IS IT BAD TO EAT CALORIES YOU'VE GAINED FROM EXERCISING?

2y2k
2y2k Posts: 41 Member
Hello! (: I've just started my weight loss journey and I burn between 800-1,000 calories a day. I try to stay under my calorie goal but I was wondering if it's bad to eat calories you've gained from exercising? Like the net?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
  • 2y2k
    Thanks! I figured it had already been discussed. I just didn't know where to find it, haha.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    I eat about half of my exercise calories back. No matter how much you accurately measure and log food there will be discrepancies. If my food log is off by 100 calories I use my exercise calories to adjust the number. Also, logging exercise calories are not always accurate. For instance, if I run an hour and use a heart rate monitor it might calculate my burn at 450 calories. MFP would calculate the same exercise burn at 525 calories. If you use the calorie burn from an exercise machine many are overstated and inaccurate.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Unless you are very short (under 5') you should be eating more that 800-1000 calories a day. The calorie goal Myfitnesspal gives you has a deficit for losing weight in it already. It is a goal to reach not a ceiling to stay far under. It is for that reason you are supposed to eat your exercise calories since they are not included in the calorie goal given to you.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Visage999 wrote: »
    Hello! (: I've just started my weight loss journey and I burn between 800-1,000 calories a day. I try to stay under my calorie goal but I was wondering if it's bad to eat calories you've gained from exercising? Like the net?
    If all your calorie numbers are close, then yes, it's usually OK.
    The problem with metabolism and calorie estimates usually come through faulty logging or crazy thyroid hormones that make calorie burn fluctuate.
    Women have it especially bad, so just take progress slowly and adjust your routines based on your results.

Good Luck!
  • 2y2k
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    Visage999 wrote: »
    If all your calorie numbers are close, then yes, it's usually OK.
    The problem with metabolism and calorie estimates usually come through faulty logging or crazy thyroid hormones that make calorie burn fluctuate.
    Women have it especially bad, so just take progress slowly and adjust your routines based on your results.

Good Luck!

Thanks! I'll definitely do that!
  • 2y2k
    cricket490 wrote: »
    I eat about half of my exercise calories back. No matter how much you accurately measure and log food there will be discrepancies. If my food log is off by 100 calories I use my exercise calories to adjust the number. Also, logging exercise calories are not always accurate. For instance, if I run an hour and use a heart rate monitor it might calculate my burn at 450 calories. MFP would calculate the same exercise burn at 525 calories. If you use the calorie burn from an exercise machine many are overstated and inaccurate.

Because I'm HUGE I'm losing more calories right now than a "normal"/healthy person would. I've definitely delved into it and based the calories on my WEIGHT and how long I am exercising/what form of exercise.