Wasted Money

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    This just makes me want to get a bike and hit a mountain (though I would die so maybe should lower my ambitions....)

But yeah, total waste of money becoming an elite level gymnast as a kid, total waste of money doing something I loved every day by spending inheritance on going to dance school in my early 20s and a total waste of money feeling strong, healthy and accomplished (physically anyway) by investing in good running shoes, good training shoes and adjustable dumbbells. Oh and a stepper!

I have agoraphobia, of course to fluctuating levels, how do you propose I walk and/or achieve other fitness goals with just walking when I can go weeks without leaving my flat?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    @NorthCascades, you climbed that on flat pedals? good night. Straight up #BeastMode turned on for that climb.

Yeah, but only because it was a rental bike.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/914030386
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades, you climbed that on flat pedals? good night. Straight up #BeastMode turned on for that climb.

You sir are awesome. That's awful impressive if i can say so.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options

The world needs more people walking naked!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I thought I lived in a Hilly area.... that's straight up crazy....

These are two of latest rides in 3D form.....

exs2ufqcfazx.png
    jxdo0o8gl4it.png
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights in beneficial to many, and some cannot afford weights, barbells, squat racks and benches. So, gym is a great option for most.

I do walk, cycle, kickbox and jog, but I love lifting... thankfully I managed to pick up all my equipment for free. Even if I did go to the gym, it would definitely not be a waste.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

You sir are awesome. That's awful impressive if i can say so.

Thanks! :smile:
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The whole point is that a great percentage of the population spend more money maintaining their car than their body.

I see this all the time. People come into my office needing dental work (some quite badly) and insist they can't afford it. Yet they tell me about the vacation they just took, have manicured nails and hair done up, cell phones and designer purses, nice car parked outside. It all comes down to what people put value on and what they don't. Most here value their health very much and are willing to invest money and time in it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Walking is free. The rest is a waste of time & money.

Sorry, but I don't consider my cycling to be a waste of time and money. :)

I've been cycling since I was a child and more seriously for 26 years. I enjoy cycling, and my cycling has taken me all over the world. As a result of that, I met the man (another cyclist) who became my husband a few years later.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Walking is free. The rest is a waste of time & money.
    Well, if all you desire is mere weight loss, then you're correct.
    You can shrivel up and weigh less.
    Some of us desire more like peak physical fitness, strength and formidability. Nobody reaches fitness potential just walking.

Also, what I spend on health and fitness is considered an investment.
    Investments make money.
    If money is advanced toward gym memberships, nutritious whole foods or certain items of equipment or clothing, what is the return on that investment?
    I weigh money spent against money saved as well as money earned by being more productive.
    I save money on medical bills...and as a healthy, physically fit man, I am much more energetic, hardworking and enterprising in my profession.
    From this perspective, money invested in health and fitness is a huge win, and that too is what you miss.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain, OP, that I'm smelling what you're stepping in and that your post has simply gone far over the heads of 99.99% of those replying. I may be wrong. My First reaction was that the money Ive spent on my fitness is absolutely not a waste. But as I read through the replies I realized you played the role of being the devils advocate and that the responses you're getting are actually proving your point, which is actually the opposite of what your post says. That there is great value in spending money on your own health and fitness. Hence the analogy to spending money on your car and not your body, it's an absurd premise when true. I hope I've cracked your code. If not, then yeah your post really is as nutty as everyone else has already outlined.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Your right op, great post
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good point OP. For me, it depends on the city and neighborhood that I am walking.
    Walking down the street minding my own business and then somebody has to go and put a pizza joint right there in front of me and I can see the dough being thrown up and down from outside looking in the window. What am I gonna do?
    Or the aroma of freshly brewed coffee at 6 am is pretty hard to pass up in a strange city you got to admit.
    Not to mention the slew of awesome microbreweries that are popping up everywhere.
    Walking saves on transportation costs big time when downtown in unknown cities, but has a huge potential of getting me in all kinds of trouble lol.