Abs?

Options
I am 139 pounds
5'6 Female
23 BMI
How do I get abs and how much do I need to lift ?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat percentage
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

This. Calorie deficit plus heavy lifting/enough protein.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Lower body fat percentage and develop decent musculature. Has nothing to do with lifting a certain weight
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

And good body composition.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    They dont pop out quickly either. Mine have been slowly peeking out for a few weeks. Its like the fat on my torso is slowly sliding down and off my body. Top two look really good. Middle two are about half way there.. Few more weeks!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Hard to achieve for men, even harder for women. Lower BF may not help either.

Genetics have a lot to do w/it. FWIW, I've got a GREAT 4-pack at about 20% BF but still have fat stored in my lower abs that hide the rest even when I was at 15% BF. Abs/core are strong and all the crunches/sit-ups in the world will not make them any stronger.

Working on a recomp that I "hope" will help but, in the end, lipo may be the only solution and I'm not vain enough to go that route. Any pair of shorts/pants will hide the lower abs and shirtless people will think that I've got a real 6-pack. LOL!!!
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What everyone said ^^ you have to lower your body fat % enough to be able to see them basically. Which usually means clean eating to lower your fat % (which is mostly where that phrase "abs are made in the kitchen" comes from) and then toning up so that you have muscles to show.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    What everyone said ^^ you have to lower your body fat % enough to be able to see them basically. Which usually means clean eating to lower your fat % (which is mostly where that phrase "abs are made in the kitchen" comes from) and then toning up so that you have muscles to show.

*cues "define clean eating" comments*
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

*cues "define clean eating" comments*

You know washing the fruits and Veggies Clean eating... lol
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Um just wanted to comment that I'm the same height AND weight as you. Which I don't see often! Twin! Also wanting abs.. but that will likely have to wait. Will work on hamstrings and glutes for now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

The phrase stems from the fact that training your abs wont give you abs and you need a calorie deficit to reduce body fat to a low enough level to reveal abs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    "clean eating"? no wonder my 2 upper abs are all i can still see.
  • fitgamercatlady
    fitgamercatlady Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wait, what's wrong with the phrase "clean eating?" I'm a healthy diet noob and I don't know exactly what "clean eating" is exactly, but I thought it was when you eat unprocessed fresh food. Can someone explain what it actually is and why it's so terrible?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Wait, what's wrong with the phrase "clean eating?" I'm a healthy diet noob and I don't know exactly what "clean eating" is exactly, but I thought it was when you eat unprocessed fresh food. Can someone explain what it actually is and why it's so terrible?

No junk food, all WHOLE GRAIN NON GMO GRASS FED ORGANICALLY NON PASTEURIZED REAL FOOD. NONE OF THEM CHEMTRAILS.

It's made fun of because it doesn't really matter, although if you want constantly visible abs your margin for "non-wholesome" foods is much smaller assuming you have other fitness goals in mind.
  • Rlha2017
    Rlha2017 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Starve yourself or do meth. If you get skinny enough all people have abs. Starving kids in Africa have abs
  • Rlha2017
    Rlha2017 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That was a joke. Btw
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Rlha2017 wrote: »
    Starve yourself or do meth. If you get skinny enough all people have abs. Starving kids in Africa have abs

#bodygoals
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Ask a vegan what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a paleo dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask a keto dieter what "clean eating" is.
    Ask an IIFYM'er what "clean eating" is.

See if any of the answers match up.

"Clean eating" (by whatever definition), in and of itself, has nothing to do with reducing body fat or losing weight. Dietary fat does not equal body fat, and fat is an essential nutrient for many biological processes. To reduce body fat/lose weight, one must eat in a caloric deficit - preferably with adequate protein intake to assist in preserving lean body mass.