Tracking everydsy

Options
Do you track everything, everyday? I find it harder in evenings and weekends when my husband is home. I struggle with loss of control of measuring every little ingredient.

Replies

• koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can't lie to your body so why lie to your food log?

Why do you find it so difficult to measure when your husband is home? Inconvenient? He cooks? Figuring that out may be the key to helping you be as accurate as possible.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Do you track everything, everyday? I find it harder in evenings and weekends when my husband is home. I struggle with loss of control of measuring every little ingredient.

I feel much more in control when I weigh and measure my foods out.

• JenniferOBX12
    JenniferOBX12 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For instance, I make chili in the crockpot and measure every ingredient to the gram as I enter it in. After its cooked I have to take it back out of the crockpot and see what the total weight is again since it changed over cooking.

If he scoops his portion out before I get to do the second measurement then I am flustered I don't have a total cooked weight measurement.

If I make this again in the future, I have to do the same thing since maybe I added 20 more grams of onions this time than last time.

I spend so much time getting everything tracked that it gets overwhelming and I am just searching for an easier way than taking 30 minutes to measure all my cooked food out when the family is waiting for me at the table.

Not making excuses, not "lying" to my food diary, just looking for help especially when making recipes or eating other non packaged foods, crockpot meals, casseroles, ect. Things that just are not a simple chicken breast with nothing on it.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Can your scale handle the weight of your crockpot (perhaps when empty)? I keep notes in the kitchen, and I know the weights for the pots and bowls I use most often. That keeps me from having to transfer the food back and forth after cooking. My scale can't handle a full crockpot, but it can handle most other things. Ask your husband not to touch the food unless you've weighed it. You're right; it can be a pain sometimes.
  • stephenhopkins2
    stephenhopkins2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If he scoops his portion out before I get to do the second measurement then I am flustered I don't have a total cooked weight measurement.

Im not understanding why you need to weigh again after cooking, what information does that give you, Surely you want to add all the ingredients to the recipe and then how many grams of the finished product you made. Im new to this so i could be missing something.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Im not understanding why you need to weigh again after cooking, what information does that give you, Surely you want to add all the ingredients to the recipe and then how many grams of the finished product you made. Im new to this so i could be missing something.

The water that cooks off will change the weight of the final product, giving it more calories per gram.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    @stephenhopkins2 You almost answered your own question. You would measure all the ingredients individually, cook the dish (if applicable), weigh the finished product to get the total calorie amount for the whole dish, and then weigh out your portion to figure how many calories you're eating.

With chili, for example, you may add a 15oz can of beans. You're not eating the entire can, and you can't separate the beans from the chili to weigh what you put in your bowl. Same thing with your ground meat, tomatoes, etc. You have to know the weigh of whole pot of chili and subtract your bowl from that to get your calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For instance, I make chili in the crockpot and measure every ingredient to the gram as I enter it in. After its cooked I have to take it back out of the crockpot and see what the total weight is again since it changed over cooking.

If I make this again in the future, I have to do the same thing since maybe I added 20 more grams of onions this time than last time.

I spend so much time getting everything tracked that it gets overwhelming and I am just searching for an easier way than taking 30 minutes to measure all my cooked food out when the family is waiting for me at the table.

Not making excuses, not "lying" to my food diary, just looking for help especially when making recipes or eating other non packaged foods, crockpot meals, casseroles, ect. Things that just are not a simple chicken breast with nothing on it.

Weigh crockpot empty and then remove weight from cooked weight

Tell him not to touch it till you've weighed it

Weigh an equal portion to the one he took out and double it

Accept 20% margin of error it goes both ways and is common..

An extra 20g onion will make no difference

How can it take 30 mins to weigh food?
    -put plate on scale, add thing 1, remember or scribble down
    -tare to zero add thing 2, remember or scribble down etc
    2 mins tops
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food for the day before I eat breakfast. I eat what I logged. I find it easier that way even if there are minor adjustments to the day.
    I don't weigh my food before and after cooking usually. Just once. I have followed a recipe closely- even if I wrote it myself- so I don't add 40 g of something one day and 100 g another day. I entered my recipe in the recipe builder, figured out the amount of servings for the recipe and just divide it into equal portions.
    I will weigh my food out before I tell my family the food is ready. We eat at the same time every night but I often have to hunt them down, tell them and they mosey to the kitchen/table 10+ minutes later. They never get to the food before I have a chance to weigh it.
    Try following a plan, following a recipe, using the recipe builder, telling people to wait until you are ready to serve the food. Be more controlling and assertive to your family? Make them wait 1 minute.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I find a crock pot liner to be a big help. My scale cant take the weight of my crock so i put a plastic bowl on my scale and carefully lift the liner out, tie the top off with a clip and put it in the bowl. Weigh ,and put back in crock. my recipes differ enough each time to reweigh as well.
  • JenniferOBX12
    JenniferOBX12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. My oxo scale can't handle the weight of a crockpot but it can a frying pan and maybe a baking dish.

