Carbs...are still carbs?

Options

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You do not understand why we eat. The chemical reactions that occur in every cell in your body require energy. The production of new macromolecules - proteins, carbohydrates, fats, and nucleic acids - require energy and raw materials. This energy and raw materials comes from food. Not all food that you eat is stored as fat - only calories in excess of what you need is stored.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What in the world is going on in here?

As to the OP, and forgetting all the quackery being posted, get rid of that nutritionist. Anyone who says you can't lose weight eating carbs (barring a medical condition) isn't the brightest soul to be listening to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jackfox68 wrote: »
    Create energy out of nothing? Not following.
    You said that you created a 500 calories deficit and went up a few pounds. How did that energy get created if you were at a deficit of energy.

It is pretty simple - the fat cells in, having been insulin resistant, are inflamed and increase their metabolic activity. This makes them store even more of the body's incoming energy.

No, insulin resistance causes cells to be progressively more unable to absorb glucose from the bloodstream.

Yeah, and since they don't have glucose, they become worried about starvation and begin storing more fat to make up the difference in energy.
    I've started eating a ton of vegetables over the last week. I found a farmers market and got a lot of celery, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, and apples.

Instead of chips and a sandwich, I have a sandwich with carrots and cucumbers.

I was under the impression that eating low calorie fresh foods would surely be a path to weight loss but the nutritionist disagrees saying veggies are still carbs and you can't lose weight eating carbs.

This sort of made my head spin... Any input to this?
    Don't talk to a nutritionist. Especially one who states that one can't lose weight eating carbs. Speak to a Registered Dietician.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

They don't have to be registered. Some people are politically against registering as against their freedoms to dietary advice as they see fit.
    Lol, a Registered Dietician is LICENSED. One who doesn't, isn't. So would rather consult a lawyer who can pass the bar and practice law, or have a lawyer who can't? You have some of the oddest answers to people's questions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course. If I could have a lawyer represent me who hadn't passed the bar, I'd know he could win. He's already overcome the laws about needing to pass the bar to represent someone, so I'd be confident that lawyer could overcome the laws I need overcome.
    Lol, good luck with that then. BTW, you do know that it's illegal for a lawyer who hasn't passed the bar (of any particular state) to represent anyone in a court of law? Even licensed lawyers in one state need to be bar admitted to another state or jurisdiction to practice law. BOOM again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you, you've made my point. If the person can already overcome those laws (you can't represent someone without passing the bar) they're a great lawyer, so I'd want them to represent me.
    What point? Lol, how can they represent you if they can't PRACTICE in a court of law? They'd be thrown out of court or jailed immediately. So how are they overcoming the law? :D Again, more weird answers to issues you aren't familiar with.

OP go with a REGISTERED DIETICIAN. As a fitness professional in the field on a daily basis and working with over 1000 clients who needed help with weight issues, I can emphatically tell you this is the correct choice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You said that you created a 500 calories deficit and went up a few pounds. How did that energy get created if you were at a deficit of energy.

It is pretty simple - the fat cells in, having been insulin resistant, are inflamed and increase their metabolic activity. This makes them store even more of the body's incoming energy.

No, insulin resistance causes cells to be progressively more unable to absorb glucose from the bloodstream.

Yeah, and since they don't have glucose, they become worried about starvation and begin storing more fat to make up the difference in energy.
    I've started eating a ton of vegetables over the last week. I found a farmers market and got a lot of celery, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots, and apples.

I was under the impression that eating low calorie fresh foods would surely be a path to weight loss but the nutritionist disagrees saying veggies are still carbs and you can't lose weight eating carbs.

Don't talk to a nutritionist. Especially one who states that one can't lose weight eating carbs. Speak to a Registered Dietician.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They don't have to be registered. Some people are politically against registering as against their freedoms to dietary advice as they see fit.
    Lol, a Registered Dietician is LICENSED. One who doesn't, isn't. So would rather consult a lawyer who can pass the bar and practice law, or have a lawyer who can't? You have some of the oddest answers to people's questions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course. If I could have a lawyer represent me who hadn't passed the bar, I'd know he could win. He's already overcome the laws about needing to pass the bar to represent someone, so I'd be confident that lawyer could overcome the laws I need overcome.
    Lol, good luck with that then. BTW, you do know that it's illegal for a lawyer who hasn't passed the bar (of any particular state) to represent anyone in a court of law? Even licensed lawyers in one state need to be bar admitted to another state or jurisdiction to practice law. BOOM again.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you, you've made my point. If the person can already overcome those laws (you can't represent someone without passing the bar) they're a great lawyer, so I'd want them to represent me.
    What point? Lol, how can they represent you if they can't PRACTICE in a court of law? They'd be thrown out of court or jailed immediately. So how are they overcoming the law? :D Again, more weird answers to issues you aren't familiar with.

