Running when it's dark

Options
2»

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally. I cant wear a headlamp....its like running with a strobe light attached to your head...instant headache.

I wear reflective clothing and try to stick to well lit streets. Sometimes I run l around the local mall.....its very well lit.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, headlight, reflective clothing, my phone armband has some reflective surfaces, and my water bottle has reflective material on the hand-strap (Nathan brand).
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I run before sunrise, yes. No headlamp, no. I wear light colored shirts, stay on the sidewalk whenever possible, and on bigger(ish) well lit streets. There's a surprising amount of traffic at 05:30. I usually don't wear headphones because it cuts me off too much, I feel more aware when I can hear what's around me.

No real problems. Got followed by a super cute pit bull mix puppy last week, he had escaped his yard and was running so fast back and forth to me, it was a little scary when he was coming toward me but he was just so endearing. Finally sent him home with a "devuelva!!" when he didn't respond to "go home!" And there is a person living under the bridge this week. And if I am the first one out sometimes I run through spiderwebs....But no actual trouble so far, been running in the 'hood for four years now.
  • dahliacats
    dahliacats Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This isn't a direct answer to the above question, but since two runners were hit by cars in my area just in the last day, I do want to remind everyone who runs or walks on roads without sidewalks, to FACE ONCOMING TRAFFIC. That means always walk/run on the LEFT side of the road with the traffic coming at you. This is the law in many states and strongly recommended everywhere else. That way, if a car is coming at you, you will know it and can get out of the way. While light colored clothing, reflective tape and lights are helpful, and necessary, for safety, they still are no guarantee that drivers will notice or see you. Be extra cautious when going up hills and around curves, as it is very hard for cars to react fast enough to avoid you. Good luck with your weight and exercise journeys and be safe out there!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    dahliacats wrote: »
    This is the law in many states and strongly recommended everywhere else.

It always amuses me that in the so-called land of the free there are laws about so many things like this. It's almost as one can outlaw stupidity.

I'm a big fan of darwin awards ;)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

It always amuses me that in the so-called land of the free there are laws about so many things like this. It's almost as one can outlaw stupidity.

Traffic regulations aren't overregulation. If you want to be on the road with everyone else, it's good to have rules.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

Amusing thread with people arguing about running in the road: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/general-running/road-running/202080.html

I always forget how many places don't have sidewalks. Here I never run in the road, but where I grew up I suppose we did. Not much traffic on those roads, though.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    As someone who drives at night, please wear light colors and reflective clothing. I don't want to injure anyone, and seriously appreciate runners and bikers who take extra steps to make themselves visible! I try to wear light/neon colors when I run in the early morning before the sun is up, and also avoid running through intersections until I'm certain I'm visible and not obscured by parked cars, shrubbery, trees, etc.

(I can see not wanting a headlamp too, but maybe a hat, visor, or reflective headband?)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Traffic regulations aren't overregulation. If you want to be on the road with everyone else, it's good to have rules.

Legislating around which side of the road one should walk on is over regulation, it reduces scope for the individual to risk assess the environment and react accordingly.

I can think of a number of situations where having that reduction in flexibility becomes more dangeerous.

I'd also note that the Highway Code is guidance, not legislation.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited August 2016
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    As someone who drives at night, please wear light colors and reflective clothing. I don't want to injure anyone, and seriously appreciate runners and bikers who take extra steps to make themselves visible

As someone who's been hit by a cage dweller whilst wearing hi viz, head torch, body lamps and facing the correct direction, I have a lot of sympathy for those who see that as a complete waste of time.

Notwithstanding that I do agree that one should do as much as possible to minimise the risk.