Why is shirtless running ok only if you "have the right body type"?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Personally, I would prefer all men stay covered. I don't wanna see that. Women, on the other hand, can wear or (better yet) not wear whatever they like >:)

Seriously though, I don't understand the shirtless thing from a comfort standpoint. I hate the feeling of being covered in a sheen of sticky sweat (it's humid here in summer. Sweat doesn't evaporate, and our bodies have not adapted to figure out that when sweating fails to cool us in such conditions, sweating more doesn't help.) Wearing a shirt helps wick a lot of that away from the skin. Of course once the shirt becomes completely soaked it's equally as gross. But generally for me, the modest increase in air flow over the skin doesn't offset the increased intensity of the sun hitting it.

Sweat doesn't evaporate.
    Mkay.
    To his defense, he did say it was humid. As for the "intensity of the sun", I suppose for him (based on skin and hair color) that burning red isn't the same as getting tanned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    To his defense, he did say it was humid. As for the "intensity of the sun", I suppose for him (based on skin and hair color) that burning red isn't the same as getting tanned.

It kinda is in my case. I turn reddish in the summer and people think I'm horribly burnt and in pain, but that's just my summer color. What I meant by the intensity of the sun is that I can feel the direct rays of sunlight on my skin, and that is uncomfortable when it's hot out.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sweat doesn't evaporate.
    Mkay
    It When the humidity is over 94%, sweat doesn't evaporate quickly enough to do much good and ends up just sitting on the skin and feeling nasty.

Is it really necessary to explain every detail of context?

Yes it is. If you don't understand why people take off their shirts to run on a humid day, and say sweat doesn't evaporate so it can't be that reason, then yes details matter. No need to get salty.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options

It kinda is in my case. I turn reddish in the summer and people think I'm horribly burnt and in pain, but that's just my summer color. What I meant by the intensity of the sun is that I can feel the direct rays of sunlight on my skin, and that is uncomfortable when it's hot out.
    Opposite for me. As long as it's not too hot, I like the sun on my skin. I get dark as hell too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I know that feeling. "Ugh, the sun is touching me!" My husband laughs but it's exactly how I feel.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    It's part of emotional maturity. When you are over 35, you are pretty much in fatherhood territory and you need to set an example and not come across as the show off to passers by especially when there are children, teens and very young women around... Like in their late teens and early 20s.

Because you no longer fit the bill for young and dashing and society looks up to you to set an example. If I were 45 and I had a daughter... I'd never create a chance for her or her peers look at my shirtless body in my effing neighbourhood, and provide room for discussion. It's wrong on so many levels. Yet many dudes do this because they just seek the attention, because age is just a number and emotional maturity is often not proportional to age.

When I was a teenager and woman in her early 20s, I do not recall being emotionally scarred by the sight of an exposed chest or back belonging to a man over 35. I'm really not sure why this is something you find so inappropriate. Maybe men just get hot, and it's not necessarily a form of peacocking?

I don't think that poster was implying that the young ladies would be emotionally scarred. He was implying that the 20 yr old girls (his daughters friends, presumably) would be ogling his hot dad body and talking amongst their friends in the neighborhood.

Roflmao.

To be fair, the poster you're referring to never implied that he would be ogled. I remember the vicious things that people said as teenagers. Some people don't want their kids to have deal with people snickering about their dad's paunch or nudist tendencies.

• kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think seeing "I don't give a *kitten*"

with F**k Replaced by kitten is deeply amusing to me. It seriously cracks me up. EVERY.TIME.

Secondly I agree with @kxbrown27- teens are to damn busy looking at their phones anyway- secondly they will judge you for something regardless-s might as well do what you want.

And their judgement means *kitten*, hence not giving a *kitten*.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think seeing "I don't give a *kitten*"

with F**k Replaced by kitten is deeply amusing to me. It seriously cracks me up. EVERY.TIME.

Secondly I agree with @kxbrown27- teens are to damn busy looking at their phones anyway- secondly they will judge you for something regardless-s might as well do what you want.

Alas, I have no kittens to give :frowning:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Free the nipple! For some on this thread this applies to men as well as women. When did we become so offended by something we all have? A body? Surely it's healthier from a psychological development point of view to be comfortable with the notion we come in all shapes and sizes and we should get on with our lives regardless of what is underneath our clothing?

I don't see it much here. But go to Scotland on any sunny day almost any day of the year and you'll see lots of "lads" with their "taps aff", actual temperature be damned. It's a tourist attraction really.

Taps aff? I need a definition, ty. Lol