Gastric Bypass?

Options
2»

Replies

• emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    So lately I have really been thinking of the option of a Gastric Bypass surgery. I've googled some pros and cons, and I was wondering if you guys could list some as well.

Please do not be rude to me, I just would really love some helpful feedback on this topic. Also, how could I bring this about my doctor? I fit the criteria, so no need to be rude to me over that. And the reason I also said don't be rude, is because for four momths straight, I have done everything about my weight. I have exercised daily, and cut my calories out majorly. The most I lose is 8 pounds, then I plateau and gain more back. I'm losing all motivation to even live anymore, and to be the size I am, doesn't make this any better.

Thank you if you have read this, it means a lot!

Have you been weighing and accurately logging everything you eat to keep under your calorie goal?
    Perhaps you could discuss your weight issues with your doctor before you jump straight to surgery they may be able to make suggestions to help you. Gastric band is huge and dangerous surgery I'd ask for medical help and try all their suggestions before going for such a high risk 'quick fix'.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    It's not a quick fix.

And it's entirely possible you'll have to lose weight on your own first. Regardless of how you reach your weight-loss goal, you need to develop the habits to maintain it or you can eat your way back to where you are now. I have several work friends working on their second surgery. No change in how the approach food and nutrition.

Research the best option for you. Work with the doctors and be honest about your thoughts and feelings around eating and food.

Whatever approach you take, do it with eyes wide open and your long-term best interests in mind. You'll make the right decision, just have faith in yourself. :heart:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Cons
    There are no guarantees.
    Surgery has potential for serious complications, both immediately and later on.
    You still have to do the work of weight loss, before & after.
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I went to all the classes. I met with the psychiatrist and nutritionist. I did the six month waiting period. At the last minute, I cancelled my appointment for the gastric sleeve. Why? Because after seeing what my dad went through, (he was very sick and had to spend time in rehab) and after talking to my doctor, I am not sure it is right for me. She told me many of the people she sees stretch out their sleeve and gain in back and that is dangerous. The appetite is only suppressed for awhile, then it comes back. I drink a lot while I eat. You can't have anything to drink 1/2 hour before or after eating. You have to chew your food down to liquid practically, eat in a particular order (somebody else posted the sequence so I won't repeat) I have a referral to a medical weight loss doc. I hope that works. I'm glad you brought this topic up.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I had the RNY gastric bypass almost 13 years ago. I lost 160 pounds within the first couple of years and then it becomes very easy to start gaining again after that. Like most from my support group back then we have all gained back 40+ pounds some having gone through revisions to switch to different procedures and lose the rest. It's not a sure thing, but even with life threatening complications and being 60 pounds still from my goal weight I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. But as you can see, in the end, you're still going to find yourself here counting calories and trying to make good choices. The surgery does not take away the natural art of nutrition and good old fashioned dieting. It's not a magic pill.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bypass two years ago. I got my mobility back and off all prescription meds (T2 Diabetes and high blood pressure). I now habitually run, something I could not even imagine before.

I followed my team's directions religiously and perhaps because of that I had few negative side effects. I did not suffer hair loss for instance.

I am on vitamin supplements for life.

I still don't drink at meals so to stay hydrated I have some water at my side pretty well any time I am not eating.

I have a little one inch scar on my abdomen, and my surplus belly skin makes an interesting apron.

Those are my pros and cons.
  • Doug12016
    Doug12016 Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just finished reading a very interesting book by a bariatric surgeon. He has done a lot of the surgeries you are considering. He believes that consuming too much protein is at the root of our obesity problem. Whether you go ahead with the surgery or not you could benefit from his perspective on how to eat to lose weight. He has done extensive research and he de-bunks many of today's popular diets. The book is called "Proteinaholic" by Garth Davis MD and Howard Jacobson. Hope this helps!