It can take longer than 2 mins to enter new items since I look through and don't choose one that has even one micro off and it's common to have a number off. As I enter more items I know the time entering food will be reduced.

And thank you for saying I need to be more assertive! You know what your right! I back down when I get all negative and why bother comments. I need to push back for the benefit of myself!
  • Roobyzooby
    Roobyzooby Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but if you intend to eat what you have made, regardless, why can't you weight it after its cooked as talked about above, then make a quick written note, and enter it on to you food diary after you have eaten it, giving you time to search the correct entry.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    regardless of whether or not Sir is home, i weigh my food. most of what i make is simple, or a recipe i have in the builder (after 2 years nearly everything i routinely make is in there and variations arent going to be enough to make a difference to me). I serve him, then plate up mine while on the scale and tare out between foods. jot it down log it later.

not hard and doesnt take but an extra minute, if that.

Other than being mildly amused sometimes (usually just to give me a hard time LOL), Sir has no concern over me weighing my food, and doesn't think about it any more than I do. it's a habit I have. nothing more, or less, to him.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes. Log everything, everyday - or as close to it as possible. If I have Sesame Chicken at a local Chinese place, I'll find something from a national chain that is on MFP since it's likely the local place won't be listed in the MFP database. So - close enough counts.

If you can't be real on the food log, you are not likely to make much progress. That leads to frustration, which leads to quitting. Why put yourself through all that?

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and whether or not what you're doing now is working.

If you are losing weight at a pace that is acceptable to you & healthy, then keep doing as you are doing. Less accuracy in the evenings is not hurting you. If you're not losing then the way to change that is to improve your accuracy and take control of your food decisions/portions.

I know what you mean about some conditions making things harder. Ultimately it comes down to a matter of choice. If you know some days/times of day will be harder, you can go a little lighter on your calories at other times to help offset it.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs and did not weigh my food once during those 2 years. It can really help but if you add an extra 100 - 200 kcal (depending on total kcal goal) than that usually makes up for the missed calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A lot of times, the people around us are not dieting when we are. I do think it is a little important to make sure that everyone in the household is on board with your goals! So if the people in your world are doing something different when compared to your diet, keep that in mind, that they do not have to be.

Stay the course with your commitment. Our nights consist of a dinner that I cook and everyone eats that, or they can eat something else or something additional. Our weekends are still controlled but we eat a little different than our normal Mon - Fri eating. A little more relaxed in food choices, but still within reason to not out do goals.

I weight all my own food I eat, and weight all the food I cook and proportion my out separately. The one thing that is different with me is that we are both trying to loose, me with counting and my husband is not (I am sort of doing that for him off the calorie counting grid per se..lol).. :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you have the weight of the raw ingredients and know you are going to eat , say, 1/4 of the finished pot (allowing for husbands and leftovers0 then just ad 1/4/ of each item to your diary. The loss of water does not matter as it has no calories!
  • Sugar_Slayer
    Sugar_Slayer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do the same as you in regard to weighing each ingredient and then the total amount. My family has learned to not touch the food until I have weighed it - particularly on items like chili. They have gotten to the point of asking if they can start dishing up to make sure I've done my thing. What I do so they don't have to wait is jot it down on paper as I'm going and then enter it after I'm done eating. Your hubby just needs to learn patience.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't like weighing the entire batch of a recipe after cooking either. In situations like this I measure or eyeball the number of servings in the finished dish and enter that into the recipe builder and live with the inaccuracy.
    For example:
    Chili: Serve out four bowls, I know each bowl is about 12 fluid ounces. Measure what's left in the pot, say it's 24 ounces. That recipe made 6 Abby2205 standard bowl servings.
    Lasagna: I entered the recipe while it was in the oven, figured that 6 servings would be right. Stared at the finished lasagna, decided that 6 Is not enough, cut it by eye into 8 servings instead and edited the recipe. Had 1/2 piece later, logged it as 1/2 serving.
    Mashed potatoes: use a spatula to divide it into 4 quarters while still in the pot.