Why Don't Petite Women Do Cardio?

Options

Replies

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    I think there's an overall shift in mentality from cardio to lifting for many, demographics aside. Lifting is a way for many to exercise and not feel like they are dying.

Personally I don't get it because if you're "lifting heavy" it can feel just as rough as a long run, but you don't necessarily have to lift that heavy I guess. I enjoy both, and I learned first hand you're only kidding yourself if you just lift. You can lose weight and look great, but the cardio carryover is grossly exaggerated.

I don't think that's the reason a good amount of people prefer to lift. Lifting creates a much more preferable aesthetic, for me at least. I definitely focus on lifting, with some cardio. It's not because it feels "easier", which it isn't.

Running and cardio in general just burns calories and gives a good work out for your cardiovascular system. However, the major differences I've seen in my body have come from lifting. Which is one of the reasons why I prefer it.

Anyways. For the OP, maybe you're just focusing on petite women's workouts because you're petite yourself? A lot of people just lift and do no cardio regardless of their stature.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Is shorter petite women to you only in the 5'0" to 5'1"foot range? I may be a giant then, still waiting on cardio to make me bulkay either way. I hate to say it but exercise (cardio and lifting weights.. I do both btw) is not for loosing weight..
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I think there's an overall shift in mentality from cardio to lifting for many, demographics aside. Lifting is a way for many to exercise and not feel like they are dying.

Personally I don't get it because if you're "lifting heavy" it can feel just as rough as a long run, but you don't necessarily have to lift that heavy I guess. I enjoy both, and I learned first hand you're only kidding yourself if you just lift. You can lose weight and look great, but the cardio carryover is grossly exaggerated.

I don't think that's the reason a good amount of people prefer to lift. Lifting creates a much more preferable aesthetic, for me at least. I definitely focus on lifting, with some cardio. It's not because it feels "easier", which it isn't.

Running and cardio in general just burns calories and gives a good work out for your cardiovascular system. However, the major differences I've seen in my body have come from lifting. Which is one of the reasons why I prefer it.

Anyways. For the OP, maybe you're just focusing on petite women's workouts because you're petite yourself? A lot of people just lift and do no cardio regardless of their stature.

I don't disagree with better looks, but if you read enough posts people tend to state how much they hate cardio and so they only lift. I prefer lifting myself and I don't blame them for choosing just one, just something I've noticed. They are working out, so who cares in the end. I just fell into the lol no cardio trap before and wasn't pleased with my performance outside the squat rack.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP rather than focusing on assumptions about what others are doing, just make sure that your approach is right for you. You said you've only got 10-15 lbs to lose? That means your calorie deficit in MFP should be set to lose no more than 0.5 lb/week. Are you using a food scale to weigh your food? Logging everything accurately, honestly, and consistently? When you do cardio, are you eating back some of those calories?

As others mentioned, strength training can not only help preserve lean body mass while losing weight, for those at a healthy weight already it can give the body composition they desire often times more than excessive cardio.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I don't disagree with better looks, but if you read enough posts people tend to state how much they hate cardio and so they only lift. I prefer lifting myself and I don't blame them for choosing just one, just something I've noticed. They are working out, so who cares in the end. I just fell into the lol no cardio trap before and wasn't pleased with my performance outside the squat rack.

Oh I agree with that. I feel overall more fit when I do both. I was just saying that a lot of people prefer the visual changes that lifting tends to create.

With people who say they hate cardio, it's akin to others saying they hate lifting, football, basketball, rowing, etc. It's just not something they enjoy. Not necessarily that they think it's "too hard". It's just boring or not enjoyable. And why force yourself to focus on cardio, or any other physical activity, that you don't enjoy when there are others that you do enjoy. It's less likely that someone sticks with something they don't enjoy versus something they do.

I do think cardio is boring. That's just me. The combo of boredom and lack of physical change from cardio is why I focus on lifting. That's all. To each their own! :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, well my gym is full of petite women who focus on Zumba. And man do Zumba people get offended if someone is in their "spot" in the studios.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Zumba is fun! Lol- Funny about the territorial feisty ladies.

Do you see good results with cycling? I've heard rumors that cycling is good for getting smaller. I tend to bulk up and want to avoid that. I'd rather get elongation and the Pilates type feminine body. I take after my dad, I'm afraid to say.
    @DebSozo
    "Cycling is good for getting smaller?"
    Cycling encompasses a huge range of distance, speed, terrain and goals. Compare the physique of a sprint cyclist to an endurance cyclist and they are very different.
    And there will be cyclists losing, gaining or maintaining weight based on their diet and preferences.

It is a good calorie burner based on intensity or duration of course, far easier to cycle for 3 hours than run for 3 hours.....

Advanced cyclists do, as a generalisation, tend to want to stay light to maximise their power to weight ratio for performance but that's far from universal. I saw quite a chubby guy participating in a 24hr race, he wasn't going to win it though.

BTW - I'm currently cycling 600 miles a month and getting bigger. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Ok, so I am very short at only 5'0 and a half. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. Whenever I come across other shorter women some swear they only strength train and do not do any cardio. I know this is not for everyone, I know many definitely do cardio including myself.

My question is: What is their reasoning? Will cardio lead to weight gain because of building muscle? Basically, should I rethink doing cardio to lose weight?

