Best weight training split?

Options
2»

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Try stronglifts 5x5. It will give you the 3 days per week lifting you are looking for, so you can do cardio the other 3 days, while also using compound lifts. Even if you do not add weight every week, it will benefit you to do the lifts. If you want to switch it up or add in extra workouts targeting specific muscle groups afterwards, you can.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Typo
    [

quote="cgvet37;37320572"]
    I'm trying this next week :smile:

Mondays: Chest, Triceps, Abs

Flat bench dumbbell press
    Incline dumbbell press
    Machine Flies

Rope push-down
    Lying bench tricep extension
    Lat pull-down

Crunch machine

Wednesday: Back and Biceps

Low machine row
    Back extension
    Lat Pulldown

EZ Bar curl
    Cable Curl
    Reverse cable curl

Friday: shoulders, legs, abs

Shoulder shrug
    Seated dumbell press
    Reverse machine flies

Bosu Ball Squats
    Leg curl machine

Planks

10 warm-up
    12 reps light
    10 reps moderate
    8 reps heavy

Why do lat pulldowns for triceps? [/quote]

• RosslandMTBr
    RosslandMTBr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. Currently I do a push/pull/legs routine and that is because I go on long, intense mountain bike rides 2-3 times a week (2 hours+). The reason I do this is that I find it very difficult to push myself on my bike if I am training my legs too often. With this routine, I can time my legs day so that It doesnt effect my biking days. That said, I might switch to a full body program in the winter break when I am not biking so much.
  • wi_maint_man
    wi_maint_man Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd try a 3 day split as posted above, on second thought I'm just gonna do a full body work out 3 days a week. I'm almost 49 years old and just trying to realize some health benefits and build strength and endurance.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm doing a 3 day split so that I can also add 3 cArdio days and a rest day . Goal is to lose fat. I have built some muscle ovr last couple of years but its under too much fat. Only place can see any definition bus upper back and traps.

3 days full body would be far more effective for strength and size rather than just hitting each muscle group only once a week.

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit not from picking different split routines.

That's why I'm alternating weights with cardio, and being careful with nutrition. How could I work a full body and still be able to do the cardio without them interfering with each other too much?

It's not that difficult. If you are following a good program that hits everything with as few compound movements as required, you'll be fine. Cardio doesn't much matter if you are a little tired while doing it, your body will adapt.

I've been doing 3 cardio days with a push/pull/legs 3 day split. Plus a body pump class. So each muscle group is hit from all angles once a week heavy (for me anyway) low rep, plus once a week light weight high rep. Been doing pump classes for couple years and have small muscle, but under fat. Only definition is in my upper back and traps and slightly in biceps when flex. Trying to cultivate a routine I can stick to that will work but not kill me lol

Hitting your muscle groups more than 1x week will be better for you.

So, do you think my current routine will be effective?

Not as effective as a full body program focusing on compound movements.
    If I had everything to do over in my lifting "career" I would have not followed a program that only hit each muscle group 1x per week. Did I get strong and build muscle, yes. Would I have gotten stronger and more balanced with a full body routine, most likely.

Hmm. Interesting. At the moment I'm working each muscle group twice a week, with a 3 day split plus one full body a week with lighter weights. I'm worried that trying to do a full body workout every time would make me too sore and be very time consuming. Wouldn't even really know where to start.

Calorie deficit for fat loss.

M/W/F: Strength training (SL5x5 is a good foundation that can help build your strength base fast. And there is a free app for that.)
    T/Th/S: Cardio (run, cycle, circuits... --slow or moderate steady state cardio may be better for fat loss)

Try some dynamic stretching and foam rolling before your lifting session. "DeFranco's Limber 11" is simple and thorough. This may help with soreness.

Your muscles can get used to the progression with minimal soreness.
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm doing a 3 day split so that I can also add 3 cArdio days and a rest day . Goal is to lose fat. I have built some muscle ovr last couple of years but its under too much fat. Only place can see any definition bus upper back and traps.

