Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
If you burn e.g. 400 calories in a spon class, do you guys eat those the same day? Is that the healthier thing to do? Other plans like weight watchers encourage you not to, but I guess it can encourage you to exercise more?

Replies

• kikyoo
    kikyoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No don't eat them back!
  • kikyoo
    kikyoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    U burn them off , so it stays off lol
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you calculate your calorie goal. Did you factor in your activity level when you set yourself up or did you choose the sedentary option? Did you calculate your TDEE and factor in regular activity?

If you do choose to eat them back, bear in mind that MFP gives very generous calorie burns so most people recommend eating back only 50-75%.
  • pauline_zhao
    pauline_zhao Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    some days i eat them some days i stay under my caloric allowance (1200). i still lose weight. it really depends on what u eat and what time u eat, IMO.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Eat them! at least 50-75% of them.... fuel your body yet lose weight, win win :smile:
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat them back. Your deficit is already built into your calorie goal when you use MFP. You need the extra food as fuel for your workouts, especially if they're hard 400-calorie workouts.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back, sometimes most, sometimes all...depends on how hungry I feel that day
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I ate about 50% back early and then at least 75% as my conditioning and activity level went up.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is a slightly complicated question as you may have picked up from the variety of answers, and my advice to you specifically would depend on you built in deficit and how often you exercise and you average burns, and how you are measuring that, which I don't currently know.

In general, if you want to lose faster then don't eat them back. With that, I caution you to listen to your body, if you are feeling tired and run down consistently then that is probably a sign you are not eating enough and your body needs more fuel.

If you prefer to eat them back then err on the side of under estimating as over estimating exercise calories is one of the things that commonly trips people up.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    If I just exercise a little bit (say 300 calories worth), I'll eat about 50% of my calories back.

If I exercise a bit more (say up to about 800 calories), I'll eat about 75% of my calories back.

If I exercise a lot, I'll eat about 90% of my calories back.

Approximately.
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Nope. I'd never lose weight if I ate them back.

I use my exercise calories as a buffer in case I log anything wrong or the packages are off.

For example, I eat a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich every morning. It says 300 calories. It might actually be 350 or 400. I don't weigh it, I just trust the number on the package. By not counting my exercise calories, I take in the extra calories into account.

Same with my lunch of a 6-inch subway sub. It says 450 calories (accounting for all my veggies and condiments). It might be more, probably is, so not eating back exercising helps.... because I probably am, I just don't know it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The MFP system already gives you a deficit without exercise. By NOT eating back your exercise calories, you are creating an even bigger deficit. Some people like having a bigger deficit, but I'm not one of them. It's not a race for me. I intend to keep doing this forever, and I want to enjoy my life while I'm doing it.

I eat the extra calories that I burn because I use them to fuel my workouts and to help my body repair. It's also motivation for me to exercise when I know I'm earning extra calories for treats. The MFP system, as it was designed, has worked brilliantly for me, so I'm not messing with it.

I'm here for long-term success, not quick, temporary weight loss. I need this lifestyle to be sustainable. If I starve myself I'm going to lose more lean muscle mass and end up burning out. I've been maintaining at goal here for 5 years and I always eat most of my exercise calories back, unless I'm just not hungry (hardly ever happens.)

Sometimes exercise calories can be overestimated, so I know that sometimes people like to eat back less to make sure they don't overeat (A lot of people say 50-75% works for them). I haven't had that problem myself. My estimates have been fairly accurate over time. I've probably eaten at least 90% of mine back over the years.

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat if I'm hungry.
    Usually about 50%, with my day preplanned at or below goal, if I'm still hungry I know how much wiggle room I have left.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    If you used mfp to get your calorie goal then you are supposed to eat them back. If you used a TDEE calculator then don't eat them back. Since exercise calories can be overestimated a good rule of thumb is to start by eating back about 50% and after about 4 weeks reevaluate. If you are losing faster than expected you can eat back more and if you aren't losing as fast as expected eat back less. I lost my weight eating back about 75-80% of my exercise calories.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    kikyoo wrote: »
    No don't eat them back!

IF you used mfp to get your goal then you are supposed to eat them back.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    i ate half of mine back as I was losing and now that I'm maintaining I eat 75% of them back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    +1 to the people saying that MFP is designed so that you're intended to eat back the exercise calories. If you have several hundred calories of exercise, and a steep calorie deficit (lose 2 pounds per week) in your MFP profile, you can be seriously, dangerously under-fueling yourself if you don't eat them back.

Yes, it can mean faster loss . . . but you're potentially losing more muscle than necessary, in addition to losing fat. Not Good.

Some people worry that MFP over-estimates exercise calories, and so eat back only a percentage. If you're worried, you can start that way, then adjust once you see whether your actual weight loss rate matches your goal.

Personally, I estimated my exercise carefully, then ate all the exercise calories back, while losing 60+ pounds in less than a year. It's not essential to eat them all back the same day, if you prefer. You can see whether you're more hungry that same day, or the next day (which happens for some folks) and adjust accordingly.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I use my exercise calories as a buffer in case I log anything wrong or the packages are off.

For example, I eat a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich every morning. It says 300 calories. It might actually be 350 or 400. I don't weigh it, I just trust the number on the package.

Or, it could be 275 calories.

Weighting it would make more sense than ignoring a completely unrelated type of calorie. ;)