Gnocchi calories... does that even make sense to you?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Gnocchi2Nutr.jpg

That's what their website says. But my package says 90 calories for 120g (they're not dry. They're fresh and only cook 2 minutes).

Only 90 calories for 120g? I'm not buying it...

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Where do you get 120 grams from?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Where do you get 120 grams from?

I edited my post. The package says 90 calories for 120g (they're fresh in the refrigerated section). Which I guess would be the same as 56g dry anyway... but only 90 calories?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What are you talking about? You weigh them as 56grams right out of the package. That's what "dry" means. It's 90 calories.

Edited:
    If the package is 120 grams, then that is about servings. So, about 180 calories for 120 grams
  • Francl27
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What are you talking about? You weigh them as 56grams right out of the package. That's what "dry" means. It's 90 calories.

Edited:
    If the package is 120 grams, then that is about servings. So, about 180 calories for 120 grams

My package says 1 serving is 120g/90 calories and that there are 4 servings in the package (there were 4.2).

It just seems like very few calories for gnocchi... that's why I wanted to ask everyone's opinion.

ETA: there is an entry in the database for the same thing but it says 190 calories for 3/4 of a cup, which seems more realistic.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It does seem a little low, I agree. These are the gnocchi I really like right now: http://www.threebridges.com/catalog/parmesan-gnocchi/ and they're 230 cal/100 g. Granted they contain egg and cheese and yours don't but even from buying plain gnocchi in the past I remember a package hovering around the 600 calorie mark for sure. Never 400.

Edit: actually now that I looked more closely at it, it doesn't make any sense for "my" gnocchi either. It's supposed to be 3.5 servings of 100 g but the whole package is only 255 g so the serving is based on some arbitrary wet weight. This is stupid but I just always add up the whole package and then split it in so many servings and use that number.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Where are you seeing 120 grams? The serving size says 2 ounces/56 grams.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sounds right to me.
  • Francl27
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »
    It does seem a little low, I agree. These are the gnocchi I really like right now: http://www.threebridges.com/catalog/parmesan-gnocchi/ and they're 230 cal/100 g. Granted they contain egg and cheese and yours don't but even from buying plain gnocchi in the past I remember a package hovering around the 600 calorie mark for sure. Never 400.

Edit: actually now that I looked more closely at it, it doesn't make any sense for "my" gnocchi either. It's supposed to be 3.5 servings of 100 g but the whole package is only 255 g so the serving is based on some arbitrary wet weight. This is stupid but I just always add up the whole package and then split it in so many servings and use that number.

I just went with 190 instead of 90. Just too weird. Won't buy that brand again!
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I've never heard of being able to buy "dry" gnocchi. It looks like they're meaning "uncooked" when they say "dry". And I guess it's possible that the 56 g uncooked weight absorbs enough water to become 120 g when cooked. But I would definitely not believe 90 calories for 120 g before cooking for gnocchi.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I've never heard of being able to buy "dry" gnocchi. It looks like they're meaning "uncooked" when they say "dry". And I guess it's possible that the 56 g uncooked weight absorbs enough water to become 120 g when cooked. But I would definitely not believe 90 calories for 120 g before cooking for gnocchi.

Yep, makes no sense. The weight really didn't change much after cooking either, from 120g a serving to 130g. But still. 90 calories for one serving of gnocchi... nope.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm having gnocchi for dinner tonight. Mine is 343 calories for 225g.

ETA: That's dry uncooked weight
  • Francl27
    Options

Are they dry though? I mean, the only gnocchi I can find is typically in the refrigerated aisle and is cooked in 2 minutes, so it's not really dry.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Gnocchi is mostly potato, and those cals are pretty close to an average potato for weight. A little more for flour.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Are they dry though? I mean, the only gnocchi I can find is typically in the refrigerated aisle and is cooked in 2 minutes, so it's not really dry.

By dry, they mean the way it's packed, before you cook it.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Gnocchi2Nutr.jpg

That's what their website says. But my package says 90 calories for 120g (they're not dry. They're fresh and only cook 2 minutes).

Only 90 calories for 120g? I'm not buying it...

.1g fat.x 9 cal/g = 1 cal
    20g carb x 4 cal/g = 80 cal
    2g protein x 4g = 8 cal
    Totals 89 calories/ serving. There's some rounding, but it's right.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Yep, i know what you mean. Mine are in the fridge section too. I bring the water to the boil, add the gnocchi, and take them out once the water boils again. I'm going to look for your brand next time :lol:

By dry, they mean the way it's packed, before you cook it.

Yes.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok it's still weird. I did end up logging them at 190 calories for 120g out of the package (package said 90 calories for 120g).
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just rummaged through my bin to find the packet lol I'd take a pic but half the ingredient list has been ripped off, i can read the first few ingredients though.

Rehydrated potato (81%)
    Water
    Potato flakes
    potato starch

The nutrition label says 135g per serve when cooked, i didn't notice that until just now, i weighed them before cooking. Crap, crap, crap.. I stuffed up big time on this one. I've never seen a product list 'cooked' weights before, which is why i never thought to check!
  • Francl27
    Options
    I just rummaged through my bin to find the packet lol I'd take a pic but half the ingredient list has been ripped off, i can read the first few ingredients though.

Rehydrated potato (81%)
    Water
    Potato flakes
    potato starch

The nutrition label says 135g per serve when cooked, i didn't notice that until just now, i weighed them before cooking. Crap, crap, crap.. I stuffed up big time on this one. I've never seen a product list 'cooked' weights before, which is why i never thought to check!

Well my 120g out of the package turned into 130g after 2 minutes, if it helps.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Rehydrated potato (81%)
    Water
    Potato flakes
    potato starch

Well my 120g out of the package turned into 130g after 2 minutes, if it helps.

Phew, that makes me feel better :smiley: