Can you just do weight training and cut out cardio?

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If I were going to bother with cardio at all, it would just be HIIT sprint/walk cycles. Screw that boring steady state noise.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My cardio of choice since I don't like most, is dancing. I will usually add 15 minutes or more after my lifting. Turn my music up and dance around. Helps loosen me up and de-stress from the day as well.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. On my leg days, I'm literally dripping with sweat. I try not to stop moving as much as possible. I begin with 105 lb barbell hip thrusts, then 100 lbs reverse hack squats, 20 lbs back extensions, 20 lbs forward leaning lunges, 30 lbs pendulum quadruped hip extension, 70 lb deadlift or cable pull throughs, and other glute exercises with resistant bands, etc.

This workout usually takes 1 hour to complete and it's all glute focused. On this day, it really feels like I'm doing cardio. I do this 2 times a week. Is this an accurate assumption?

ps...I'm actively increasing my weight as I get stronger. I've only been doing glute routines for 3.5 months now and started with a pancake butt. I've gained 3 lbs of muscle.
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weight lift for the sole purpose of strength and aesthetics. I said goodbye to cardio about eight months ago. I had 17% body fat and didn't need to shed anymore. If you care about your health, throw a 20 minute stairmaster or incline walk after your workout sesh. If not, then don't :) cardio sucks.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. On my leg days, I'm literally dripping with sweat. I try not to stop moving as much as possible. I begin with 105 lb barbell hip thrusts, then 100 lbs reverse hack squats, 20 lbs back extensions, 20 lbs forward leaning lunges, 30 lbs pendulum quadruped hip extension, 70 lb deadlift or cable pull throughs, and other glute exercises with resistant bands, etc.

This workout usually takes 1 hour to complete and it's all glute focused. On this day, it really feels like I'm doing cardio. I do this 2 times a week. Is this an accurate assumption?

ps...I'm actively increasing my weight as I get stronger. I've only been doing glute routines for 3.5 months now and started with a pancake butt. I've gained 3 lbs of muscle.

Breaking a sweat is not a good indicator of how much cardio you are actually doing. You have to track your heart rate to know that for sure. Sweating is just a way for your body to cool down from the work that's being applied to your muscles. If you don't want to do cardio, don't. However, combining cardio of any form with a progressive resistance routine is the best way to lose weight, gain muscle, equalize your metabolism, hormones and body chemistry, as well as strengthen your cardiovascular system. It's always a good thing to strike a balance, unless you have something particular that you're working towards. I don't particularly like cardio myself but I love the feeling I get after an intense cardiovascular workout. I don't get the same affect from just weight lifting.
  • serapel
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »

Breaking a sweat is not a good indicator of how much cardio you are actually doing. You have to track your heart rate to know that for sure. Sweating is just a way for your body to cool down from the work that's being applied to your muscles. If you don't want to do cardio, don't. However, combining cardio of any form with a progressive resistance routine is the best way to lose weight, gain muscle, equalize your metabolism, hormones and body chemistry, as well as strengthen your cardiovascular system. It's always a good thing to strike a balance, unless you have something particular that you're working towards. I don't particularly like cardio myself but I love the feeling I get after an intense cardiovascular workout. I don't get the same affect from just weight lifting.

NOT what I wanted to hear haha. I just don't want to do cardio. Can I just do 20 min?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

how do you know you have gained three pounds of muscle?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

source?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

source?

I'd have to go look up and find the studies for you. No argument can be made that cardio strengthens the cardiovascular system. Just like any muscle, if you work it, it gets stronger and gains endurance. A good cardio workout can encourage the release of seretonin and endorphins, good for muscle relaxation and recovery and good for a healthy mental state. Muscles that can recover quicker and are not in constant pain can be utilized more often and more intensely. Plenty of studies show that a good high insensity program combining bouts of cardio with strength training increase blood and muscle oxygenation, allowing for better muscle usage over time. I don't have access to the journals these studies came from but studies have been done to show that there is no interference to muscle growth by cardiovascular work. Additionally, cardio also helps improve muscle endurance, which helps increase metabolic burn over time although much of the caloric burn of cardio happens during the work and shortly thereafter. Cardio causes seratonin and endorphin release which reduces stress. Stress is a known factor in why people have a harder time with diet and portion control. Although cardio itself may not be a direct factor to some of these effects, it definitely helps.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why not try something completely different? I really hate running so I tried boxing! It's great. The training is really fun. Skipping, footwork, sparring. Brilliant cardio & not at all monotonous.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I am looking forward to telling people I lost 50 pounds without doing any intentional cardio. I started strength training about 5 weeks into my weight loss and I will never look back. I've done endless amounts of cardio before and yeah, I lost weight, but it wasn't getting me the results I wanted. After just 7 weeks of lifting my body is transforming. And honestly, my heart rate is pretty high during my weightlifting sessions. I lift heavy and don't take long rest periods between sets (maybe 60-90 seconds).

