Anyone doing keto?

Options
I'm thinking about giving it a go. Anyone else doing it now? Any advice or tips to help me out?

Replies

• katielynn107
    katielynn107 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I actually just started looking into it so I haven't started it full force. I got the premise of it but would love a partner on the "keto diet train". Friend me! I was interested in starting it because i need to lose a certain amount of weight by a certain time for a surgery – so I need to lose about 20 pounds by beginning of November and what I've been doing hasn't been working fast enough – so I was hoping that the keto diet could sort of jumpstart that for me. I'm not big on numbers on the scale I like to go more by how I feel but unfortunately the insurance company says I need to be at a certain BMI.
  • SweanaGASP
    SweanaGASP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going keto! Got myself a keto cookbook a week and a half ago after hearing/reading about it for months, and started the diet the same day. Dropped 7 lbs so far, even tho I'm eating the same amount of calories a day as i used to
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My advice is to read a lot before going keto. So many try keto but do it in a way that is setting themselves up to fail. Mistakes include not increasing fat, using vegetable oils, choosing lean cuts of meat, not increasing sodium, magnesium or potassium, not anticipating a slight performance drop as the body gets used to using fat for fuel, or not staying low carb (adding cheat days or meals with regularity).

Books like Keto Clarity and the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living are very good. Atkins phase 1 is also keto. There are many keto blogs out there but my favourite is Peter Attia's.

Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group too. That's where most of us ketofiles are.
  • onecommongamer
    onecommongamer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been researching for a month now, so I shouldn't make those mistakes. My biggest worry is hitting my protein goal of 140g and my fat of 189g. 60% of my diet currently is carbs so its a big change.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    That is a big change. I would ease into it if you can. Cut carbs slowly. Maybe start with what you would view as the least healthy (the foods that should go) and then go from there. Increase your sodium to 3000-5000mg per day as soon as you cut carbs too.

If you choose meats that aren't extremely fatty, you should be able to hit that protein goal without trouble. When I fall short on protein I add fats (1 teaspoon coconut oil and whipped cream or butter) and a (basically) carb free protein powder to my coffees. It helps.

Good luck! :)
  • onecommongamer
    onecommongamer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • jasminethuc
    jasminethuc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I want to do keto but I have no idea where to begin
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I want to do keto but I have no idea where to begin

Look into books and websites, and the Low Carber Daily MFP group. Most start with lower carb, then low carb. The ones who do keto seem to get there because we feel better and better the more we cut carbs.
  • davidhenry09
    davidhenry09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice already. Definitely join the low carb group. Dietdoctor.com is a good site. Keto-calculator is a good place to get your macros or google okl chart and follow the directions on the left. Personally I'd say your fat grams are a bit too high. Part of the "high fat" part of the diet is the fat on your body. Other than olive oil, butter, avocado and fattier and dark cuts of meat I don't add any extra fat like bpc and fat bombs. Aim for at least 30 grams of protein per meal and add a veggie and you're set. Keep it simple and you'll do great!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you Keto people can do it. I'm the kind of person that can sit down and literally eat 1/2 a watermelon in one sitting. Plus a banana. And a bowl of grapes.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I don't know how you Keto people can do it. I'm the kind of person that can sit down and literally eat 1/2 a watermelon in one sitting. Plus a banana. And a bowl of grapes.

If you don't start, it is easy to stop. ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I could do that too. I just have no desire to do so.

Hell, let's try flipping it around for a second.
    I don't know how the HCLF people can do it. I'm the kind of person who wants butter and oil over all of the meat, and I can eat a pound of ground beef and a quarter pound of butter in a single sitting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I don't know how the HCLF people can do it. I'm the kind of person who wants butter and oil over all of the meat, and I can eat a pound of ground beef and a quarter pound of butter in a single sitting.

This is exactly why I only care about calories and protein. You can eat all the carbs and steak that you want!

OP et al,

Here is the link to the low carb group in case you were wondering: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

I actually flip between both, depending on the day and the mood that I'm in. Last night I ate tons of fruit and rice. Tonight I ate rotisserie chicken, bacon, roasted bone marrow, bone broth, low-carb veggies, and no-sugar-added coconut milk ice cream.

