Hungry at maintenance!

Options
Hello to all

I have finally pretty much reached my desired goals. I weigh now 178lbs with about 8% bf (or close), at 5'9" am happy with the way I look for a 50 year old. Yes I am not a 200 pounder but more lean mass for my height would make me look too stocky, so I would like to maintain my leanness and overall weight.

I am eating at just about maintenance, between 2,400 and 2,600 calories.

While I used to have a 6 day split, I decided to reduce to 3 days of intense full body and 2 days of HIIT and low intensity cardio, mainly to keep in shape for upcoming Spartan races.

My nutrition is broken into 3 meals. Breakfast about 730 calories, lunch 780, dinner 1,100 all around 40%P/20%F/40%C

So here comes the question: I am STARVING all the time! I wake up at night with hunger cramps. Can't wait for morning to get up and have my breakfast.

My weight is stable, fluctuating minimally, so calories should be correct. I am addicted to caffeine and probably drink way too many coffees, 12-14 cups a day... [​IMG]

I also drink between 1-1/2 and 2 gallons of water a day, of which almost 3/4 of a gallon around dinner time to fill me up or else I would just keep on eating!

What is going on? Could it be the caffeine?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Try adding a bit more fat?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing. Maybe look at your macros and increase your proteins and fats. Try adding some type of snacks in between your three meals. Congrats on reaching your goals.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I concur with the others about fats/protein. I might also try spreading the food around throughout the day. Maybe try 5 or 6 meals. I'm the same height as you, 170lbs and I don't have near the lean muscle mass you do, and even at just lightly active I get 2350 calories a day. On cardio days I get another 600 and weight lifting days I eat another couple hundred.

How is your weight training going, are you making steady progress, did you hit a plateau? With your stats the body isn't going to give up more fat stores easily, so it is possible you could eat more and not gain weight....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    More fat, more fiber.

I have to restrict more now at maintenance than when I was losing. It sucks!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hello to all

I have finally pretty much reached my desired goals. I weigh now 178lbs with about 8% bf (or close), at 5'9" am happy with the way I look for a 50 year old. Yes I am not a 200 pounder but more lean mass for my height would make me look too stocky, so I would like to maintain my leanness and overall weight.

I am eating at just about maintenance, between 2,400 and 2,600 calories.

While I used to have a 6 day split, I decided to reduce to 3 days of intense full body and 2 days of HIIT and low intensity cardio, mainly to keep in shape for upcoming Spartan races.

My nutrition is broken into 3 meals. Breakfast about 730 calories, lunch 780, dinner 1,100 all around 40%P/20%F/40%C

So here comes the question: I am STARVING all the time! I wake up at night with hunger cramps. Can't wait for morning to get up and have my breakfast.

My weight is stable, fluctuating minimally, so calories should be correct. I am addicted to caffeine and probably drink way too many coffees, 12-14 cups a day... [​IMG]

I also drink between 1-1/2 and 2 gallons of water a day, of which almost 3/4 of a gallon around dinner time to fill me up or else I would just keep on eating!

What is going on? Could it be the caffeine?

I had that same issue too? I believe that your brain sends hunger signals as you reintroduce more calories. What was your calorie intake before?
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lol I just got into the macro balancing. I'm getting close to 2700 cals a day and I am always hungry an hour after I eat something. I feel like I'm eating more than ever but I am intentionally eating "cleaner" foods, but I am hungry yet full...its weird.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was thinking more about this during my afternoon run. lol. Do you weigh your food? Maybe your under-estimating your calorie intake? It surprises me how much I can eat and still maintain. But, I am always busy. Either exercising, playing with the kids, cooking, cleaning, yard work, etc. I don't really sit down much other than in the evenings when we are watching TV together as a family. My activity level (even without exercise) is high, so I can eat more. Maybe you are under-estimating your calorie intake and under-estimating your calorie burn or activity level? Maybe try to up your calories and see how it goes. Hunger is not a bad thing, but nobody wants to be hungry all the time. I wake up too with my stomach growling, ready to eat again. I <3 food! :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Try reverse dieting- slowly start adding calories. Add 100-200 a day for a week. If the scale stays relatively stable (you will have a slight rise due to both water weight and food being digested), add 100-200 the next week.

A small pre bed snack high in fat and protien may help you through the night.

Cheers, h.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Try reverse dieting- slowly start adding calories. Add 100-200 a day for a week. If the scale stays relatively stable (you will have a slight rise due to both water weight and food being digested), add 100-200 the next week.

Cheers, h.

This.

Try adding more calories. I can maintain at 2350 when matching your activity level. I feel like you should be able to eat more.

ETA: If you are truly 8%, constant hunger may come with the territory, based on my reading.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Add more fat and protein and work on upping your calories a little more as you probably can eat more and still maintain. Our bodies are generally good at letting us know when we need to fuel them more.

Maybe you are drinking too much water/coffee and its just making you feel hungrier with all its swishing around in yer belly :smiley:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    try @middlehaitch's suggestion. You can probably go up in calories 100 at a time and still more or less maintain without serious gains.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Geeze, 12-14 coffees way too much maybe you need a little more sugar instead of the coffee. By the looks of your pic you look great and maybe your water consumption is causing the night time cramps....just thought.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calories are too high
    At sedentary you should be at 2000 calories
    Then figure out your exercise calories and eat them back
    Eating 2400-2600 a day is probably not enough
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Cheers, h.

This.

Try adding more calories. I can maintain at 2350 when matching your activity level. I feel like you should be able to eat more.

ETA: If you are truly 8%, constant hunger may come with the territory, based on my reading.

That would have been my guess too. That is one of the reasons it is hard to maintain a low body fat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    wow!! what a bod! :smile: congrats on a job well done!
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    8% is low man id be starving all day just to fuel up. I was as low as 8% at 182 lbs and I ate ALLLLL day and didnt track anything. I was also laid off at the time so all I had was the beach and the gym, but I was eating all nutrient rich foods also . Alas that was 10 years ago and times they have a changed
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Could you have slightly less cals in your three meals and have three snacks during day instead? I have to snack I can't go hours and hours without eating I'd be starving too! Amazing bod by the way!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add but to say wow! You look great.. fantastic job