Replies

• fatoomalrowaiei
    fatoomalrowaiei Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    But i was reading alot of articles on the internet

That was a mistake!!
    But i was reading alot of articles on the internet

That was a mistake!!

My bro told me cardio will make me lose muscles so i went on the internet to read.. :(
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not bad. Cardio CAN BE bad if it's paired with too few calories or just way too much time spent on cardio each day. However, over-training in any facet will eventually become a bad thing. It's all about cross-training and in a healthy supply. If you're doing an hour of cardio, an hour of lifting, and eating 1200 calories a day; this is a recipe for disaster.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    From the skeletal muscle perspective it boils down to which muscle type, fast or slow twitched, you are favoring. Endurance exercises emphasis development of slow twitched muscle where as strength training favorite fast twitched. For strength training one is maximizing contractile protein density while endurance training emphasis on the increase of mitochondria density. (The two training regimes will differ in the pulmonary, cardiovascular, and neurological development.) The two muscular developments tend to crowd each other out (limited space within the muscle cells, energy demand and production, etc). In a nut shell, one gives you bulk and maximal strength, and the other for improved economy.

Three points to remember:
    1. There are identifiable proteins in the muscle that contribute to its ability to produce high force at high rates (strength and power respectively).
    2. There are also identifiable proteins and structural characteristics that confer high fatigue resistance (endurance).
    3. There is no identifiable specific protein or structure that confers the quality "Strength-Endurance". When we train for strength-endurance, what we are really doing is training in a way that fails to stimulate either strength or endurance adaptations optimally. An example of this "best of neither worlds" approach is circuit training.
    Stephen Seiller. "Exercise Physiology - The Methods and Mechanisms Underlying Performance"

With respect to the points, especially number 3, they do not necessary have to limit one's strive in maximizing "best of neither worlds" unless you are striving towards your genetic limits. :smile:
  • kwick65
    kwick65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    YES cardio can take some of your muscle away, BUT, if you use it on doses where you are keeping your heart rate in the fat burning zone and weight training along with eating properly you can minimize it or even negate it.
    I trained for four years for an Iron Man triathlons. During that time I lifted weights lightly but trained about 20 hours a week aerobically. I lost about 25 pounds of fat but also lost approximately 10 pounds of muscle and it has taken me a year to get the muscle back. The one thing I have learned is to keep my protein high and lift hard 3 to 4 times a week to keep muscle on while I train in a low aerobic state
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    So for me i must eat 1600 calories
    But i eat 1000 only not because i want to im just full
    I do cardio workout(youtube video) for an hour
    Or walk for 30min
    Does that mean i have to eat what i have burned?!
    Thank you so much!!!
    And do i have to eat 1600??

How as your 1600 calories calculated? If that's your calorie goal for losing say 2lbs a week at a sedimentary level of exercise, then yes, most definitely you are not eating enough if you're not even getting to the 1600 AND exercising on top of that. You can get away with it for a while if you have lots of fat stores but you'll end up in bad shape over time, sick, injured, muscle loss, etc. Again, it depends on how you calculated your calories, what your stats are (height/weight/age/gender). If you'd like to share that information I'm sure people here will help you figure out a good plan. Are you tracking your calories with an app/device or just entering it manually on MFP?
    Im really sorry to bother you, i just want to do everything right.. Not end up with loose skin or feel fatigue every time i exercise
    Im 20yrs , female, i weigh 79.5kg (175lb) i exercise 4 times a week (im not sure if it is strength or cardio, for ex i do jillian michaels boost fat metabolism for an hour and idk if it is strength or cardio "also youtube videos i do for my arms, legs, chest,butt..etc for an hour too!,next day i do 30min on treadmill , so idk if this is right as in "mixing up" my strength and cardio exercises
    ^^^thats what i am worried about
    As for food each meal i have carb fat and protein but i only get to 1000calorie
    And i am only planning to lose 1-2pound a week
    So I don't know if my exercises are okay ?!!
    But im sure my meals are not!!
    Sorry again and thank you

I'm pretty sure that Jillian Michaels workouts would be classified as cardio. Cardio is stuff you do that has you continuously moving to keep your heart rate higher. Strength training usually involves lifting weights, this could be your own body weight, in a series of movements called repetitions or "reps". Push ups are strength training.

Strength training can also become a cardio workout if you do the movements in such a way as to keep your heart rate high but this type of workout is not as effective for muscle growth over time as lifting progressively heavier barbells and dumbbells is.

no
    body weight exercises are fine for muscle growth depending on your goals. jillian michaels stuff is both. power yoga is both.
    for example, i do aerial yoga and lyra and am getting definition in my upper body. and it's just my body weight. many others who do this sort of work also work primarily with body weight.

there isn't a necessity to pick up weights unless a person chooses to
  • fatoomalrowaiei
    fatoomalrowaiei Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

How as your 1600 calories calculated? If that's your calorie goal for losing say 2lbs a week at a sedimentary level of exercise, then yes, most definitely you are not eating enough if you're not even getting to the 1600 AND exercising on top of that. You can get away with it for a while if you have lots of fat stores but you'll end up in bad shape over time, sick, injured, muscle loss, etc. Again, it depends on how you calculated your calories, what your stats are (height/weight/age/gender). If you'd like to share that information I'm sure people here will help you figure out a good plan. Are you tracking your calories with an app/device or just entering it manually on MFP?
    Im really sorry to bother you, i just want to do everything right.. Not end up with loose skin or feel fatigue every time i exercise
    Im 20yrs , female, i weigh 79.5kg (175lb) i exercise 4 times a week (im not sure if it is strength or cardio, for ex i do jillian michaels boost fat metabolism for an hour and idk if it is strength or cardio "also youtube videos i do for my arms, legs, chest,butt..etc for an hour too!,next day i do 30min on treadmill , so idk if this is right as in "mixing up" my strength and cardio exercises

I'm pretty sure that Jillian Michaels workouts would be classified as cardio. Cardio is stuff you do that has you continuously moving to keep your heart rate higher. Strength training usually involves lifting weights, this could be your own body weight, in a series of movements called repetitions or "reps". Push ups are strength training.

Strength training can also become a cardio workout if you do the movements in such a way as to keep your heart rate high but this type of workout is not as effective for muscle growth over time as lifting progressively heavier barbells and dumbbells is.

no
    body weight exercises are fine for muscle growth depending on your goals. jillian michaels stuff is both. power yoga is both.
    for example, i do aerial yoga and lyra and am getting definition in my upper body. and it's just my body weight. many others who do this sort of work also work primarily with body weight.

mbaker566 wrote: »
    Or walk for 30min
    Thank you so much!!!

no

So jillian is fine right??
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, if her workouts increase your heartrate, she is fine :)