August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater I'm so happy for you! Sounds like you're doing great!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I agree with @5512bf I wouldn't worry if it's below 25%. It should state, you shouldn't want to normally go any more than 25-35%. If under, you are good with no worries. If you want to add a mile, you could if you feel up to it, but don't feel like you have to.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71, do you think it's possible to train for a 10K if you only run 3 days a week and cross train the other 3 days?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    That's awesome news @ceciliaslater

@luluinca I ran my first 10K where I built up to 3x a week (MWF) on a treadmill for 3.5 miles each, and I was doing 6 miles on the greenway that Saturday. I was only running from October 2013 till beginning of March 2014.

Depending on the cross training, that may be irrelevant. What's important is making sure the structural part of your body (the muscles, the joints, the bones, the tendons, ect) can withstand the beating of you landing on the ground that many times for 6.2 miles. Think about it, you are basically doing a complex hopping on one foot (alternating feet) for 6 miles. It's possible to build that strength up by only running 3x a week, depending how many miles each. If you are running 3-4 miles each 3x a week, I would say, yeah, that may be good enough. Ideally, you want to throw in a long run where you can at a minimum run 5 miles, 6 better, more than 6 is gravy. But, to do that and not break the 35% LR rule, either all of your runs are going to eventually up to 6 miles, or you add a 4th day.

If your cross training involves strength training, then that will help with some of the structural improvements (if you do squats, deadlifts, lunges) in the specific area of your muscles and maybe the joints and tendons. But, doesn't necessarily mean your bones will be strong enough from the extra cross training alone.

The breathing part (your heart, your blood, your mitochondria) yeah, that may improve with some extra cardio related cross training, but that part won't be the part that will prevent you from injury. It's the structural integrity of your lower body which will improve the best from slowly building up your miles and maybe some specific strength training in specific known weak body parts. It's whatever the weakest link in your chain is.

Sorry for the long answer. I just haven't been paying too close attention to your specific workouts and where your current fitness is, and history of injuries.
  • luluinca
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71, thanks for the answer. I wouldn't expect you to know much about what I've been doing as I've only been here about a week. I'm a swimmer and a weight lifter. I've been doing SL 5X5 for a year and just started Arnold's supersets for back/chest and biceps/triceps. I was also walking several days a week with my dog, but now we run together.

I had a shoulder injury in December which took me out of the water and also some lifting so I started running. I'm doing my first 5K on Sunday. I had no idea I would enjoy running so much and I'm really wanting to get to at least a 10K distance by November for a Turkey Trot and just because I want to....LOL

I'm 66 though and while my lower body is strong and healthy I worry about giving it too much of a beating. Would walking count for miles? I walk fast but not as fast as I run, which isn't all that fast yet.

It looks like I really need to run 4 days a week minimum though to build up right?

Injury wise just the frozen shoulder and a couple of hip flexor issues that I've taken care of I think. My knees are fine. I have 3 herniated discs but have completely changed the course of my back health over the last 3 years via core, hip and general strength improvements.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    The Humidity is Crushing my Motivation. 5.5 VERY SLOW miles. Pray for rain.
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Aug  2     5.0      5.0 
    Aug  3     5.8     10.8 
    Aug  4     4.3     15.1 
    Aug  6     5.6     20.7 
    Aug  7     5.1     25.8 
    Aug  9     5.1     30.9 
    Aug 10     6.2     37.1
    Aug 11     4.3     41.4
    Aug 13     6.3     47.7
    Aug 16     5.5     53.2

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I just hat an epiphany while out walking with my wife and little guy. I'm kind of addicted to running. I tell myself that I'm training for the HM, but That doesn't really justify the ~40mpw Average I have, not including cutback week. They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery....but I don't want to recover... I think I just love to run.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I just hat an epiphany while out walking with my wife and little guy. I'm kind of addicted to running. I tell myself that I'm training for the HM, but That doesn't really justify the ~40mpw Average I have, not including cutback week. They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery....but I don't want to recover... I think I just love to run.

