Macros

Can someone enlighten me as to what macros are, why they are important, and how to figure them?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Macros is short for macronutrients, nutrients that provide energy, aka calories - protein, fat, carbs. They are important because they provide energy. Getting the right split can help with adherence to diet, which is crucial when trying to lose weight, because you have to eat less. You can use MFP's default if you don't have a specific reason to change it.
  • seussbaby
    seussbaby Posts: 31 Member
    Macros is short for macronutrients, nutrients that provide energy, aka calories - protein, fat, carbs. They are important because they provide energy. Getting the right split can help with adherence to diet, which is crucial when trying to lose weight, because you have to eat less. You can use MFP's default if you don't have a specific reason to change it.

hi.. thanks for this explanation. i would like to change MFP default to reflect good macros to help me follow a ketogenic plan but im confused as how to find the correct numbers. are you able to help me?
  • kommodevaran
    seussbaby wrote: »

hi.. thanks for this explanation. i would like to change MFP default to reflect good macros to help me follow a ketogenic plan but im confused as how to find the correct numbers. are you able to help me?

First I'd need to know why you want a ketogenic diet?
  • seussbaby

thanks for your reply! im hypothyroid w hashimotos (on dessicated replacement) appx 65lbs overweight. borderline high bp (no meds for it) and doc just found high glucose levels and said its prediabetes. told me to look into ketogenic plans and cut out carbs- wants to check levels in 3 mos to see if i need meds. want to avoid that w proper changes in diet and weight loss.
    need help.. the ton of info is confusing me
  • kommodevaran

thanks for your reply! im hypothyroid w hashimotos (on dessicated replacement) appx 65lbs overweight. borderline high bp (no meds for it) and doc just found high glucose levels and said its prediabetes. told me to look into ketogenic plans and cut out carbs- wants to check levels in 3 mos to see if i need meds. want to avoid that w proper changes in diet and weight loss.
    need help.. the ton of info is confusing me

Yes, it can be confusing. I think low carb can be good for you. You are not supposed to cut out carbs, though, but cut way down, and increase fat. I'm not a low carber myself, so I can't give more advice. Go to http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group - I'm sure they can help you get started.
  • LauraPettengill
    LauraPettengill Posts: 1 Member
    Depending on which Keto plan you follow the split is different. Dr. Oz has a Keto plan which is 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. Following this will keep you in ketosis and is easier that deciphering some of the other plans.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

@seussbaby a lot of low carbers use this calculator

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member

@seussbaby a lot of low carbers use this calculator

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Yep. That's a good one.

Most ketofiles go with 5-10% carbs (between almost 0 and 50g) with 20g being quite common. Proteins are usually moderate with 20-25% being quite common but more active people will go higher (30% or more). Fat fills in the rest. Do what works best for you.
  • seussbaby
    thanks everyone! its late right now but i'll dig into this in the am!