Shirataki Noodle - Anyone try it? Like? Dislike? Ideas?

Options

Replies

• stxfuneral
    Options
    i actually liked them. I bought them at Sprout's (my husband calls it the Hippie store), it is a health food grocery store like sun harvest and whole foods. Anyway, they were in the refrigerated area where you get the yogurt and tofu. You have to rinse them in water after taking them out of the package. After getting over the whole mind game thing that it wasn't pasta I found it to be good. It has a soft, silky texture? You have to try it to understand. I searched asian stores to find them and had no luck. They were hard to find for me, and I live in a big city. Best of luck!
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I have tried them. In the Toronto, Ontario area you can get them online at the Low Carb Grocery site.
    Overall, I wasn't a fan. They are tasteless and a little firmer than regular pasta. I am happier using a low carb spagetti.
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles

Above is a great post about them. Finally found a store near me that carries them so I'm going to pick some up...
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    They're kind of chewy. I love em. Rinse them and cook them before you eat them. Otherwise, they stink. The cooking gets rid of the fish smell.

- drain, rinse, microwave in a bowl for 2 mins

or

- drain, rinse, pan fry 2 minutes.

Add a wedge of laughing cow and some sazon. : ) Pretty tastey.

or add some sauce. :)
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I actually quite like them, particularly stir fried or in Asian style soups. Here are a couple other recipes that turned out pretty well:

Pasta Carbonara
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1441

Thai Curried
    http://www.mygarlicloveaffair.com/2010/04/shirataki-curry-noodles.html

Pumpkin Fettucine
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/968

I do have to rinse them really well because the smell fresh out of the package is a little odd to me. I don't care for them with red sauces (but then, I don't care for red sauces anyway) but I love flavor packed foods and these take on the flavor of what they are cooked with. I always keep 3-4 bags in the fridge. I love that I can make them into a HUGE between meal snack with very few calories. ;) Give them a try a couple times before you decide you don't like them.
  • Kina_
    Kina_ Posts: 7
    Options
    I like them when I'm feeling lazy and because of this I haven't experimented with many recipes, beyond just adding some vegetables to sauce I usually have already made and stored . The texture takes some getting used to, but I've found that the thinner noodles like the spaghetti and angel hair varieties are easier to handle. And yeah, the package is going to smell awful and vaguely fishy, so just make sure to wash them. A lot.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    I like them, but they will never replace real pasta. They're a good filler. And actually pretty darned good with a strong, spicy sauce to be eaten cold.

I rinse and dry cook them first in a wok, until they 'pop'. Then use them in whatever dish. Strong sauces are good - the noodles have no flavor of their own.

Last night I used a package along with a small amount of fresh non-fried yakisoba in my stir fry. It was wonderful in that it added a nice amount of bulk to be filling, but no real extra calories. Sauce was chicken broth, curry powder, hot soy sauce, and peanut flour.

I usually buy the angelhair variety, Konjac brand online. Or from Uwajimaya locally. I've not liked any of the thicker noodles I've tried. More noodle to 'bite' means you notice the texture difference more.
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I LOVE them. I'm a huge fan of pasta, but pasta is obviously not something you should eat a lot of. I use the Shirataki noodles as a noodle substitute, and it's perfect. I understand that they are strange when you first take them out of the package, but once you cook them, you can't really tell much of a difference. My personal favorite is to use them in fettuccine alfredo. I use the Classico light alfredo sauce, add one light Laughing Cow swiss cheese wedge, and a little bit of garlic. It's delicious, super filling, and low calorie!

PS- You can usually find it around the salad/tofu section of a grocery store. I always find them on sale 2 for $5.
  • ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i thought they would be a good substitute, but they smell like raw fish and made me almost vomit when I tried to eat them. It felt like i was eating fish strings, yuck.
  • RunDottyRun
    Options
    FOR AUSTRALIANS!

It's stocked in Woolworths, as "Slim Pasta" in the health food section near all the gluten free stuff :)
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    After rinsing, rinsing, rinsing and heating in a pan, I've decided to give this recipe a shot.

It's do or die Shirataki! Fingers crossed!

Add 2 oz. of reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt & pepper to taste.
  • sepharad1
    sepharad1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shirataki are amazing, especially if you are diabetic, as they have ZERO carbs. ZERO fat 3% fiber. The key is in HOW you cook them. 1) rinse them thoroughly, I mean thoroughly. 2) Shake out the excess water. Drop them into a med-high frying pan, don't bother with oil. 3) Turn them...keep turning them. What you are doing is driving out the excess water. Once there is NO moisture in the bottom of the pan (15-20 min ?), they are ready to season. You can add meat, soy sauce, Curry powder, sesame oil, fish sauce, even spaghetti sauce. I even make alfredo. IF you add too much moisture, say soy sauce, you need to once again cook out the excess liquid. Add ingredients with liquids ones first (so you can absorb them) then things like beef, vegetables etc later, to allow you to burn off then suck up flavor. They have no flavor whatsoever, without seasoning. Nor do the ones with seaweed added taste any different. If you don't rinse them, they smell.

This cooking out the moisture does 2 things: It alters the texture to a "Pasta" consistency, not slime, and allows the ABSORPTION of flavor. If in their initial wet state, they are slick like eels (weird mouth feel) and reject all flavor.

Jonathan
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yep, the dry fry is the step that can't be skipped. If you don't do it, it's like eating rubber bands :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Nope. To me, they have a smell that will not go away, and it's not fish. I can't describe it. It's not awful, but not nice either. After rinsing, rinsing, rinsing and boiling 3 times, then dry frying after each rinse and boil, and then cooking with garlic and other spices, they still stank my house up and had the texture of rubber and nearly made me toss my cookies. Just no.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have spaghetti squash "pasta". I do like the Shiritaki rice. I use the noodles once in a while when I make a soup, they're ok that way. Otherwise... ick.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    In Canada, you can get them in the Health food refrigerated section of Loblaws.

I tried them. I didnt find they were smelly, though I expected that. I did rinse them several times, but did not dry fry them. they were fine, but as so many others have said, they are pretty tasteless and serve to bulk up whatever you are eating. I ate mine with a meaty spaghetti sauce, and it was a good meal. I would probably buy them again if I was in a spaghetti or pad thai mood.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'd rather make zoodles!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Pasta Zero is really good. I completely recommend, particularly the fettuccine for pad thai.