For what it's worth, I'm fairly active anyway and get about 13k steps in a day but I don't consider that cardio, just part of my normal lifestyle.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what your goals and dreams are. Yes your list was right as far as diet lifting and then cardio.

If you just want to look good and cut then you won't need any cardio it's just a matter of the proper diet and the right kind of lifting but if you want to do other sports to me the cardio is a factor that helps your stamina. I'm an avid golfer and I have found that my increased cardio has benefited my game as I don't tire as easily. This has led me to lowering my score so to me the cardio is worth it.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Strength training does have some cardio-like effects, depending on how intense the workout is. There is a slight aerobic effect after strength training as your body works to begin the healing process, which can last several hours. The effect isn't as strong as doing actual cardio, but it's still there.
  • serapel
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how do you know you have gained three pounds of muscle?

I have been measured by my PT. I just got assessed by her.
  • serapel
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I am looking forward to telling people I lost 50 pounds without doing any intentional cardio. I started strength training about 5 weeks into my weight loss and I will never look back. I've done endless amounts of cardio before and yeah, I lost weight, but it wasn't getting me the results I wanted. After just 7 weeks of lifting my body is transforming. And honestly, my heart rate is pretty high during my weightlifting sessions. I lift heavy and don't take long rest periods between sets (maybe 60-90 seconds).

For what it's worth, I'm fairly active anyway and get about 13k steps in a day but I don't consider that cardio, just part of my normal lifestyle.

Good for you! that's awesome!!! 50 lbs....that's my 6 year old son!!!

Keep up the training and make sure you add barbell hip thrusts to your routine. It's soooo good for your glutes and core. My bum is beginning to look really round and it was a pancake. I'm now hip thrusting two 35 lb plates with the olympic bar - a total of 115 lbs TODAY!!! woot!!!

I've been reading info from the "Glute Guy" and he's awesome. He has some great videos too. His name is Bret Contreras - he's easy on the eyes too.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Keep up the training and make sure you add barbell hip thrusts to your routine. It's soooo good for your glutes and core. My bum is beginning to look really round and it was a pancake. I'm now hip thrusting two 35 lb plates with the olympic bar - a total of 115 lbs TODAY!!! woot!!!

I've been reading info from the "Glute Guy" and he's awesome. He has some great videos too. His name is Bret Contreras - he's easy on the eyes too.

I really like Bret Contreras. I do barbell hip thrusts every once in a while but usually deadlifts leave me gassed so I don't have much in the tank to do anything else on leg day after that! LOL I really do need to incorporate more of that, though. How long has it taken you to see results with doing those?
  • serapel
    Options

I really like Bret Contreras. I do barbell hip thrusts every once in a while but usually deadlifts leave me gassed so I don't have much in the tank to do anything else on leg day after that! LOL I really do need to incorporate more of that, though. How long has it taken you to see results with doing those?

I have gotten way better results from hip thrusts than any other leg exercise. Literally, 2-3 weeks, my bum began to grow very noticeably. I don't get that kind of result from squats or deadlifts.

I do the hip thrusts first and then the squatting and deadlifts afterwards.

Hope this helps :)
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I have gotten way better results from hip thrusts than any other leg exercise. Literally, 2-3 weeks, my bum began to grow very noticeably. I don't get that kind of result from squats or deadlifts.

I do the hip thrusts first and then the squatting and deadlifts afterwards.

Hope this helps :)

Same. Barbell hip thrusts are my #1 booty workout. Straight-legged instead of traditional deadlifts for me after though :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since heart disease is one of the top killers in this country (USA) and many others, maintaining good cardiovascular health throughout your life is a great idea. It's not guaranteed to prevent every heart condition, but sure helps with the majority of them.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I rarely do cardio, but have no problem jogging three or more miles. I do, however, have lifting days where I do high volume intensely with minimal rests between sets/movements. Usually during a deload week.