Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Donut post workout anyone???

Options
btrias24
btrias24 Posts: 30 Member
Ok i dont do this but just read it to some article, in bodybuilding.com. i will make it simple.. Donut post workout to spike insulin??? Too good to be true? What's s ur input???

Replies

• btrias24
    Options
    Yes!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    btrias24 wrote: »
    Ok i dont do this but just read it to some article, in bodybuilding.com. i will make it simple.. Donut post workout to spike insulin??? Too good to be true? What's s ur input???

If you're trying to put on mass, you want that insulin spike...it's what helps make you grow. Personally not a donut guy, but when you're trying to put on mass, carbs are king in general for that spike...it is why white rice is so commonly used by body builders.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @ jenHuedy I'm glad I'm not the only one. There is an Italian Bakery right next to my gym. I stop in and get an eclair or cannoli when I run over 5 miles.

@carlos_421 better spike and it would clear up any issues with no being able to go potty. I'd still rather eat the donut.
  • btrias24
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're trying to put on mass, you want that insulin spike...it's what helps make you grow. Personally not a donut guy, but when you're trying to put on mass, carbs are king in general for that spike...it is why white rice is so commonly used by body builders.

I think spiking insulin post workout is necessary regardless if u want to gain mass or shred, coz it helps the body absorb all the protein and supps that u took before and during workout
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Won't protein alone spike insulin? Doesn't fat interfere with protein absorption i.e. donuts are high in fat..?

Why not just do gummy bears, glucose, or even granola for that matter?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    @ jenHuedy I'm glad I'm not the only one. There is an Italian Bakery right next to my gym. I stop in and get an eclair or cannoli when I run over 5 miles.

@carlos_421 better spike and it would clear up any issues with no being able to go potty. I'd still rather eat the donut.

Ha, I just saw on facebook that a friend of mine has designed her run route to hit her favorite donut shop.
  • btrias24
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Won't protein alone spike insulin? Doesn't fat interfere with protein absorption i.e. donuts are high in fat..?

I guess protein can but not as much as high gi carbs
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Screw it, why not just go for both? Mix a serving of dextrose into your post-workout whey protein shake, and call it done. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

I guess protein can but not as much as high gi carbs

I personally would leave off the fat like that...

But why not just do pre-workout nutrition/meal the right way.. It will EASILY elevate insulin above and beyond the maximal threshold seen to inhibit muscle protein breakdown. This insulin elevation resulting from the meal can persist long after your resistance training bout is done...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Mmm....yes please!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Gummy bears work fabulously...I eat them mid and post long runs. :)
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I usually eat jolly ranchers.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Gummy bears work fabulously...I eat them mid and post long runs. :)

I chew on these too when I run! LOL :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

I imagine I'd actually have trouble getting something as rich as a donut down right after a workout.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I imagine I'd actually have trouble getting something as rich as a donut down right after a workout.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I generally do liquid intake after a two hour lifting session, because anything else is just going to make me puke. Especially something like a donut.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's a thing. I assume it's mostly the alliteration and because lots of people like donuts and they make for good photos: https://doughnutsanddeadlifts.com/