After work blues

Options
I would be skinny if it weren't for the p.m. hours. I eat perfectly all day long, but the time between after work and dinner and after dinner is where I fade off. Anyone else? I don't need help with what to eat and what not to eat. I need a shrink I think! For willpower.

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner pretty much right when I get home. Any reason you are waiting? I am on an earlier work schedule that I was before and now workout after work. That's mostly to avoid the high traffic time of commute, but it does get my home right when I should be making and eating dinner.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    That is one reason I go to the gym after work (and I don't like getting up any earlier than I have to). When I do go home after work, I need to find something to keep me busy besides watching TV.

My problem can be after dinner and before bed. I find that if I keep myself busy with different hobbies, I don't think about food so much. I wish I was better at implementing the strategy since I know it works, unfortunately, the couch is comfy.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch late, and I'm still hungry when I get home. I try to eat around an hour after I get home, and if I have the calories maybe have a snack afterwards. There are times when I have the hungries, but I know it's boredom hunger and try to distract myself with other things (books, games, mfp.. :lol: )
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kimirayray wrote: »
    I would be skinny if it weren't for the p.m. hours. I eat perfectly all day long, but the time between after work and dinner and after dinner is where I fade off. Anyone else? I don't need help with what to eat and what not to eat. I need a shrink I think! For willpower.

This is me.^

I save my snacks for pre-dinner and after dinner.

I will bring a "pre-dinner" snack with me to work, and eat it on the commute home. Too many temptations at home. It's easy for me to "graze" my way through a few hundred calories.

My after dinner snack is typically popcorn (most volume). I will keep a glass of ice water on hand while watching TV and keep myself a little distracted. The distraction can be anything: solitaire, crochet, adult coloring book, whatever. I will put my snack off until 9:00 p.m.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That is my toughest time of the day too. I usually have a very low cal dinner (such as just cooked veggies with a little protein or a big salad) and the rest of the calories I spend on all sorts of snack type things (yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, protein bars, fruit, some candy...) that usually takes care of the urge to eat at night.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I agree with BZAH10, it is probably more habit than anything and while snacking healthy is great it would probably server you better to break the habit. One of the things that I did was to tell myself I could have a snack AFTER doing a small task. It could be anything but you should shot for 15 or so minutes to do it - go through a stack of magazines, clear out or organize a drawer, sweep - just something to keep you busy and more times than not I didn't want it after that. Also try setting an exact time in your mind (no timers), if you are not ready at that time, sorry no snack. You can also make yourself drink __oz of water before giving in. For me these trick taught me that I was not hungry and it was just an habit. You can beat this but it may take a few different things to try and figure out how to trick your mind. Good Luck!
  • StaPositv
    StaPositv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    kimirayray wrote: »

This totally happened to me while working at a job where I was overloaded and working on my master's degree. My eating habits were horrible because I wasn't getting enough sleep added to working on assignments until mid-night to beat the turn-in deadline. It took me a while to 'reprogram' myself. Some things that worked included eating something just as I got home (apple with a TBS of natural peanut butter - made me feel full), having a pre-planned detail of my dinner with fruit as a planned after dinner snack, and posting my goal on a sticky note in the pantry and on the refrigerator door (where ever needed) to remind myself...oh and drink a glass of water. I also planned a workout for the early evening. This combination led to healthy changes and improved my will power. It's finally no longer a problem, but it took about a month of self arguments and following through on my plan before it became my new habit. But, I knew I could do it - obviously I was able to create a bad habit, so I figured creating a good habit was just as feasible if I believed in it.

Keep fighting...you'll get it right! Best wishes to you!
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I really appreciate it. I have lost 9 pounds so far and it's mainly because of not eating after dinner. For me, it's better to just not eat unless I am too hungry. So I occupy my time with other things and look forward to sleep with my glass of water by my side, knowing in the a.m. I can eat again lol - thanks again :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    When I come home from work, I have ...

100 grams of cottage cheese, a bunch of cucumber slices, and a raw carrot (or sometimes radishes or cabbage or cauliflower) + 2 or 3 ryvita crackers with a skiff of margarine.

Then I go workout ...

My husband and I go for a walk to the beach, or ride our bicycles on our trainers, and/or lift weights, or maybe we go to the gym or ride our bicycles outside.

Then we have dinner!

At 9:30 we have a snack ... usually a bowl of yogurt. And I usually have a cup of tea ... lemon-ginger or rooibos-chai. No sugar, no milk.

At about 11:30, I often have another snack ... a piece of toast with nutella and honey or if I'm going a bit lighter, then just a chocolate coated McVities digestive biscuit. Plus another cup of tea ... usually chamomile these days. Again, no sugar, no milk.

I pre-log everything so I know it fits into my day, and the exercise also helps.
  • kimirayray
    Options
    I like pre-logging too - really works :) - thanks!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. Don't eat until the PM so you can eat your daily allowance in fewer hours.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Try intermittent fasting. Don't eat until the PM so you can eat your daily allowance in fewer hours.

I think her update post is to state that she has figured out what works and to let us know that she has overcome her problem. I don't think she's asking for advice now. :)

• SpunkiMama
    SpunkiMama Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have set my alarm clock to wake up at 545am, and work out before work. That SNOOZE Button wins everytime!! Afterwork, I do get in some activity because , it has to be done!! However, its more interrupted because then the natives are up and moving, and MOM MOM MOM MOM MOMMMMMMING me to death!!! ...
    (they are 14 & 16 btw lol)
    So yes, If I could get up at 545, begin working out at 6am... I'd be smooooth sailing!!!! but alas, the lord didn't make me a morning person... maybe I will put my ALARM CLOCK outside on my porch so I have no choice, to keep walking to the garage and pound way on the treadmill...

I will try it tomorrow... my husband my think I've lost my mind... :p
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with this also. There is a challenge on MFP called Say "No" to Late Night Snacking-August 2016 Challenge that has helped me tremendously. I was over 100 days and then went on vacation and lost my streak. I have now gone another 17 days of no LNSnacking. You get to set your own rules for what you consider 'snacking' in the evening. Here it is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10435850/say-no-to-late-night-snacking-august-2016-challenge/p1?new=1
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with overeating later in the day too and have also found that pre-logging helps. I'll also save some room for an extra snack so I don't go over. I usually eat dinner around 7pm and that's about 400-450 calories with lots of protein. Then, around 9pm I'll have two bags of the 100 calorie popcorn with a diet soda and that really fills me up. Then, I'll eat a chocolate mint protein fudgesicle that I make with ff Greek yogurt and cottage cheese and that helps with my sweet cravings and is only 54 calories. That takes my night snack to 254 calories which is pretty satisfying. I try to brush my teeth shortly after to signify that I'm done eating for the day.
  • kimirayray
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

I think her update post is to state that she has figured out what works and to let us know that she has overcome her problem. I don't think she's asking for advice now. :)

• kimirayray
    Options
    i still love reading them! Keeps me motivated - I am down another half pound - I'll take all I can get lol
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    yes, this. For me it was habitual, so I started making lists. What To Do After Work. I'd get home, eat dinner, and do the list. By the time the list was done I wouldn't be in the mood for snacking. It took a while but now I don't have the urge to snack after dinner.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    heck yes this was me too! I found if I kept busy, planned a good filling meal and drink water that helps a lot. It was mind over matter for me and making new lasting habits.