3 days full body would be far more effective for strength and size rather than just hitting each muscle group only once a week.

Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit not from picking different split routines.

That's why I'm alternating weights with cardio, and being careful with nutrition. How could I work a full body and still be able to do the cardio without them interfering with each other too much?

It's not that difficult. If you are following a good program that hits everything with as few compound movements as required, you'll be fine. Cardio doesn't much matter if you are a little tired while doing it, your body will adapt.

I've been doing 3 cardio days with a push/pull/legs 3 day split. Plus a body pump class. So each muscle group is hit from all angles once a week heavy (for me anyway) low rep, plus once a week light weight high rep. Been doing pump classes for couple years and have small muscle, but under fat. Only definition is in my upper back and traps and slightly in biceps when flex. Trying to cultivate a routine I can stick to that will work but not kill me lol

If I had everything to do over in my lifting "career" I would have not followed a program that only hit each muscle group 1x per week. Did I get strong and build muscle, yes. Would I have gotten stronger and more balanced with a full body routine, most likely.

Hmm. Interesting. At the moment I'm working each muscle group twice a week, with a 3 day split plus one full body a week with lighter weights. I'm worried that trying to do a full body workout every time would make me too sore and be very time consuming. Wouldn't even really know where to start.

You seem resistant to even trying, which makes me wonder why you even asked the question. Tons of people work full body and balance it with cardio just fine. Try it and see how it goes. There's nothing to lose by trying it.

I've just been really sore this week. I'm open to giving anything a go really. Just need to find a programme to follow that I can stick to
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You seem resistant to even trying, which makes me wonder why you even asked the question. Tons of people work full body and balance it with cardio just fine. Try it and see how it goes. There's nothing to lose by trying it.

I've just been really sore this week. I'm open to giving anything a go really. Just need to find a programme to follow that I can stick to

Anytime you start a program that has you working different muscles or at an increased intensity there is going to be soreness. You actually prevent (or reduce) the soreness by continuing to stay on schedule and do the exercise. Legs are a really good example of this. Doing "leg day" once a week gives a lot of people serious DOMS. Increasing to 2, 3, even 4 times a week reduces its intensity and sometimes prevents it entirely.
  • clafairy1984
    Options

Anytime you start a program that has you working different muscles or at an increased intensity there is going to be soreness. You actually prevent (or reduce) the soreness by continuing to stay on schedule and do the exercise. Legs are a really good example of this. Doing "leg day" once a week gives a lot of people serious DOMS. Increasing to 2, 3, even 4 times a week reduces its intensity and sometimes prevents it entirely.

Hmm didn't think of that. I assumed I shouldn't train a part until not sore. I just looked up some full body workouts. I completely misunderstood what they were. I assumed meant spending hours training every muscle each time, but am I correct in thinking it just means doing one exercise per muscle group each day ? That sounds much less daunting
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    5 basic compound (full body) lifts:
    1. Squat
    2. Bench
    3. Overhead press
    4. Row
    5. Deadlift

Each exercise trains multiple muscles.
  • musclepig69
    musclepig69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like 5 days with 2 rest days.
    I do weight training after work which is a lot of compound lifts (45-60 min), then before work I do 20 min HIIT.
    I do 3 sets of 8-10 and when I can do more than 10, I increase the weight. I've only been doing it for about 3 weeks, and I can already see that I've lost body fat, and I've increased strength by about 20lbs on almost everything.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Hmm didn't think of that. I assumed I shouldn't train a part until not sore. I just looked up some full body workouts. I completely misunderstood what they were. I assumed meant spending hours training every muscle each time, but am I correct in thinking it just means doing one exercise per muscle group each day ? That sounds much less daunting

Yes. Here are three sample programs:

* A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971
  • clafairy1984
    Options

Yes. Here are three sample programs:

* A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162916931&p=1266578971&viewfull=1#post1266578971

Gave it a go this morning. Managed much better than I expected to. Think to start with I might try 2 heavy full body and 1 lighter such as a body pump class . Thanks for the advice