I'm totally Ok with 35+ mpw for hm training. Where's @WhatMeRunning ? I'm tired of him being gone.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    8/16: 3.88 miles HM training group workout

Tough workout tonight - I expected it to be so much easier than last weeks long tempo run but the short intervals took it out of me tonight. We did 5 sets of 30-60-90 seconds, with 30 seconds recovery between intervals. 30 seconds is not enough! A storm was brewing in the distance and the wind was pretty tough on one side of the track. By the time we started our sprints it was thundering and then lightning - so I cut it short and only did 2 of the 4 sprints, then sprinted for the car. It started to rain shortly thereafter and just as I pulled into my garage the skies opened up to a torrential downpour. Glad I cut out when I did.

Strava tells me that I got my best 1k and 400m times in there, which rather surprised me because it didn't FEEL particularly fast. It felt like I was struggling. What amazes me is that the "warmup" I run in group is always faster than my normal base run pace by about a minute/mile. It feels so much easier at the workout - maybe it's the track and/or running with a group.

Team Sarcoma 5k this Saturday!

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @luluinca - You can definitely build up to the 5K distance on running 3 days a week. You can probably build up to the 10K distance on running 3 days a week, though it would be easier with 4. If you want to eventually run longer races than a 10K, you'll likely need to run at least 4 days a week.

However, you don't necessarily need to run 4 days a week right away. Total miles run isn't that big a concern for the 5K and 10K distances. Plenty of people run those distances and never run more than 12 to 15 miles a week.

I don't count walking miles toward my running total, but I did need to cut back on the walking miles when I had to build up a large weekly running mile base to train for a marathon. I don't think that will be much of a factor if you're not training for anything longer than a 10K. You're more likely to run into time constraints squeezing out some of the other stuff you want to do if you decide to train for a marathon, or possibly if you decide to train for a half.
  • MobyCarp
    Options

@MNLittleFinn - You're clearly a distance runner. Whether you decide to run a bunch of half marathons, or work up to a marathon and decide to do more of them, or decide to do ultras, or simply decide you like training runs, you're a distance runner. If 40 miles per week is comfortable and enjoyable for you, don't be ashamed of it. It's a lot healthier than 40 beers a week, or 40 hours of TV a week.
  • luluinca
    Options
    @MobyCarp , thanks for the great info. I really appreciate it. For now I'm not thinking any further than a 10K and I don't want to give up my weightlifting and will always want to swim a little.

I think I can squeeze in an extra run a week at the gym post weightlifting of at least a couple of miles so that might be a way to get that 4th run in.

After the 5k Sunday I'll work on a schedule that will get me there hopefully.

Thanks both of you for taking the time to help me out!!!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    8/1 – 5.90 easy plus 4 strides
    8/2 – 6.24 hill run
    8/3 – rest day
    8/4 – 13.56 hot and humid
    8/5 – rest day
    8/6 – 14.13 paced run
    8/7 – 7.75 almost easy
    8/8 – 6.30 easy + 4 strides
    8/9 – 7.34 warmup, easy with a few fartleks
    8/10 – 6.66 group run
    8/11 – 4.18 lunch run
    8/11 – 0.88+2.04+1.15 warmup, time trial, cool down - daily double
    8/12 – rest day
    8/13 – 7.45 warmup, Bergen 5K 19:07 PR, cool down
    8/14 – 8.05 easy plus one stride
    8/15 – 5.40 easy plus 4 strides
    8/16 – 10.76 warmup + long intervals

August total to date – 107.79

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Survive last month before retirement. Train as well as possible toward Rochester Marathon. Avoid putting myself back on the couch.

Today's notes – I got to practice a couple minutes late, and the big group doing a warmup had already left. I ran my 2 mile warmup with another member who I know has slower paces than me; but apparently his effort to keep up with me was enough to push me. I ran the warmup a bit fast for me, way too fast for him at an average pace of 7:51 per mile. That might have been a factor in the quality workout later.