OP go with a REGISTERED DIETICIAN. As a fitness professional in the field on a daily basis and working with over 1000 clients who needed help with weight issues, I can emphatically tell you this is the correct choice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Unless they choose not to register for ethical reasons :wink:

OP, fire your nutritionist. She's a twit. Eat your veggies and fruit, eat (rather than drink, when possible) your protein. And keep your calories in line with your goals. Monitor for several weeks and adapt accordingly (losing too slowly, decrease calories; losing too fast, increase them). Read the stickies at the top of the getting started and general diet boards for some great primers.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

I wonder how everyone lost weigh in the 70s and 80s eating low-fat, high carb diets..

It's about calories, not any particular macro.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

That doesn't matter at all as you are only storing the already ingested energy, not creating new energy (ie being in a "deficit and then gaining weight"). The body both stores and uses energy with every moment of life. If you're storing more energy that means you need to eat less

But if you eat less when the fat cells are panicked like that, they'll start storing even more.

Fat cells don't panic. Your body can't store fat if it needs the energy. That's why you burn more than you consume and you lose weight. It's physics and it works for everyone.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ", blood glucose levels stay in the healthy range.

Once the pancreas produces enough insulin to overcome the resistance what happens to the glucose in your blood stream? Where and how does it get stored?

It gets taken into cells and is used for energy. It does not get STORED (other than the small amount stored as glycogen) unless you are eating calories in excess of what is needed for metabolism/exercise/TEF, etc.

Your muscles can only store roughly 300 grams of carbs at a time. If you are already at that limit, then the rest would get stored as fat, no?

Chances are good if you eat more than 300 grams of carbs (approximately 1200 calories) at one time you will also be eating some other macros and eating more than that at one sitting. Unless you are expending a *kitten* ton of energy there is a good chance some will be converted to fat at least for a short time... not because you ate too many carbs, but because you ate too many calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They can represent me because they've already overturned the rule that they need a license. If they're so skilled that that they can win their own case, why wouldn't I want them arguing mine?
    Okay. Have fun with that again.

This all stemmed from OP going to a nutritionist or a registered dietician. One is licensed the other not. One HAD to get a bachelor's degree and pass testing, the other may not have and testing could have been just 3 hours of study and passing an EASY online test. The LOGICAL move would be to go with the one with actual competence to know how to pass a test that gets them a license.

I'm great at nutrition. I studied it in college. It was just part of my curriculum, but I would ALWAYS defer to a Registered Dietician.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Says who? I eat plenty of products from those companies.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    ", blood glucose levels stay in the healthy range.

Once the pancreas produces enough insulin to overcome the resistance what happens to the glucose in your blood stream? Where and how does it get stored?

It gets taken into cells and is used for energy. It does not get STORED (other than the small amount stored as glycogen) unless you are eating calories in excess of what is needed for metabolism/exercise/TEF, etc.

Your muscles can only store roughly 300 grams of carbs at a time. If you are already at that limit, then the rest would get stored as fat, no?

Chances are good if you eat more than 300 grams of carbs (approximately 1200 calories) at one time you will also be eating some other macros and eating more than that at one sitting. Unless you are expending a *kitten* ton of energy there is a good chance some will be converted to fat at least for a short time... not because you ate too many carbs, but because you ate too many calories.

True, but the storage is going to come primarily from dietary fat intake. The body is going to always go to dietary carbs first for energy and store calories from fat first. Where people get in trouble is intaking too many calories overall from a combination of carbs and fats.

As I understand De novo lipogenesis a person would need to seriously carb load at high levels for days with zero fat intake for the process to begin.
  • amymurray12282
    amymurray12282 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

They can represent me because they've already overturned the rule that they need a license. If they're so skilled that that they can win their own case, why wouldn't I want them arguing mine?
    Okay. Have fun with that again.

This all stemmed from OP going to a nutritionist or a registered dietician. One is licensed the other not. One HAD to get a bachelor's degree and pass testing, the other may not have and testing could have been just 3 hours of study and passing an EASY online test. The LOGICAL move would be to go with the one with actual competence to know how to pass a test that gets them a license.

I'm great at nutrition. I studied it in college. It was just part of my curriculum, but I would ALWAYS defer to a Registered Dietician.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Given "food corporations such as Pepsico, Molson Coors, Tim Hortons, Kellogg’s, General Mills, Campbells and Nestle," many RD events, there is a good reason not to use a registered Dietician.
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/the-nutrition-industry-is-full-of-*kitten*/

I'm not a lawyer, but I can represent myself enough to know that is what they quid pro quo as "a conflict of interest".

Your sentence makes no sense...

quid pro quo
    ˌkwid ˌprō ˈkwō/
    noun
    a favor or advantage granted or expected in return for something.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Says who? I eat plenty of products from those companies.

Well maybe you if you ate food that didn't come from companies, you could be sub-sub 10% body fat. Like 2% or less. You'd be better than skim milk then.

Lol - Nice try, but last dexa was in March and I was 6.4%... I'm probably under 6 right now.

How are your goals going?
  • markdolanmoore
    markdolanmoore Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You people need to relax.