Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm doing re-comp (had to start over due to an injury) and 40 is ancient history. B)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I've waited all week to post this.....
    63 today.

You 40 year olds are just babies. :)

I am in much better shape now than I was in my 40's.
    I do wish I had discovered then that exercise was tolerable.

Cheers, h.

xx07cnka4ee5.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    63 today.

Cheers, h.

Happy birthday! May it be your best year yet.

And when 64 swings around I look forward to seeing you write "I'm in better shape than I was at 63!"
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    63 today.

Cheers, h.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Hey, you guys are just great.

I am sat here after a magnificent boozy lunch (put off lifting 'til tomorrow) thinking this is the really add muscle year. (Managed the retaining pretty well)

Hard at my age but doable.

I took loads of undie pics getting ready to go out, so I have a comparison, and am really hoping for small gains.

Sat singing 'when I'm 64' hahahaha.

Cheers, h.

I guess I should take undies pics for my future re comp? WTG! Great job
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Seriously inspiring!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    middlehaitch, #1: Happy Birthday!! You're right, we can build the muscle; just takes longer. Also, did you know that Paul wrote that when he was 18 for his father?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hee hee @DebSozo, thank you.

You may think different when you see the 'official' (non nude or undies) pic. Good base to work from though.

Got to say, being so small, I find recomp draining. I am thinking of defecting to a bulk. Light enough, and been doing resistance work long enough, that I think I may get better results. Adding 10lbs would be hard but probably good for me.

@griffinca2, I didn't know that. When I got in the car 'I am the walrus' was playing, hence the thought transition.

The start for improvements......

me89ov3qgb22.jpeg

Cheers, h.

Hope I look that good in my 60's! Happy Birthday!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch, your "before" self looks strong & fabulous - can't wait to see the "after" . . . but as it is a bit slow at our - or any - age, I guess I'll have to. ;)

Happy birthday!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ooh @AnnPT77 it is going to be a long wait. This time next year I will have to pull up these pics and do a comparison.
    I just hope there will be a little visible positive change.

Cheers, h.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use every other day refeeds to re-comp?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Does anyone use every other day refeeds to re-comp?

I tend to keep my calories level over the week.
    I find having it even my recovery days are better. This could be because I am older and recover slower.
    I also find, as I lift later in the day, I need a couple of hours between eating then lifting, or I feel sickish, and I don't feel like eating as quite much for dinner.

If you think it may benefit you, give it a go. You can always readjust if you don't like it.

Cheers, h.

@KetoneKaren love the balloons.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Need some advice on re-comp. Having trouble figuring out how many cals (pro/carbs/fat) I should be eating to increase muscle and reduce fat; info for re-comp on MFP says one thing and then another when you plug the info into MFP. I'm older (middle; I'm a little older than you), so I know more protein is a must (but how much?). MFP has me at 1460 cals, 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. I figure, that because of my age 20% (73 g) protein would make it next to impossible to increase muscle (that’s not even the min of .8 g per lb of body weight). I’m basically happy w/my weight (adding a lb or two wouldn’t hurt); just trying to gain muscle and reduce body fat some. Many thanks for your help. B)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Need some advice on re-comp. Having trouble figuring out how many cals (pro/carbs/fat) I should be eating to increase muscle and reduce fat; info for re-comp on MFP says one thing and then another when you plug the info into MFP. I'm older (middle; I'm a little older than you), so I know more protein is a must (but how much?). MFP has me at 1460 cals, 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. I figure, that because of my age 20% (73 g) protein would make it next to impossible to increase muscle (that’s not even the min of .8 g per lb of body weight). I’m basically happy w/my weight (adding a lb or two wouldn’t hurt); just trying to gain muscle and reduce body fat some. Many thanks for your help. B)

How much do you weigh? Do you know body fat? Have you tracked calories in the past or just started. Either way you will probably have to adjust calories based on actual results.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Hi @griffinca2 here is what I work from-

Research is showing a minimum of 1-1.2g/kg body weight for older people.
    There is also research indicating that we do better when eating 20-30g at a time, rather than 10-15g.
    Also we may benefit from eating protein separate form carbs.

There are numerous differing thoughts.

I am not a big day time eater so have a protein bar for breakfast, yogurt or cottage cheese for lunch, meat or fish at dinner.
    I aim for 100g a day, which is probably a bit high as I weigh 100lbs -I don't like hitting under 80g. If I am short for the day I mix a 20-35g protien drink before bed.

I am not am incredibly scientific person, but what I am doing is working for me.

I have my macro setting at 40carb, 30protein, 30fat on MFP, but I haven't logged for a long time.
    I know my daytime eating gives me a min of 50, my dinner is 30-40 and I just top up with the protein drink.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, h.
    One of many articles on sarcopinia....
    https://www.iofbonehealth.org/preventing-sarcopenia
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

Also remember that the MFP 1460 is on days you do no exercise and match the activity level you selected.
    On days you do more - you eat more.

And if not accurate on the activity level - probably should be eating more anyway.