No Meat for Week

okay, I am thinking of trying something for a week, no meat. Do anyone have any pointers? I like trying different things to see how my body will react.Thanks in advance. o:)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I go without meat throughout the week sometime. I eat lots of fish.

Not sure if fish is considered meat to you though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    If you get in all you need, and you've already been eating all you need, or if you are deficient, and still will be deficient, your body won't react any differently. You may miss meat though. Or maybe you won't.

I suggest getting in a wide variety and combos of grains and pulses, oils, nuts and seeds, fruit and vegetables, and dairy, fish, seafood, eggs if you are going to eat that.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I eat alot of beans, lentils and other legumes. Best source of protein (non-meat). Check out Seitan and yes it is possible to eat tofu that tastes good. Here's the thing, make sure to get enough protein but don't focus on it. Focus on vegetables, fruits and whole grains. That's a good way to eat even if you do eat meat.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    I would suggust not making a big deal out of it- don't go buying tofu/tempeh/whatever as subsitutes. Eat what you always eat, just.... Without the meat. Don't try to focus on fruits/veggies and throw yourself off- you won't know if you feel difference because of that or because of no meat
  • traceyidundun
    traceyidundun Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hummus or Peas soup is amazing and packed with protein.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Make sure to plan it out. Without a plan I tend to go way too high on carbs and too low on protein when I go meat free. Eggs are one of my big protein sources - big omelets filled with lots of veggies are very filling.
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Make sure to plan it out. Without a plan I tend to go way too high on carbs and too low on protein when I go meat free. Eggs are one of my big protein sources - big omelets filled with lots of veggies are very filling.

right I am planning as we speak, I am using the info that I am reading and the useful information that you guys are sharing with me. Thanks for your feedback ;)
  • ktilton70130
    ktilton70130 Posts: 211 Member
    If you get in all you need, and you've already been eating all you need, or if you are deficient, and still will be deficient, your body won't react any differently. You may miss meat though. Or maybe you won't.

I suggest getting in a wide variety and combos of grains and pulses, oils, nuts and seeds, fruit and vegetables, and dairy, fish, seafood, eggs if you are going to eat that.

I stay in a deficit I make sure of that. I measure and count everything I put in my mouth. No liquid calories only water and herbal tea. I just wanted to try something different due to the fact that I am losing a lb a week and I want to know if perhaps I will drop more without consuming meat. I see many vegans that lose a substantial amount of weight in a short period of time so I figured I will try it out. If it works for one week I will try it again.

I like trying new things just to see what works for me. I began in Feb '16 and I have lost 40lbs. I feel perhaps I could have done better.

Thank you for your feedback appreciate it. ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016

I stay in a deficit I make sure of that. I measure and count everything I put in my mouth. No liquid calories only water and herbal tea. I just wanted to try something different due to the fact that I am losing a lb a week and I want to know if perhaps I will drop more without consuming meat. I see many vegans that lose a substantial amount of weight in a short period of time so I figured I will try it out. If it works for one week I will try it again.

I like trying new things just to see what works for me. I began in Feb '16 and I have lost 40lbs. I feel perhaps I could have done better.

I meant "deficient in any nutrient(s)" - you shouldn't really be able to notice a healthy calorie deficit.

You won't lose more - or less - because of what you eat. A larger calorie deficit will make you lose faster, but you can't sustain a too large calorie deficit for very long, and there is a limit to how much fat you can lose per day. The best approach is something you can stick to, consistently. A healthy weight loss rate is up to 1% of your body weight per week. So the amount you lose per week, will be less and less as you get lighter. I don't know what you started out with, but 40 pounds in that short timeframe is a great achievement.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    okay, I am thinking of trying something for a week, no meat. Do anyone have any pointers? I like trying different things to see how my body will react.Thanks in advance. o:)

Make sure you know how to get protein. Legumes are a great source.

I go meatless for a period of time on occasion (typically during Lent). I find it worthwhile.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Tofu, Seitan, beans, protein bars are what I sub for meat. There are also a lot of soy meat products out there Gardin makes a few meatless meats you may want to try.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    A week isn't really long enough to tell anything. but just avoid soy i guess.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member

What plant does fish come from?
  • littlechiaseed
    Lizarking wrote: »

No need to avoid soy unless you're allergic
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member

What plant does fish come from?

To be fair, there are plenty of people who don't consider fish a "meat," even though it is the flesh of an animal. When you go to weddings or catered events, people often ask if you want meat or fish. My "vegetarian" wife gets her protein from dairy, legumes, eggs and fish; by most people's definitions, that's not vegetarian. However, we don't truly sweat it, because most "vegetarians" we meet indulge in the occasional (four times a month) cheeseburger. We could say my wife doesn't eat red meat, but that wouldn't include poultry; we could say she's an ovapescatarian, but we don't truly enjoy being that kind of obnoxious; we could debate this stuff all day long, but at the end of the day, are you helping the OP or picking fights over semantics?

OP, what is your goal here? To find foods that taste or feel meaty, so you won't miss the meat, or to find alternate ways of getting protein without meat?

1. If you want to replace the taste / texture: mushrooms, rice, beans, olives, lentils, things seasoned with salty / savory things like soy sauce or worcestershire. We'll sometimes marinate tofu in equal parts soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil (maybe some sesame seeds and red pepper flakes for good measure).

2. If you want alternate protein: dairy (especially cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, IMO), rice, quinoa, beans, chia seeds, lentils, TONS OF EGGS AND SEAFOOD (unless this violates your definition of meat), nuts
  • littlechiaseed

Well if you cut out meat the idea is that you replace that with another food like something else with protein like tofu, seitan, beans, ect. Meat in itself does not have a lot of calories unless you are eating alot of it that's fried, breaded, ect and cutting back on fruits and veggies. When I did eat meat, it was either pepperoni or fried chicken strips. That was the only way I could palette it, which of course, was not healthy or beneficial to my health at all. So now I eat much healthier as a vegetarian, though that was not my reasoning to be vegetarian. It just works best for me, I feel better mind, body and spirit.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited August 2016
    Lizarking wrote: »

No need to avoid soy unless you're allergic

or don't want cancer/phytoestrogens
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Nope. Not gonna do it. I can make maybe a day. But a week? Nope :D