August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @MandaNar sometimes we need to rest.
    othertimes, i find the run gets me to clear up.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp thanks for the advice. I watched my HR yesterday and kept it at around 150 avg and ended up with just under a 9 minute pace, I will see how my other runs do with watching my HR and look for a good pace from that.

@MandaNar I just take off with some tissue and go, starting sucks but your body will clear things out. Just be ready for lots and lots of snot.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm worried about stress fracture or at least stress reaction. It's only the one side and doesn't feel like burning shin pain I had during early attempts at running. I don't know. Maybe another week off will give me a better idea.

I'm expecting a trash cart hauling PR from you next week ;)
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @MandaNar sometimes we need to rest.
    othertimes, i find the run gets me to clear up.

I agree. I've run with a stuffy nose. I've carried little packs of tissues. I've run with a cough (and felt better after!). But sometimes I've felt like skipping the run and resting. Have to go with your gut.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1
    8/4- 7.82
    8/50- 4

total/monthly goal: 29/125

Today's notes: Today was supposed to be a nice easy recovery run between yesterday's Steady State and tomorrow's Long run. Ended up averaging 9:43 because Little Man got cranky and I had to speed up to get him home more quickly.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Running when sick. The traditional rule of thumb is, if the sickness is from the shoulders up, you can run through this but you may have to take it easy. I find that sweating helps with the process of attacking the cold. But because the body is using lots of resources to fight the cold, there is less energy left to actually run. So you will have to slow down.

If the sickness is in the chest, the traditional rule of thumb is to just rest.

EDIT: If you're sick, you probably have a fever, which means an elevated core temperature. If you experienced running this summer when it is hot out, you will understand first hand what running with an elevated core temperature is like. If you do run, make sure you hydrate very well, eat good, and plenty of sleep.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm worried about stress fracture or at least stress reaction. It's only the one side and doesn't feel like burning shin pain I had during early attempts at running. I don't know. Maybe another week off will give me a better idea.

I'm expecting a trash cart hauling PR from you next week ;)

Whoo! A reason to put the Garmin on!

I totally swore I had a stress fracture. I had an MRI and absolutely nothing showed up. I had point tenderness and a knot. Nothing.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    08/01 - 4 miles
    08/03 - 4 miles
    08/04 - 2 miles

Updating here and then will catch up on all the posts when I have a bit more time. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement surrounding my injured knees! Much appreciated.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    08/13: Magnuson Park 10k
    08/20: Reykjavik 10k (what better way to explore a new city than by running it?)
    09/10: Lake Chelan HM
    09/17: Destination Woodinville HM
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So...I just checked the weather for my 10K tomorrow. We're looking at temps in the mid-to-upper 70s, and starting off with 95% humidity going down to about 90% by the time I would finish. Thunderstorms are supposed to start an hour or two later, at which time I will hopefully be hanging out at Troegs have food and drinking beer. It looks like it should be a pretty run, some rolling hills, but no significant elevation, but the humidity may kill me. Nothing beats running through soup! Ugh.

08/02 7.00 mi
    08/04 3.00 mi
    TOTAL 10.00 mi
    GOAL: 70.00 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian haha! No way you're really voted off! If anyone is posting here, they belong here! But I'm not even running so...... :grey_question:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian I can't claim any credit for the saying...it's from classic science fiction...talking about how inhabitants of the moon feel about earth. From a great novel.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    So...I just checked the weather for my 10K tomorrow. We're looking at temps in the mid-to-upper 70s, and starting off with 95% humidity going down to about 90% by the time I would finish. Thunderstorms are supposed to start an hour or two later, at which time I will hopefully be hanging out at Troegs have food and drinking beer. It looks like it should be a pretty run, some rolling hills, but no significant elevation, but the humidity may kill me. Nothing beats running through soup! Ugh.

Good luck on your 10k tomorrow! I'm kind of jealous of a Chocolate Tour 10k. Even if it's soupy weather. I hope they give you lots of chocolate.

Rest day for me today. I'm currently sitting on my patio watching a nest of baby robins. Their parents are working hard bringing them food pretty constantly. It looks like they are getting big enough to leave the nest pretty soon and I'm just dying to see that. I worry for them taking that first plunge!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree I'm really sorry you are still having problems with your calf
    @mandanar I'm sorry you have a cold, like the others have said I usually just run through it. I will probably need to slow down but I still run
    @stoshew71 I loved that article on Birmingham too, especially the part about the people who brought the house and keep putting out the water
    @5512bf nice new profile pix
    @mbaker566 LOL I stalk the postal service when I'm waiting for something
    @kristinegift I heard it was in the 50s by you this morning
    @Instantmartian good luck tomorrow

I'm half working today and half watching a live stream of the Junior Olympics T&F from Houston. Four of Skip's friends are running. I'm waiting now for the girls 4x100 relay where 3 of them are team mates. I just loved watching the U8 girls run the relay, beyond cute!!

