Always seem tired

Options
I have been on a serious track to lose weight. Staying hydrated, watching my calories, taking my supplements as well as extras for energy. I exercise twice a day, mainly Aerobic. But why am I always so tired thru the day? The only health issue I have is Lupus (which I stay on top of) but I've always been a active person. Am I doing too much too fast??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day and do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • Brianneplus3
    Brianneplus3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating a day and do you eat back your exercise calories?
    I'm still leaning how to use my diary. Is there a way you can take a look?
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    *learning*
  • malibu927
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I'm still leaning how to use my diary. Is there a way you can take a look?

You need to go to settings and open your diary up
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    My diary is open.
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    Chunky_pinup Having lupus is such a DRAG but it's also my motivation to keep going and be healthy. I'm fearing my new work out/diet/calorie watch is starting a flare up.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Chunky_pinup Having lupus is such a DRAG but it's also my motivation to keep going and be healthy. I'm fearing my new work out/diet/calorie watch is starting a flare up.

It is...which is why we need to just be careful. I'm not allowed to exercise right now because I'm having a flare up in my foot and need surgery (pre-op today), and this week has felt AWFUL because I've gotten into a really good groove with my strength training and food and it really does make it hard and even depressing when you feel like you're not in control. But if your feeling tired, your body is telling you to slow it down. You need rest. Lupus makes it even harder to recover from things, so we really DO need more rest than other people. If you don't give your body that, it can make things much worse.

You said your Lupus is being controlled...is that with meds? I know a lot of the meds used to treat us also have side effects of extreme fatigue, on top of the fatigue we ALREADY feel from the disease. So that may be playing into it also.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

It is...which is why we need to just be careful. I'm not allowed to exercise right now because I'm having a flare up in my foot and need surgery (pre-op today), and this week has felt AWFUL because I've gotten into a really good groove with my strength training and food and it really does make it hard and even depressing when you feel like you're not in control. But if your feeling tired, your body is telling you to slow it down. You need rest. Lupus makes it even harder to recover from things, so we really DO need more rest than other people. If you don't give your body that, it can make things much worse.

You said your Lupus is being controlled...is that with meds? I know a lot of the meds used to treat us also have side effects of extreme fatigue, on top of the fatigue we ALREADY feel from the disease. So that may be playing into it also.

Do you either of you take steroids? If so, how do they impact your weight?
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    I refuse to take any steroids because of the weight gain I had. I BLEW UP!!! I personally looked swollen, especially in my face. The weight can be controlled by a healthy lifestyle and diet but when I was taking steroids I had too work REALLY hard at. I mean really hard. Everyone is different however.
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    @chunky_pinup I don't take any meds. So far I've been lucky and have not been "required" to take meds. Just a lifestyle change. But you are right on point when you say the feeling of not being in control. Like you, I've found a groove and my body is saying something else. Good luck with your surgery!! :)
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Watch your Gluten products during the day. Wheat was my trigger. I would have a lunch that included something with Wheat, which would send off a rush, then a crash around 3 in the afternoon. I did 2 things, 1. Quit eating Wheat 2. Did a 10 minute walk, or workout video, when I got tired which increased my endorphins and I felt better.

Before I get critics telling me how wrong I am on this post... Wheat was MY trigger, and you can figure out yours by changing a single dietary intake. Wheat or grains, Dairy, sugars and carbs. It could be any or none of these, but this is what has worked for me. I can still eat my grains in the evening, but lunch time gives me a lethargic feeling if I do.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    @leejoyce31 I've been on and off for about a decade now. Prednisone, as @Brianneplus3 mentioned, is awful. It messes with your weight, your body composition, your bone mass and your emotions. When you have to take them long term, as opposed to short stints for like, an infection or something. Even when I wouldn't gain weight, my face would take on the classic "moonface" appearance and it was awful.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    @leejoyce31 I've been on and off for about a decade now. Prednisone, as @Brianneplus3 mentioned, is awful. It messes with your weight, your body composition, your bone mass and your emotions. When you have to take them long term, as opposed to short stints for like, an infection or something. Even when I wouldn't gain weight, my face would take on the classic "moonface" appearance and it was awful.

Yeah, I had to take prednisone for a week and it almost killed me. However, I had a strange reaction to it. It completely took away my appetite. I lost 2 pounds. But the other side effects were horrible. I only slept an hour or two each night. My mood/emotions were off the chart. It's a horrible yet effective drug.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You're targeting 1200-1300 calories of food eaten and earning 400-800 calories from exercise with an mfp target of (don't remember, but it's higher than 1200). I'll go out on a limb and say that the answer is "donuts". You should be willing to eat back half of your exercise calories OR be willing to eat your mfp target calories.
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    You're targeting 1200-1300 calories of food eaten and earning 400-800 calories from exercise with an mfp target of (don't remember, but it's higher than 1200). I'll go out on a limb and say that the answer is "donuts". You should be willing to eat back half of your exercise calories OR be willing to eat your mfp target calories.

What is MFP? I'm really trying to understand this. So are you saying that I'm not eating enough calories?
  • Spoonf
    Spoonf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    the only other suggestion is to make sure you don't have any problems with sleep (such as Apnea). I found that I stopped breathing about 148 times per night. No wonder I was constantly tired. After sleep study, got CPAP and I sleep without getting up during the night. I feel like a different person. That is my experience, and don't know if you might have some similar issue. Thought it might be worth mentioning.
  • malibu927
    Options

What is MFP? I'm really trying to understand this. So are you saying that I'm not eating enough calories?

MFP is My Fitness Pal. It is possible that you aren't fueling your body enough, which would make you tired. What are your stats?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,736 Member
    Options

That would be my first guess, too - under-fueling.

How fast are you losing weight, and how much do you have to lose? The calorie calculators' estimates may not be spot-on for everyone, so you want to judge your deficit from your own weight-loss results (but ignore the first week).

For optimum health - which I'd argue hard for, since you already have a challenging health condition - you should be losing no more than 1% of your body weight per week, and that's when you still have quite a lot to lose. Within 20-25 pounds of goal weight, I'd suggest limiting loss to a pound a week, then going to 0.5 pound/week at 10 or so to go.

Slower is just fine - it's not a sprint. Losing 0.5 pounds/week throughout is perfectly rational, especially with a health condition to deal with. Staying healthy & strong should be priority one, and fatigue is a worrisome sign.

(MFP = My Fitness Pal)
  • Brianneplus3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help!! I put myself on a 1,200 daily count. I'm trying to lose 1.5 week. After I put in my meals, snacks and exercise, I get these "earned" calories. I'll enter a few more healthy snacks and by the end of the dairy day I have "extra" calories that are in the green. I appreciate every one's input. :)