I'm just not one of those people that can make their minds up and follow a dedicated diet plan.
  • unic0rnfarts
    unic0rnfarts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    As it's already been stated here - make sure you keep up electrolytes! Carby things like potatoes apparently have a lot of potassium and magnesium, and they were a staple in my diet before. I definitely experienced the "keto flu" my second go around.
    One night after work, after doing keto for almost two weeks and drinking much more water than I normally had been before starting keto, my neck, back, shoulders and calves felt like I had just gotten beaten up. I took Aleve, Tylenol, and even used Icy Hot and it did absolutely nothing. I felt SO bad, was exhausted, delirious, and I was just acting funny, according to those around me. I had already been advised by someone more experienced than me to eat a lot of raw, leafy greens and drink some broth regularly before I started, but it wasn't explained to me WHY it was important, and I never had issues before... I had been logging everything I ate, so I checked, and my daily potassium and sodium were insanely low! Like 100mg a day or much less for over a week - I don't think they could've been lower even if I tried. I'd been eating things like a lot of salad (romaine lettuce) and plain chicken the whole time. I figured that was the problem, took potassium supplements** and drank some broth made out of bouillon cubes and went to sleep. I felt MUCH better the next morning. Now if I skip my 2x daily potassium supplement or if I don't get enough sodium, I feel it the next day or so. So really be sure to be eating a lot of nutrient rich vegetables like spinach, supplement things you have trouble getting enough of (like fats), and do your best to figure out what works for you.
    For example - I found out that sugar alcohols don't really affect me or my blood sugar much if at all, but my boyfriend is very sensitive to them and if he has too many within a time frame, he risks going out of keto.
    Find out what kind of keto dieter you are - do you need to "substitute" foods, or can you do without? Would a cheeseburger be just as satisfying without a bun - meat and dressings only, or would you like it more with a low carb tortilla or something similar? That kind of thing. I'm a substituter - I need my low carb tortillas occasionally.
    Take vitamins. Drink lots of water. Don't be afraid to add things like coconut oil or extra butter or heavy cream to get closer to your fat goal, since they're heavy in calories but will keep you satisfied longer. Figure out what sort of macros you need based on your goals, and calculate your basal metabolic rate. KetoCalculator is great for macros.

Good luck!

** Potassium gluconate pills that are sold in stores are not the same as extended release potassium chloride pills you get from a doctor. Taking TOO MUCH over the counter potassium gluconate at once (which are restricted to being 100mg by the FDA, despite the recommended daily amount being about 3,500-4,700mg) can be dangerous to your health as it is absorbed more rapidly into the GI tract than a prescription extended release pill, which can cause cardiac issues, trouble breathing, confusion, etc. If you have hypertension or kidney issues, it's always best to check with your doctor before taking something like potassium gluconate supplements.
  • sugarhighme
    sugarhighme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started keto a week ago and so far I love it. I'm definitely someone who enjoys bread, pastries and pasta. The thing is, once I start eating those things, I can't stop. I went through the pantry and filled up a laundry basket and big storage tub with all of the pasta, bread, tortillas, bread mixes, dressings, rice, etc. and I gave it to a friend. (Throwing out food is not something I could easily do.) So far, I don't miss anything. As of Friday, I am down 5 pounds already. My meals fills me up. My husband and I are both doing keto and we are VERY different eaters. He wants to sub all of the carby stuff and I'd rather just go without it. Both of us are having success so I guess it doesn't matter which you prefer. Bring on the cream and cheese! It's the best diet ever.
  • Chitchatkat
    Chitchatkat Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love keto too! When I started eating this way 2 yrs ago I didn't even have a name for it. I stopped eating sugar to help early arthritis symptoms in my hands and it worked! Then I noticed my clothes were getting too big----bonus!! :) I didn't get on the scale for months (too discouraging) but was shocked when I did---- lost 30 lbs in about 5 months--and feel 15 yrs younger. So much energy. Keep going!
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I follow a ketoish diet. I eat a higher percentage of protein then what is typical for the keto diet.
  • kcopeland47
    kcopeland47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just wanna say a huge "thank you " to all who've posted here, reading the comments has been so helpful. I'm new to this ketogenic diet as well. Started 6 days ago along with my sister. High protein and low carb always worked well for me in the past until a year ago when health issues hit me in my early 50's, along with degenerative arthritis, massive high dose steroids and antibiotics over the course of about 6-7 months. Needless to say, I acquired a rather large( no HUGE) love for carbs and sugar. 30 pounds now heavier and nothing that used to work for me in the past is working now. Coming off the carbs n sweets has been slightly hellish but I'm so determined to feel better and now realize the sugar carb roller coaster is madness and total insanity. I must admit however, this is more difficult than I initially thought, but I'm determined. So thankful you all are here....