Propranalol (please respond only if you have or are taking this med)

Ponkeen
Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I was recently prescribed propranolol to help with migraines and anxiety. Does anyone else take this, or a similar beta blocker, and could you tell me what effect it has had on your weight (if any)?
The internet has some mixed answers to this question, but as I am still losing weight I don't want to sabotage my efforts by taking the wrong medication. I am taking 80mg per day, so a fairly low dose.
Thanks!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Ponkeen wrote: »
    I was recently prescribed propranolol to help with migraines and anxiety. Does anyone else take this, or a similar beta blocker, and could you tell me what effect it has had on your weight (if any)?
    The internet has some mixed answers to this question, but as I am still losing weight I don't want to sabotage my efforts by taking the wrong medication. I am taking 80mg per day, so a fairly low dose.
    Thanks!

Never took it. Is one of the side effects increased appetite? If so, just be aware so that you can be diligent with your calorie intake.

The medication itself does not cause fat gain, it's eating over our total daily energy expenditure due to increased appetite that does that.

Some medications might cause water retention, but that is just water.
  • Ponkeen
    Thanks. Some medications do affect the metabolism and heart rate (and can affect being able to workout at a certain level). I would like to hear from others with some experience, though.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,047 Member
    SLLRunner has basically covered it. Very few medications have any effects on metabolism, most either increase appetite or cause water retention. I would look at the official list of side effects and go by that. Log your food diligently and you will likely be fine.
  • Ponkeen
    Very few, but beta blockers might be in that select group. Again, looking to hear from someone who has actually taken this medication. I've been reading about it, but would like a personal testimonial or two.

http://www.womenfitness.net/beta_blockers_dampening_the_body_ability_to_burn_fat.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20067434
  • Ponkeen
    Thanks, Sloth!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Taken from drugs.com:

Metabolic
    Frequency not reported: Weight gain[Ref]

The mechanism by which propranolol induces weight gain is unknown. Some investigators have reported a 4% to 9% reduction in total energy expenditure and a 25% reduction in thermogenic response to food during beta-blocker treatment.

So it seems nothing conclusive. keep track of your intake and you should be golden. Which pretty much applies to nearly all medication.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks!

Hey, I take 1200 mg Sectral [acebutelol, 400 + 200 tabs twice a day] for heart problems. I don't think it's had any effect on my weight. It DOES make you more tired and I've found all beta blockers have this issue. I've been on Toprol, Metaprolol, all of them. If it's a once a day dose, take it at night before bed. I take one dose in the morning and one at night and that's helped the fatigue.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    My mum is on it, it's had no affect on her weight. I think she's on a slightly higher dose too. If anything it's helped with weight loss because she sleeps half the day away so isn't eating during those times hahaha :')
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Thanks. Some medications do affect the metabolism and heart rate (and can affect being able to workout at a certain level). I would like to hear from others with some experience, though.

My apologies...I missed the part about wanting to only hear from others who have taken it. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2016
    I was on propranolol for a while to try and break the cycle of repeated migraines. Wasn't particularly successful.
    Didn't seem to make me become more lethargic - pretty much neutral in that respect. Had no impact on my weight but I hated the effect it had when I was exercising, seemed to put an artificial cap on my HR. I was playing a lot of squash then and I would become distressed as HR wouldn't keep up with demand.

Took Pizotifen for quite a while and it was fairly effective at reducing frequency of my migraines. That did seem to affect my hunger/satiety signals though, never felt full.
    Not feeling full and the subsequent overeating did lead to weight gain. So wouldn't say it caused weight gain but contributed to it.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Thanks!

I've been taking this exact dose for a long time now and I've never had any weight effects. I still lose weight and haven't gained from it. It does cause hallucinations in higher doses (Ik from experience. Not fun times) Monitor it and make sure the dose is not too high for you.
  • Ponkeen
    Thank you everybody!!! That is really helpful! I'll keep on eye on how my body responds to it.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I took it for migraines and anxiety. It made me a bit sluggish but didn't really affect my weight.
  • kickingpounds
    kickingpounds Posts: 42 Member
    I took it for anxiety, it had no effect on my weight but it helped a lot!
  • daisy552014
    daisy552014 Posts: 13 Member
    Both my mum and brother have taken this and neither have gained weight as a side effect :smile:
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I took a similar med, atenelol. I hated the junk, if I took it late I swore I was dying. Eventually it slowed my heart down to the low 30s, when they FINALLY figured that out, two different hospital stays, I went off of it. Anxiety sucks, if it helps great, if not get a better med.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    My husband takes it for his issues with blood pressure/heart rate. He has no working thyroid and high blood pressure and heart rate is a side effect from that. He has had no issues with weight. In fact he has lost over 20 lbs with me over the past almost 2 months just from logging his calories again :)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    I took a similar med, atenelol. I hated the junk, if I took it late I swore I was dying. Eventually it slowed my heart down to the low 30s, when they FINALLY figured that out, two different hospital stays, I went off of it. Anxiety sucks, if it helps great, if not get a better med.

I personally disagree of the use of beta blockers in the absence of high heart rates. Makes no sense because as you said, it'll just slow the hr down in a normal person.
  • mandyrene21
    mandyrene21 Posts: 215 Member
    I've been on it for about 3 weeks at a low dosage for the same issue. So far I have seen positive results on the frequency of migraines and overall anxiety.

I've not been on it long enough to see a difference in weight loss. I've not gained at all so that's good.

I just started lifting again last week after several months off (due to migraines) and I have not noticed anything different when exercising beyond a lower heart rate.

Good luck!