Tracking everydsy

Options
2»

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about weighing a full pot of food...

Couldn't you weigh it on your bathroom scale if it's too heavy for a kitchen scale? Would that be too gross?
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    A lot of times, the people around us are not dieting when we are.

I don't like the term. In my mind, I'm not dieting but I'm making lifelong changes to my eating habit.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I echo with the weighing before and after thing. One thing I do is each time I make that recipes again I go in to the recipe section and edit everything that is different from last time. Sometimes I add different ingredients it's only a slight adjustment but at least I know it's correct.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    I don't like weighing the entire batch of a recipe after cooking either. In situations like this I measure or eyeball the number of servings in the finished dish and enter that into the recipe builder and live with the inaccuracy.
    For example:
    Chili: Serve out four bowls, I know each bowl is about 12 fluid ounces. Measure what's left in the pot, say it's 24 ounces. That recipe made 6 Abby2205 standard bowl servings.
    Lasagna: I entered the recipe while it was in the oven, figured that 6 servings would be right. Stared at the finished lasagna, decided that 6 Is not enough, cut it by eye into 8 servings instead and edited the recipe. Had 1/2 piece later, logged it as 1/2 serving.
    Mashed potatoes: use a spatula to divide it into 4 quarters while still in the pot.

^This.

I do this exactly. Once I know the calories of the total dish, I figure out how many servings I think it will be. I made a pizza and sliced it into 8 pieces, but I ate two of those pieces - that became 1 serving. I put it in the recipe builder as having 4 servings. Every two pieces is a serving.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    A lot of times, the people around us are not dieting when we are. I do think it is a little important to make sure that everyone in the household is on board with your goals!

i do not make separate meals for anyone. we all eat the same. i cook, therefore i know whats in the food and how much. i weigh mine. they dont. they all eat more than i do, with exception of my 10 year old (and even then, sometimes he does). even when Sir cooks, he will write down everything in it (nothing is ever swapped out just for me) and keep track of it for me, or I'll sit in the kitchen and we'll chat and ill write it down as he does it. he knows to weigh the piece of meat (ie: chicken or steak) and keep track of where mine is, while cooking.

and i didnt lose 80 pounds by DIETING. I lost it by making sustainable, long term eating and exercise habits and changes. A diet ENDS. what I do, does NOT.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    A useful motto to keep in mind: "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

When I make a new recipe (and I have about 150 I've created in MFP), I add the raw ingredients to get a total calorie count for the dish. I then estimate the number of servings, which gives me calories per serving. I'm usually making leftovers, so if it's something like soup whose serving sizes might vary, I'll use my ladle to parcel it out into fridge/freezer containers. That lets me know how many ladles there are per estimated serving. So if it's 3 ladles per serving, then I'll write that on a piece of masking tape affixed to the container.

If I make the recipe again, I don't worry about using 120g of onions vs 100g because onions don't have very many calories. I'm more careful about oil, fat, meat, sugar, and other ingredients with a high calorie density.

And if I'm not sure whether I've gotten the serving sizes right, I'll log a bit extra and not worry too much about it.

In short: do your best, worry most about high-calorie ingredients, and focus on being consistent. If you log 450 calories, and it was really 500, that's a lot better than not logging at all and eating 800.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    LuckyAndi wrote: »
    @stephenhopkins2 You almost answered your own question. You would measure all the ingredients individually, cook the dish (if applicable), weigh the finished product to get the total calorie amount for the whole dish, and then weigh out your portion to figure how many calories you're eating.

With chili, for example, you may add a 15oz can of beans. You're not eating the entire can, and you can't separate the beans from the chili to weigh what you put in your bowl. Same thing with your ground meat, tomatoes, etc. You have to know the weigh of whole pot of chili and subtract your bowl from that to get your calories.

I find the recipe builder very helpful for this sort of thing: I have basic recipe for, say, my oat flour-honey loaf. The basic amounts are the same every week, so all the ingredients are stored in the recipe database; I know that a half-cup measure (I know, I know, bad for measuring with cups!) is a serving (because that fills a muffin cup for baking).

