Do you ever wonder why you're never satisfied?

Options
brizzlar
brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
edited August 2016 in Chit-Chat
We're all wired for joy and happiness. Every person on the planet is seeking to be happy. Even the suicidal person wants it, but just believes it will be found in death.

The question then is how do we find it? Will you find it once you get married? Once you get the guy/girl you've been pursuing? Will it be in that house? That job? That car? That income? That child? That physique? That suburb?

The reality is that you will probably get that thing that you're chasing and end up feeling high and dry.

Why? Because all those things are like the shadow of the actual source of joy.

A man once said "I am the bread of life, whoever comes to me will hunger no more, whoever comes to me will thirst no More" (own paraphrase).

Let me encourage you to look that quote up and see if that man perhaps is the one your heart has always longed for but never been able to find.

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Being materialistic is definitely a way to never be happy. Hobbies, social interaction, and good close relationships are how you'll be happy, in addition to taking good care of yourself of course. For many people, spirituality is also a component.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    @Whitezombiegirl

Thanks for your comment.

I understand your rejection of mythology, but how did you come to conclude that Jesus comes under that category?
  • brizzlar
    Options
    @Chrisjuvers

Out of curiosity, would you say other people constitute 'material things'?
  • brizzlar
    Options
    @gothchiq

Thanks for your thoughts. The quote I put forward can be seen in a freeing sense - ie true and lasting happiness can be found in the one who claimed to be the 'bread of life'. There is though an exclusive element to it, that is, he is also the only bread - which makes the person differ from spirituality and religion.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I also have to let you know that the boards have rules against preaching. I'd hate to see you get banned for not knowing this.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The "U" shape of happiness in human life describes the very young as happy and the very old as happy while describing the middle 2/3 of life as unhappy. In the case of my father, who retired with a pension and Social Security replacing 100% of his lifetime highest earned income, he was very happy. In the case of most of us who don't have pensions, savings, or any realistic expectation that Social Security will 100% be there for us, life is an "L".
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    The day I'm satisfied will be the day I have nothing left to accomplish and what's enjoyable about a life with no goals to accomplish?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have, no.

Thinking on, mind, in terms of being more inclusive and 21st century with that quote, "I am the spiralised vegetable substitute for bread and other carbs of life, he/she/xe who comes to me shall not hunger, though if they think they do, maybe they need to have a drink of water to make sure they're not mistaking the signs of thirst for hunger." doesn't quite fit into a song so well as the classic version.
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm always satisfied
    g5qdwswmgrq9.gif
  • JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm always satisfied.. Happy with what I have.. That's the key to happiness. ( for myself )
This discussion has been closed.