Maybe it is an odd question, but many petite women I've seen begin to make me rethink my ideas of how I would like to shed off pounds. I know I can't lose all the weight and maintain the weight lost only by dropping my calories. Without cardio, I don't see how only strength training can lead to weight loss.

Because the exercise preferences of petite women vary, just as they do for average and tall women and men of all heights. How did you leap from some petite women lift to petite women don't do cardio ?

This. Simple.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Weird. I don't talk about exercise habits with other people all that much. But that seems off.
    I'm not particularly petite (5'5", CW 137 lbs) but have found that a few hours of cardio a week accelerates my weight loss. I think this is because it is tough for me to generate a big deficit being sedentary because my BMR isn't that high, and I can't eat much less than 1400-1500 calories and still be a happy person. I would suspect that this effect is even more noticeable for the 5'0" people.

I also lift 3 times a week, but don't really factor that into my calorie counts.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    4'9 here. I don't do much of either because I'm a lazy *kitten*. :D Apart from a hike every now and again.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, well my gym is full of petite women who focus on Zumba. And man do Zumba people get offended if someone is in their "spot" in the studios.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Zumba is fun! Lol- Funny about the territorial feisty ladies.

Do you see good results with cycling? I've heard rumors that cycling is good for getting smaller. I tend to bulk up and want to avoid that. I'd rather get elongation and the Pilates type feminine body. I take after my dad, I'm afraid to say.

you can't change genetics sadly... calorie deficit to lose weight.
    Right. I have to stick with "sturdy" and make the best of getting as small as I reasonably can.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think you are making a large jump from 'some petite women prefer no cardio' to petite women maybe shouldn't do cardio. Some non-petite women prefer no cardio. Those women probably just don't enjoy cardio. I know I sure as heck don't. I do it anyway because it is good for my cardiovascular health....but I don't like it. And just doing cardio alone does nothing for my body composition and makes me hungry as heck. I gained all my weight doing just cardio alone.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and I'm not comfortable with the stress that cardio puts on my lungs. So I do lifting, which, while not easy, doesn't make me huff and puff for and hour afterwards.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My aunt is 5'2" and... I don't know if she lifts or not, but I know that she and my mother (5'7" and definitely not petite) walk (briskly, 3.5-4 mph, maybe more) around 7 miles a day. I'm just at the tallest end of what's typically called petite (5'4") and all I do right now is cardio.

I don't understand this "I hate cardio" mindset. There are so many different cardiovascular exercises - walking, running, swimming, cycling, dancing... - Do you really hate all of it? I'm still trying to find a kind of strength training that I enjoy, but I'm not ready to say that I hate lifting. I haven't explored all my options enough to know that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Some people lift. Some people strength train in other ways. Some people do cardio. Some people do a mix of all. Some people are petite. Some people aren't.

No-one is building any appreciable muscle doing cardio or lifting in a deficit.

I strength train and do cardio. Calories, overall fitness and aesthetics are my reasons.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of preference. I probably don't classify as petite at 5' 5.5", but there are people of all shapes and sizes in the cardio classes I take, including petite women. I'm like @middlehaitch, too, in that I get bored easily with things, so I've been all over the map. I wouldn't see why petite people don't benefit from cardio anymore than anyone else. My view of exercise is, do what you love/enjoy/fits your health goals, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks you "should" be doing.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11. I do strength training using stronglifts and cardio using Krav Maga. I train 6 days a week to the upper end of my abilities.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am very short at only 5'0 and a half. I have about 10-15 pounds to lose. Whenever I come across other shorter women some swear they only strength train and do not do any cardio. I know this is not for everyone, I know many definitely do cardio including myself.

My question is: What is their reasoning? Will cardio lead to weight gain because of building muscle? Basically, should I rethink doing cardio to lose weight?

Maybe it is an odd question, but many petite women I've seen begin to make me rethink my ideas of how I would like to shed off pounds. I know I can't lose all the weight and maintain the weight lost only by dropping my calories. Without cardio, I don't see how only strength training can lead to weight loss.

Have you asked any of these ladies why they don't do cardio? I know a lot of short people who do cardio and weight lifting, or just cardio.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    plenty of shorties do cardio so i cannot answer your question
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    5'1 here, and I do cardio and strength training. Sometimes at the same time. I do pole, which is strength combined with elements of cardio. And aerial arts which is a lot of strength, but the warm-ups include cardio. I will throw in cardio dvds here and there. It all comes down to a person's goals. I will do cardio dvds when I need to bank calories.

This weekend, I need to bank calories b/c I'm going on a road trip and road trip eating is not all that great. But generally, I'll pick doing a pole class or aerial class over jogging or walking on a treadmill b/c it's getting me to my goals of being able to complete a certain move or routine.

I wish I could get into weight lifting, but I know it would give me the stomach I want sooner. But I'd much rather be on the trapeze bar or spinning around the pole than lifting free weights. To me it's fun. And enjoying your workout is the surest way that you'll stick with it.
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a petite woman and while I think there's a place for cardio in any exercise routine, I definitely prefer to strength train. If I worked out 5 days a week, 1 of those days will be a cardio day, the rest a strength training routine.

Then only reason I do cardio at all is to train my heart. Generally speaking though, it's not about being petite that makes me want to lift...

It's just because I feel like I burn more calories and develop muscle using weights; if I do cardio I only burn calories...