Exercise for someone that doesn't like exercise?

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
I would like to exercise alittle more. Get alittle stronger. Nothing fancy. But I don't like exercising and find it painfully boring.
  • I do like walking and biking.
  • I don't have much money and would not join a gym, maybe a fitness class.
  • I have alot of trouble running because of my knee and some lung issues.
  • I do not currently have a bike.
  • When the weather is bad, what can I do indoors?
  • I also do not have access to a pool or place to swim.

Look, I know I'm negative about exercising, but I would like to get in better shape. I will lose weight logging my calories so that's not why I am doing it. I'm mostly interested in being healthy. Any suggestions?

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Just do what you like. If you force yourself to do something you don't like, you won't be able to stick with it for the long haul. But, don't be closed to trying new things. You never know what you'll discover that you like. For health, just start moving. You said you like walking, so walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    You like walking and biking...congratulations...you like exercise. Go get a bike.

When the weather is bad, sometimes I just take a day off...sometimes I use my bike trainer inside.
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love dancing personally...maybe a few you tube searches to get inspired?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Swim.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    See if your town has any trails you can walk/hike and maybe do some bodyweight exercises for resistance training
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Save up money to get a bike. You can beat boredom by switching out the exercise that you do. There is no law that the exercise conundrum for you week to week has to be doing the same exercising.

You have to find something you enjoy or you will find this as a dreadful time of your day/week. Because there is negative connotations it makes it difficult to express that the sky is the limit when it comes to moving your body around to be active or exercise it.

I guess I can add, look up workout videos, body weight training, or just find a active hobby, include doing something active with your family or friends each week that you enjoy.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    [*] I do like walking and biking.
    [*] I do not currently have a bike.

Any suggestions?

Buy a used bike. Craigslist can be a good place to shop. If you have cyclist friends in the offline world they'll be glad to help, if not, people here will do our best.

Then enjoy it!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Walking style videos are great for super hot summer days, and snowy winter ones. These are great if you don't like choreography or dancing. Low impact, but you can sub in some higher impact moves to bump up the intensity.

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia
  • a45cal
    a45cal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used to think that I hated exercising, but then I discovered that all the things I hated doing fell under the heading of cardio. Once I tried strength training, I found I really enjoyed it and the fact that I was noticeably getting stronger kept me motivated to keep coming back to it.

So at the very least for rainy days where you can't go out, I'd say do bodyweight strength exercises at home. All you need is a body and a little floor space. And the results you can get from just lifting your own weight might surprise you.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you don't like exercising than don't exercise. Problem solved.

If you like walking, than walk. If you like riding a bike, than get a bike. You can use YouTube videos and exercise at home for free if you want, too. You don't need money, just desire. If you don't have the desire, then wait until you do and then go for it. Exercise shouldn't be a chore, it should be enjoyable because it helps you reach your fitness goals or how you want to look, and you get a rush because every time you do it you are that much closer to your goals!

Some people just aren't exercisers. Or maybe you just haven't found your calling yet. But either way, if you are only half-hearted about doing it, you'll get half-hearted results. Maybe look for a class you can take with a friend? Learn something new? Make it a fun adventure or something? Just some thoughts...
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I love walking for exercise -- once you walk somewhere, you have to walk back. You can't get off the way you can with a treadmill.

That said, it is too hot and humid here to walk outside for long, so I joined the local YWCA. I can't afford it either, but my health is really important, so I paid and am getting huge benefit from the fitness equipment (in 3 weeks, I lowered my high blood pressure from 150/something to 118/80, which is normal). You can also pay by the day, the week, and the month.

If you are looking for a bike at a bargain price, check out Freecycle https://www.freecycle.org/ They are around the world.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I learned to love exercises I once detested after they produced great results.
    Sometimes in life we just need to change.

OUCH!
    <3
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    No one really likes routine exercise... It's a means to get results (better, faster, stronger). Listen to the other suggestions... Get out there and move. You may not enjoy the activity at first, but you'll like the results!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Buy a used bike. Find interesting hiking/biking trails in your area. Walk around your neighborhood. If you have a YMCA near you contact them and see how much a membership would be. My local Y does pricing based on income. They have an indoor pool so I can swim year round and in the summer they have water classes outside in their water park.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Walk. When it is raining carry an umbrella.
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Get an indoor bike. That way you don't have to go outside if it's raining.

Problem solved.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    I would like to exercise alittle more. Get alittle stronger. Nothing fancy. But I don't like exercising and find it painfully boring.
    • I do like walking and biking.
    • I don't have much money and would not join a gym, maybe a fitness class.
    • I have alot of trouble running because of my knee and some lung issues.
    • I do not currently have a bike.
    • When the weather is bad, what can I do indoors?
    • I also do not have access to a pool or place to swim.

Look, I know I'm negative about exercising, but I would like to get in better shape. I will lose weight logging my calories so that's not why I am doing it. I'm mostly interested in being healthy. Any suggestions?

Walking is good exercise but if you walk outside, make alternate arrangements for inclement weather, maybe buy some cheap weights and find some videos to emulate or maybe aerobics videos. Fitness blender has some great videos covering just about everything including stretching. The video lengths are variable too from 10 minutes to 90 minutes.

Just FYI, I'm not trying to sell you on joining a gym but the monthly fee for a gym can be much less expensive than joining a fitness class. I pay $99/year for a gym membership (this includes fitness classes and it's not PF) but would pay $50/month for classes alone somewhere else.

https://www.fitnessblender.com/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, walk. That's easy. Look into getting a used/inexpensive bike. If not (or for cold weather), look into indoor biking options. I think the stationary bike is boring (but it might work for you), but enjoy spinning and especially doing bike trainer based classes and videos, which is how I keep biking in the winter. Check out fitness classes in your area -- we have tons of different options (even one based on medieval/renaissance weaponry and fighting), but I don't know what is around you or what might be interesting. If interested in yoga, maybe check out a yoga studio -- most will have introductory offers and you can get good deals on all kinds of fitness classes through groupon.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "I would like to exercise alittle more. Get alittle stronger. Nothing fancy. But I don't like exercising and find it painfully boring."

Sometimes we just gotta do what we just gotta do whether we like it or not. Pick the least objectionable activity and either learn to like it, or learn to put up with it. Or get by without exercising.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    No one really likes routine exercise... It's a means to get results (better, faster, stronger). Listen to the other suggestions... Get out there and move. You may not enjoy the activity at first, but you'll like the results!

Myself and the regulars I see lifting, on the treadmill, in classes, etc at my gym would indicate, yes there are people who like regular exercise.