Coach wasn't at practice this evening. The marathon workout he sent with another club member was 3 x 2 miles at T pace, with 3 minutes recovery. The messenger had found a marathon workout on the club's web site of 10 x Yasso 800's. The Yasso 800's were from the plan for the Erie Marathon that several club members are training for; the plan for Rochester has that next week. The stated workout from the Rochester plan was clearly more than I'm ready for, so I decided to try the 3 x 2 miles at T.

It wasn't all that hot, at 79º F (26º C), but the humidity was ridiculous and there was a light rain shower for much of the run. My T pace was slower than normal. Ran a mile easy (8:14); 2 miles at a slow T (6:52, 6:40); 3 minutes recovery at an average pace of 8:15; 2 miles of slow T (6:45, 6:51); 3 minutes recover at an average pace of 8:30; and didn't have another 2 miles of T in me. Ran the 3 miles back to base easy (8:04, 8:06, 8:14).

I'm getting really tired of running in high humidity. If it's this humid the morning of September 18, I think I'll just try to run the entire marathon at easy pace and live with whatever time that produces.

OTOH, when I look at the heart rate data it does look like I gave it honest T effort, even though the pace was off a bit. And I ran a good 3.1 miles at I pace in high humidity Saturday, when it counted. So I'm not terribly disappointed by this evening's workout. It's not what it might be if I'd been healthy enough to do all the marathon workouts from when the training plan should have started, but it's not bad for where I came from.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swim/running!, 1 mile walk
    3--- 0.5 mile walk
    4---30 minutes pool swim/ water jogging
    6---0.7 mile walk
    7---0.7 mile walk
    8---20 minute swim/weights
    9---35 minute swim
    11--- weights
    12--- 40 minute swim, 1 mile walk
    13---2.1 mile poké walk
    14---0.9 mile walk
    16---38 minute swim/ 1.6 mile walk aka *kitten* chewing for adult kids in the house and not employed. I might rethink walks with dh. Maybe I could transfer and start over. That could work. Where should I go?

Upcoming races:

10/02/16 Spirit of Survival Lawton OK Quarter Marathon.
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Decided to do another easy 9 miles tonight at a 9 pace on the treadmill instead of outside (as my last 9/mile pace run outside in the Florida 90 degree heat had a HR that was 25BPM higher), as I'm planning a century training ride tomorrow with a fast team ride during the middle 35 miles.

I was toying with the idea of registering for an intermediate distance triathlon this weekend, but decided to put the funds towards another 4-day 330 mile bike trip from Pittsburgh to DC along the GAP/C&O trail during my bridge weekend between my Half Ironman and the Chicago Marathon. Given I'm already doing about 150 miles/week of relatively intense biking, and the pace will be pretty gradual (given some companions for the trip) vs. my usual training speeds, I don't think it'll cost me too much in terms of my Chicago marathon taper as it'll finish 6 days before the race as well.

8/2 - 11 miles (w. 2 at MP)
    8/3 - 4 miles (w. 2 miles near threshold HR)
    8/5 - 12 miles
    8/6 - 11 miles
    8/7 - 20 miles
    8/8 - 7 miles (w. 6 at MP)
    8/9 - 11.5 miles
    8/11 - 10 miles
    8/12 - 20 miles (last 5 at MP)
    8/13 - 2 miles
    8/14 - 6 miles
    8/15 - 10 miles
    8/16 - 9 miles

Total: 133.5 miles, 4 session with MP/threshold HR/speedwork running
    Goal: 200 miles, 8 faster sessions
    Remaining; 66.5 miles, 4 faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll Las Vegas 10K - Nov 13
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek
    8/04: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/05: Off, active rest day - leisurely biking and walking
    8/06: 13.1 miles, long and super easy
    8/07: 10K race (51:59 - 6.30 miles) + 2.13 mile warm up
    8/08: Off, rest day
    8/09: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/10: 5 miles
    8/11: Off, injured - 45 minutes elliptical + strength training
    8/12: Off, injured - 80 minutes elliptical + core
    8/13: Off, injured - 85 minutes biking
    8/14: Off, injured - 50 minutes biking + core
    8/15: Off, injured/rest day
    8/16: Off, injured - 85 minutes biking + core
    Total: 46.7 miles

