Olympics 2016

Options
2»

Replies

• cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I just wished more of the events that I like were televised. There's not enough boxing or field events shown.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am boycotting the Olympics because the officials, still chose to unnecessarily put athletes/fans in a multitude of extreme dangers; by having it in Rio. With the worst offence, being Zika! They should always have a back up location. Like a previous place, that once held it. I sympathize most with the athletes that made the best choice, to prioritize their health over sport; despite all of their years training for it & therefore I believe that the responsible choice, is for the fans; to stand in solidarity with them instead of those chasing medals because the best way, to cure a disease; is to never knowingly/intentionally risk getting it & spreading it.

Agreed with you in the sense that there are multitude of dangers but saying the worst offender is zika? Behave yourself, it's a disease carried by a living organism, as nasty as it is this can NOT be controlled, similar to malaria etc. More dangerous than this, is the drastic economic turmoil in Brazil, Rio has one of the world highest proportion of financial inequality, then we move onto the violence that occurs day after day, one of the world's largest consumers of crack cocaine, the favellas full of thousands with no hope, extremely poorly funded public service meaning policing and medical care have taken massive hits.

But yeah that naturally occurring disease is what really makes the awarding of the Rio 2016 games truly deplorable.

I adore the olympics, as a spectacle is there a greater sporting event? I have spent the last few weeks watching a whole plethora of sport across multiple platforms, I just wish that in future the Olympic committee will think twice about awarding the games to a nation that is not really ready for such an event.

Team GB doing us all proud.
  • cmDaffy
    cmDaffy Posts: 6,991 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched much... I was gone the first week, and I DID manage to watch Michael Phelps last race, but I have to admit, I don't really care...
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    So far I have escaped the madness - however so many people have asked this question (the "Are you keeping up with the Olympics?") I think the IOC is one of the most corrupt organizations going, and the way the Russians were treated absolutely stinks (ban them!) I feel so sorry for our young athletes as they will never be fully appreciated for their skills as there will always be the stink of cheat around them, even if they are clean as a whistle. And Rio! Dont get me started - what a corrupt investment that was! Bah humbug!!