From week to week, if I vary my recipe with additions or revisions, I just edit the existing recipe, and, if necessary, the amount of servings that week's yield will be. This week, I added ground flaxseed to my dry ingredients and ended up with 12 muffins, so I adjusted my number of servings to 12, and the program calculated how many calories, etc. each serving would be. Last week, it was 16 servings - I assume the flaxseed drank up a lot of my added water and reduced the number of scoops in my nice big mixing bowl - it certainly was thicker than usual.

So I'd do something similar with chili - log my basic ingredients and amounts into the Recipe Builder. All the calories and macro info will be loaded into the little file. Then. Weigh out what would be your portion. Estimate your husband's portion (or better, ask him to weigh it out for you). Pretend it's twice as much as yours. So now you can ballpark about how many servings there are in your chili recipe. Fill that number into the Servings cell, and now you have a fair idea of where you stand. And you have the foundation for any variations in the future (beef instead of beans, let's say).
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The other thing I do to make dealing with the large pots of things like chili is to just weigh out what we're eating right then into bowls and then when I get ready to freeze the remainder I just weigh the bags after I've put them in freezer bags. Then I can just add up all the weights and do the math and mark the weight and calorie count right on the bag.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    A useful motto to keep in mind: "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

When I make a new recipe (and I have about 150 I've created in MFP), I add the raw ingredients to get a total calorie count for the dish. I then estimate the number of servings, which gives me calories per serving. I'm usually making leftovers, so if it's something like soup whose serving sizes might vary, I'll use my ladle to parcel it out into fridge/freezer containers. That lets me know how many ladles there are per estimated serving. So if it's 3 ladles per serving, then I'll write that on a piece of masking tape affixed to the container.

If I make the recipe again, I don't worry about using 120g of onions vs 100g because onions don't have very many calories. I'm more careful about oil, fat, meat, sugar, and other ingredients with a high calorie density.

And if I'm not sure whether I've gotten the serving sizes right, I'll log a bit extra and not worry too much about it.

In short: do your best, worry most about high-calorie ingredients, and focus on being consistent. If you log 450 calories, and it was really 500, that's a lot better than not logging at all and eating 800.

I was going to say something very similar...don't major in the minors. Weight loss takes a long time, and it's more important to find a balance so that you can maintain your new behaviors in the long run without making yourself insane or burning out and giving up. Pay the most attention to the things that will make the most impact (such as oil/fat/meat/sugar, like bwogilvie mentioned above), but be okay with letting other things go (like the extra 8 calories from those extra 20g of onions). 8 calories will never make or break your eating plan, but worrying about those 8 calories regularly could make you decide that calorie tracking is too difficult and quit.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about weighing a full pot of food...

Couldn't you weigh it on your bathroom scale if it's too heavy for a kitchen scale? Would that be too gross?

I suppose theoretically this could work (although I would definitely move the scale out of the bathroom first) but you would have to keep in mind that a bathroom scale typically only measures to .1 lb, which is 45ish grams that it's rounding off.

I weigh every serving I or my boyfriend eats, then weigh and divide the leftovers into single serving bowls, and add it all up. Disadvantage is that I don't know exactly how many calories I've had until dinner is over and put away, but my crock pot is the only thing I have that my scale can't handle, and I don't have very many recipes I make in that.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, take advantage of the "Meal" tab by saving meals you frequently make. Also, use a recipe builder site that can tell you how many calories a serving size can be. So for the chili, put in all of the ingredients (20g of onions, 15oz bean, etc) and then tell it how many serving sizes you want it to be, so 4 servings of 6oz portions, and that the site will give you the amount of calories in each 6oz portion. Then put a bowl on the scale, and weigh out 6oz. If you want seconds, put bowl back on scale and weight out 3-4oz.

https://caloriecount.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php