Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• eypat2016
    eypat2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This diet is not healthy! Not want you want to hear I know.
    Cycle your carbs, it works. And you don't go hungry.
    Keep your calories the same each day, the amount will depend whether or not you wish to gain, lose or maintain.
    Then just alter the macronutrients each day but keep calories the same.
    On low carb days up fat and protein on medium and the high carb day simply lower protein and fat. It's simple and 100% works for anyone and is healthy.
    Work your calorie requirements out with an online calculator. Once you have that, the rest is easy and my fitness pal makes it even easier by allowing you to put each days macronutrients in seperately.
    It's so easy. Their really is no need for starving yourself, which will just lower your metabolism and make it easier for you to gain weight when you eat normally again.
    If you need anymore info please get in touch.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have you read the research by Dr Krista Varady?
    She seems to have done the best scientific research and trials on alternate day fasting.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with 4:3, BUT eat your 500 cals on the fast days.

I just do 16:8 for calorie control.

So you're actually supposed to eat the 500 calories on fast days? I had heard that you can start that way but are supposed to move off of it when you can. I just get such mixed reviews on IF altogether, it's hard to stay motivated.

I have done every other day fasting and I keep coming back to it whenever I'm less active/more hungry. Yes you are supposed to eat your 500. Going 0 calories is not the goal, the goal is to regulate your calories to where you only feel like you are dieting a few days a week then eat comfortably on the rest. Whenever I'm having a surge of appetite or forced to be less active, alternate day fasting helps me keep up the deficit without feeling like I'm eating too little. It's a bit harder to keep up if my appetite isn't all there or if I'm extra active because I find myself averaging a number of calories too low for my liking so I switch back to normal every day diet.

You eat 500/600 calories on fast days (I actually do 800) and then eat whatever you want within reason to satisfaction on normal days without purposely stuffing yourself, preferably around your maintenance calories (mine is 2200 calories and I eat anywhere from 1800 to 2500). What you don't do, as many people who are new to IF tend to do, is eat 500 on fast days then eat some low number of calories on normal days like 1200 or something. That's not good. That's undereating and could compromise your health.
  • ciaraos27
    ciaraos27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was advised to do this by a therapist at my hospital clinic as it helps reset insulin level apparently. I'm doing 5:2 and around 800cals on fast days as I work a long day and like my gym time. Just started really so can't see much yet. Not too hard though as I get my teats in within reason on non-fast days.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I fasted two, went very low carb 2 and will go back to fasting. I feel great. I'm going to do this as long as I feel good. Threw some juicing in on food days.
  • fipearson1971
    fipearson1971 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing the 5:2 for a month, you dont starve but I realise how much I eat just for pleasure. The books are encouraging especially as weight loss is an added bonus to the health benefits of the diet.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    eypat2016 wrote: »
    This diet is not healthy! Not want you want to hear I know.
    Cycle your carbs, it works. And you don't go hungry.
    Keep your calories the same each day, the amount will depend whether or not you wish to gain, lose or maintain.
    Then just alter the macronutrients each day but keep calories the same.
    On low carb days up fat and protein on medium and the high carb day simply lower protein and fat. It's simple and 100% works for anyone and is healthy.
    Work your calorie requirements out with an online calculator. Once you have that, the rest is easy and my fitness pal makes it even easier by allowing you to put each days macronutrients in seperately.
    It's so easy. Their really is no need for starving yourself, which will just lower your metabolism and make it easier for you to gain weight when you eat normally again.
    If you need anymore info please get in touch.

This is generally false.
  • eypat2016
    eypat2016 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've seen it work for literally 100s of people of all shapes and sizes.
    It's time proven.
    Alas people fall for all sorts of gimmicky rubbish and waste years trying to get in shape.
    Keep it simple, it works!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just because one diet may work for you, doesn't make all other options wrong and unhealthy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You fast for three days? Like, zero calories for three days? I've done 24 hours or so before but three I'm not sure I could handle. I'd be pretty crabby. What's your experience been like?

No - not zero calories........

5:2 is maintenance for 5 days and 500 calories for 2 days.

