Shirataki Noodle - Anyone try it? Like? Dislike? Ideas?

Options
13»

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get past the dead fish smell when I opened them. The texture is very rubbery. I never bought them again.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Seconding others on the need to dry-fry them, although I like slippery noodles anyway, so the texture doesn't bother me much. I really like them as a bulker in cold salads. My favorite is shiritaki, shredded carrot & cucumber, pickled radish, sesame seeds, and Ken's lite Asian Ginger Soy dressing. Add chopped chicken, or lettuce to make it a meal vs. a snack or side dish.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I like them and I always have some in my fridge, but there are a few "rules" I follow personally.

1) They are much much cheaper purchased from Asian markets, Much cheaper!
    2) I always drain and rinse and re-drain them before use.
    3) I always dry pan-fry them before use until they shrink in size just a bit.
    4) I never use them as Italian pasta. No marinara, no alfredo, etc. I only use them as Asian style noodles. Soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc. They are especially good with peanut sauce.

These are the ones I buy:

qi1w0m5tab2i.jpg
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    We eat konyaku (which I recall is used to make them?) in hotspot sometimes in Japan. Even the real stuff is pretty meh to be honest.

Be better off trying to replace with spiralized veggies like daikon (big white raddish) or zucchini!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Pasta Zero is really good. I completely recommend, particularly the fettuccine for pad thai.

Just picked up some of this tonight. It was, as mentioned here, in Walmart right next to the tofu. I think, because I hate myself, I'm just going to drain and rinse it, dry pan fry it, then pair it with some Kimchi and Sriracha Mayo.
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use them a lot! In Australia we have a brand called Slendier and the noodles are konjac root...
    They smell a bit wierd but once cooked you don't notice it. I typically use it to make bolognese with chicken or kangaroo mince. Give them a shot :smile:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    pastryari wrote: »
    I tried them. I'd rather eat regular pasta.

Same here. The novelty wore off fairly quickly...
  • nisilap
    nisilap Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tried um and the smell/ texture grossed me out. Cheaper alternative- zoodles! Twist some raw zucchini with a spiralizer- heat it in a pan w a little Evoo, salt and pepper and works great for pasta dishes in place of noodles