Wasted Money

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Since you've only been here a few weeks, stick around.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Walking is free. The rest is a waste of time & money.

So you go out naked? You need money to buy clothing, and a minimum.

If you drive to your walking trail you need to buy a car, buy fuel, buy insurance, buy maintenance. Then sometimes buy a permit to your park/trail.

If you track your walks via a GPS enabled device you need a GPS tracker which cost money. Or if you use your phone you need a Cell Phone, and a plan, and possibly headphones to listen to music.

I don't care what your passion is when it comes to losing weight. But nothing is free, sir. Nothing.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I suggest you take a course in economics and learn what the term "opportunity cost" means.

Hint: not a waste of time or money.

Well, it's obvious that your purpose in life is to argue and disagree with most everything. So much for starting a spirited conversation. I'll leave you alone.

They aren't the ones that came on a fitness board and told people they were wasting money by doing anything other than walking...

If you are just talking about walking as transportation, that's different. And I prefer a bike.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That would very much depend on what your goals and training objectives are. I'm a cyclist, so walking isn't going to do much for me...though it is a nice low impact activity. Also, it's not really free...the act itself is free...just as the act of riding itself is free...but you still need gear.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a spirited thread requires some disagreement in opinions...otherwise it would just be a bunch of people patting each others' backs...where's the fun in that?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

Some things are worth paying for.

27467049136_04696054f5_o_d.jpg

That view would be worth paying for!! Gorgeous!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The whole point is that a great percentage of the population spend more money maintaining their car than their body.

I'm not sure I follow...
  • 71lmf
    71lmf Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I walk - daily (that won't change)
    But I'm about to "waste" my money on a gym membership - I want to lift! :smile:
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The whole point is that a great percentage of the population spend more money maintaining their car than their body.

I'm not sure I follow...

Me either. This statement by the OP contradicts his original post. So, what's a "waste of money" - servicing your car or spending money on health and fitness? I say neither, personally.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Some things are worth paying for.

27467049136_04696054f5_o_d.jpg

That view would be worth paying for!! Gorgeous!

Thanks! I paid $2K for a road bike that could handle dirt roads, this was one of the two roads I was most interested in having it for. It was also the hardest ride I've ever done in my life, it took me an hour and a half to get back down the mountain. I saw two bears, got heat stroke at the top, and took a nap in a snow bank. Strava says it was the first ascent of Cascade River Road on a bike. This was one of the more fun things I've done this year, was more fulfilling than I could ever find the words for, I'm proud of myself for having done it, and even if walking is free, the experience was worth the money to me. (Plus, I still had the bike the next day.)
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    I agree with @NorthCascades, Sometimes it's worth the money....

6v8c9btqfvr3.jpg
    kme42adzkv8b.jpg
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Is this walking in reference to fitness, or in reference to how much we spend on our cars when, you're saying, it would be more economical to walk?

I'm confused.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I think the "rest" is a waste but I do think getting outside and going for a walk or hike in nature is not only good for the body but good for the mind.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    @NorthCascades, you climbed that on flat pedals? good night. Straight up #BeastMode turned on for that climb.