and painful. I stuck him in a boot yesterday. He listened? He's still in it... 21 must be the age they actually start listening to you! Haha!

Be careful with that ankle. An ounce of prevention...

@mbaker566 I haven't been following your ailment, I may not be on point. If you don't feel well, don't hesitate to cross train, walk, swim, visit your doc or just plain take a week off. Stay healthy (because we love your company and love other runners).

You too @samthepanda . Take it easy. Especially if you're out in the heat. Hope you get to feeling better asap.