Overview:
    Yet another day of cross-training. The good news is, I'm starting to like biking a little more haha. My shin/calf/knee no longer hurts when I stand (straight leg) or walk on it, but it still hurts quite a lot to stand with a bent knee (like a one-legged squat) so running is definitely still out of the picture. Walking down stairs is nearly impossible without some major hobbling/sideways funny business too. I'm now on day 6 of not running, and am starting to feel really nervous about the Chicago Marathon. I had gotten in one 15 mile and one 16 mile long run the two weekends leading up to this injury setback, but now I'm not sure if I'll have time to build up to an 18 or 20 miler before I have to start tapering for the race. Though I suppose there is really no point in stressing/planning too much considering I'm not back to running yet :angry: I have an appointment this afternoon to get my leg checked out, so hopefully I'll know more then!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K 51:59 - not my best by a long shot but I'll take it
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon

Quick update- The good news is I (most likely) have pes anserine bursitis, a soft tissue injury, not a stress fracture or something with the joint, so with any luck I should still be able to run the Chicago Marathon in 7.5 weeks. Bad news is that I still have to take more time off before I can return to running, at least another three days -_- but the PT gave me some stretches and exercises to help pass the time haha
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

@MNLittleFinn One of those "Awesome"s is from me. Love those running epiphanies.

Yep, you love to run, and you love all the data and research that goes with it.

It's balancing on a tightrope trying to learn, run, and not get too bogged down in the details. I'm working on that too.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek
    8/04: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/05: Off, active rest day - leisurely biking and walking
    8/06: 13.1 miles, long and super easy
    8/07: 10K race (51:59 - 6.30 miles) + 2.13 mile warm up
    8/08: Off, rest day
    8/09: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/10: 5 miles
    8/11: Off, injured - 45 minutes elliptical + strength training
    8/12: Off, injured - 80 minutes elliptical + core
    8/13: Off, injured - 85 minutes biking
    8/14: Off, injured - 50 minutes biking + core
    8/15: Off, injured/rest day
    8/16: Off, injured - 85 minutes biking + core
    Total: 46.7 miles

Overview:
    Yet another day of cross-training. The good news is, I'm starting to like biking a little more haha. My shin/calf/knee no longer hurts when I stand (straight leg) or walk on it, but it still hurts quite a lot to stand with a bent knee (like a one-legged squat) so running is definitely still out of the picture. Walking down stairs is nearly impossible without some major hobbling/sideways funny business too. I'm now on day 6 of not running, and am starting to feel really nervous about the Chicago Marathon. I had gotten in one 15 mile and one 16 mile long run the two weekends leading up to this injury setback, but now I'm not sure if I'll have time to build up to an 18 or 20 miler before I have to start tapering for the race. Though I suppose there is really no point in stressing/planning too much considering I'm not back to running yet :angry: I have an appointment this afternoon to get my leg checked out, so hopefully I'll know more then!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K 51:59 - not my best by a long shot but I'll take it
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon

Quick update- The good news is I (most likely) have pes anserine bursitis, a soft tissue injury, not a stress fracture or something with the joint, so with any luck I should still be able to run the Chicago Marathon in 7.5 weeks. Bad news is that I still have to take more time off before I can return to running, at least another three days -_- but the PT gave me some stretches and exercises to help pass the time haha

@ariceroni Yep, 3 days can be an eternity! Non-runners have no idea. :smile:

Elise4270 wrote: »
    16---38 minute swim/ 1.6 mile walk aka *kitten* chewing for adult kids in the house and not employed. I might rethink walks with dh.

@Elise4270 :smiley: Been there, done that, ran out of brain bleach to try and forget it! :smiley:

The kid's doing fine with his own graphic design business. Couldn't be prouder of him. We all need help sometimes.

Ran in my new Asics Kayanos this morning. So awesome!!!

17 August – 10 km

Total: 118.2 km / 73.4 miles
    Goal: 161 km / 100 miles

My goal is looking reachable!