Best story about a runner and a dog!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/stray-dog-gobi-desert-china-joins-runner-dion-leonard-155-mile-race_us_57a3623ae4b0104052a18a86?section
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    This was a bit hot for me for a speed training run, but I did it anyway. Especially since we found out we can leave work at 3:30 today, and I am totally taking advantage by going home and completely vegging out, lol, so wanted to get this run out of the way. Running in the heat just means I'll be faster in the fall. That's what I keep telling myself whenever I feel like stopping!

.5mi warmup/2mi fartleks/.5mi cooldown

9mi/75 for the month. Coming up: Zumba + lifting tomorrow, long run on Sunday.

ihf7dlyk4ekc.jpg
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @5512bf

Agreed. I haven't had much luck finding the right shoes. I have always had issues with finding sneakers that fit my heels without causing injuries.
    @shaunamaki1979 it might be you do have the right shoes you are just not lacing correctly. I would make sure you are not wearing cotton socks, get fitted at a running store (not a shoe store) and check this lacing site out http://zbody.com/blog/are-you-lacing-your-shoes-correctly/

I didn't get through all the posts yet to see if anyone else posted this.

@skippygirlsmom I like the multiple lacing options for improving the fit of the shoe.
    @shaunamaki1979 When I go to buy shoes - whether replacing with the same model or looking for something new one of the tests I do is a loosely tied ( Standard Out of Box Lacing ) Walk Test paying attention for excessive Heel Lift, Heel Rotation, Toe - Forefoot movement in the Toe Box. If I notice one of these occur with the shoe it gets set aside in the 3rd choice maybe pile if more than one issue they get discarded and move on. I have had 2 shoes - same model & size that felt different when doing the walk test, so don't be afraid to ask to try another pair of the same style/size if they feel close to being The Shoe. The first time I got fitted for shoes I spent more than an Hour in the store ( as a man we are famous for 5 minute shopping door entry to exit ).

Once I had a few shoes in my A Pile I then did the 5 minute treadmill run over different speeds with them on looking for the same potential issues. I was quick to discard any shoe that did not feel right.
    I left with 1 pair and had a 2nd pair on my future list which I did but later - ironically as my running technique and distance has improved the 2nd pair are now my Go To Shoes for Events - especially for anything over 5 km. I no longer give a woot about the color - fit and function over rides fashion.
    Maybe my foot structure is similar to the models used by manufactures in there Molds as I have never required any of the special lacing techniques to get the solid fit.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @5512bf

Agreed. I haven't had much luck finding the right shoes. I have always had issues with finding sneakers that fit my heels without causing injuries.

@shaunamaki1979 it might be you do have the right shoes you are just not lacing correctly. I would make sure you are not wearing cotton socks, get fitted at a running store (not a shoe store) and check this lacing site out http://zbody.com/blog/are-you-lacing-your-shoes-correctly/

I didn't get through all the posts yet to see if anyone else posted this.

Definitely check out lacing options. I cured myself of foot numbness while running mostly by adopting an alternative lacing method.

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I no longer give a woot about the color - fit and function over rides fashion.
    @juliet3455
    Absolutely. I wish my wife would have the same attitude. She likes to buy a running shoe based on how it looks and matches her yoga pants. She hasn't run a lick in the 17 years we've been married and I'm always surprised when she picks out a highly structured shoe because it's pretty. I'm like, you weigh 90 LBS soaking wet, you don't need a $160 pair of supportive shoes. Fortunately she only buys a pair every other year or so I can't complain too much, since I'm on pair #4 this year.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well, sometimes we have bad runs. Today was one of those times for me.

I just couldn't get in a groove. I kept having to stop and catch my breath or scratch my damn itchy legs (I swear, my legs get so itchy every time I run). I did manage three miles, but they were the slowest three miles I've run in a long time. I also walked one more mile. It also didn't help that my mood was very grouchy and I kept getting down on myself for not being able to do three lousy miles like I always do.

Moral of the story: I don't think I'm ready to run 5 consecutive days. I need my rest days. At least I have two this weekend. I'll be in glorious Champaign, Illinois, visiting my old alma mater and getting emotional and stuff.

exercise.png