4:3 would be similar.....but 3 days of 500 calories. This would be more for people that have lots of weight to lose. Think of 4:3 as trying to lose 2 pounds a week.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • nabila_rahman94
    nabila_rahman94 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for about a week now and I've lost a couple pounds already but it also fluctuates daily...is that normal? Should I not weigh myself everyday? It's a bit discouraging.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing IF but yes your weight will fluctuate daily depending on food in/poo out and water retain age if you ate something salty etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for about a week now and I've lost a couple pounds already but it also fluctuates daily...is that normal? Should I not weigh myself everyday? It's a bit discouraging.

Water weight can fluctuate daily. Sore muscles - water weight. Time of month - water weight. Higher sodium - water weight.

You can weigh daily if the fluctuations don't bother you. Track downward trends. Weight loss won't be linear. 2 pounds a week can be expected (fairly regularly) if you have lots of weight to lose (> 75 pounds). Otherwise expect to lose a bit slower.
  • memickee
    memickee Posts: 250 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do IF too. 5:2 with 18:6 (eating window is from 5-11pm). Love my fast days. 18:6 is not necessary though; I use it as a tool to control calories.
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Have you read the research by Dr Krista Varady?
    She seems to have done the best scientific research and trials on alternate day fasting.

Just ordered the book. Thanks!!
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options
    Also, what do you guys eat on eat days? Some people may say just eat anything you want but that doesn't seem right. What are you guys eating? I'm working out 3/4 of my eat days so I can just eat anything or I feel gross at the gym.
  • JC1459
    JC1459 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a 56 year old post menopausal woman with 75 pounds to lose and I've been doing
    IF for 12 weeks and have lost 38 lbs -
    never felt better - 37 more lbs to go
    2 - 24 hr fasts per week
    I Eat 2 meals per day within 7 hr window - no snacks in between - no processed food at all - low carbs
    I read everything I can get my hands on to better understand the science behind IF and
    why this lifestyle choice is more effective
    and better for me than any other program I have ever done.
    I sleep better - my stomach problems are gone - my mind is sharper - I have more energy -
    no mood swings - diminished hot flashes - and I'm spending less $$ on food.

Works for me !!

• JC1459
    JC1459 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @AmmeLynn the book "The Obesity Code" is what got me started.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Also, what do you guys eat on eat days? Some people may say just eat anything you want but that doesn't seem right. What are you guys eating? I'm working out 3/4 of my eat days so I can just eat anything or I feel gross at the gym.

I do eat anything I want on eat days. My focus on these days is not what I'm eating, or how it relates to my dieting, but I use it more as training wheels for maintenance. How do I imagine myself eating when I'm at goal weight maintaining? Do I see myself giving up all the foods I like or eating it in microscopic portions? The answer is no. Do I see myself gorging until I burst? I don't think I would maintain for long if I do that often. The way I see myself is eating normally, not overeating, but not overly stressing about my intake. I see myself indulging my senses, but not mindlessly eating whatever I see in front of me without thought. On eat days I try to replicate that balanced mix of indulgence and caution.
  • nabila_rahman94
    Options
    JC1459 wrote: »
    I'm a 56 year old post menopausal woman with 75 pounds to lose and I've been doing
    IF for 12 weeks and have lost 38 lbs -
    never felt better - 37 more lbs to go
    2 - 24 hr fasts per week
    I Eat 2 meals per day within 7 hr window - no snacks in between - no processed food at all - low carbs
    I read everything I can get my hands on to better understand the science behind IF and
    why this lifestyle choice is more effective
    and better for me than any other program I have ever done.
    I sleep better - my stomach problems are gone - my mind is sharper - I have more energy -
    no mood swings - diminished hot flashes - and I'm spending less $$ on food.

Works for me !!

That's amazing!! I hope it works out that well for me! So on fast days do you eat the 500 cals as well?

The 2 meals within 7 hrs on eat days sounds great but it's difficult when I'm around family and friends. We tend to go out and I indulge a bit or eat later in the day then when I was hoping.

It's lost about 3-4 in the week that I've been doing it but I think I should just stick to it and see how it goes.