Do you ever wonder why you're never satisfied?

Options

Replies

• brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Interesting thoughts by many.

@gothchiq thanks for the heads up. I'll try to be respectful and low key :)

I understand that many of you are frustrated with religious beliefs - especially Christianity as that is was you were most exposed to growing up in the U.S.

I also understand that many of you feel like exclusive claims come across as narrow and narrow isn't ok in the 21st century according to many.

I actually happen to think most of us have thrown the baby out with the bath water though.

I grew up around the Christian faith but only rejected the caricature of the faith that I had formed in my head.

Id like to encourage and challenge all of you to re examine that which you've possibly only been given a taste of or worse, a complete misrepresentation of.

When I worked as a teacher we had a motto in the classrooms: 'question everything.' it's a great way to approach life and I think it applies to our search for happiness/meaning/purpose as well :)
  • brizzlar
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    The day I'm satisfied will be the day I have nothing left to accomplish and what's enjoyable about a life with no goals to accomplish?

@Caporegiem

How did you reach rhat conclusion?
  • brizzlar
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    I think we're never satisfied because we always have that knowledge that there is more. That being said though satisfaction can come from just true appreciation of what you already have.

Interesting thoughts Louise. How'd you come to conclude that?
  • brizzlar
    Options
    brizzlar wrote: »
    @Whitezombiegirl

Thanks for your comment.

I understand your rejection of mythology, but how did you come to conclude that Jesus comes under that category?

Maybe because he isn't real and is based off of an Egyptian god named Horus.

Very interesting comment Newmarmessi. I'd love to know how you came to thsy conclusion? I'm currently studying theology and don't believe I've come across that theory yet. I have read that some fringe scholars believe that Jesus went to India during his childhood..
  • brizzlar
    Options
    How did I know this was religious?

What's you're definition of religious?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Alienique wrote: »
    Nope. And if I ruminate too hard on it, I'll end up with an existential crisis, followed by increased awareness of the gaping void in my soul, and probably another cat to fill said void.

Cats are love. Not to recommend animal hoarding or anything, but we've got two spoiled furry babies and are looking forward to getting a third once we get our debt level down. One of my rescues died recently (she apparently had liver failure when I took her in, and I did not know. she died on the operating table) and there is a lot of expense related to all the vet bills wherein we tried to save her. So maybe a year from now that'll be paid off and we can find a healthy and spastic kitten. XD
  • kate141987
    kate141987 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    v4w1ds2afhu3.gif
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a mental illness I call 'chronic satisfaction' it prevents me from running marathons, getting to the top at work, making millions, and of course achieving a six pack. Still I'm the least stressed person I know, so it has its benefits. I did try reading the bible once, got half way though the old testament, came to the conclusion that we have billions of people in the world worshipping a dangerous, jealous, and genocidal psychopath - that whole noah's ark thing!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    How is religion going to satisfy me?
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm surprised at how serious this thread stayed despite the potential. Well done mfp'ers. o:)

And with that it's going downhill

• JessicaJS23
    JessicaJS23 Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    l2hmmaxin0cr.jpg

Yup after they dry accelerate on land. Ruining it
  • down225
    down225 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Jesus called the self - centered rich man, a fool!
    Gospel of Luke.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I suffer from a mental illness I call 'chronic satisfaction' it prevents me from running marathons, getting to the top at work, making millions, and of course achieving a six pack. Still I'm the least stressed person I know, so it has its benefits. I did try reading the bible once, got half way though the old testament, came to the conclusion that we have billions of people in the world worshipping a dangerous, jealous, and genocidal psychopath - that whole noah's ark thing!

Thanks for your honest comment mate.

It's interesting that you stopped half way through. Many people end up doing that - they get stuck on the attack of Ai in Joshua or an equivalent battle that doesn't sit well with them. The best thing you can do there is actually read deep - many read through Joshua for example but don't do the hard work of understanding the context in which it was written and also seeking to understand the narrative that runs from Genesis through to Revelation. I had similar issues initially but once I began to get more a hold on the context of the various books and storyline I found I could see the old testament events as being just.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    How is religion going to satisfy me?

It.never will friend. Religions says: 'there is a God, I am bad and I must do things to make myself good in order to have peace with that God.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    I have to say I'm surprised at how serious this thread stayed despite the potential. Well done mfp'ers. o:)

Agreed louise - although im the only one advocating what I originally wrote, it's pretty good!
  • brizzlar
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Aspiring Christian here, non Church-going for the most part. I use the term aspiring because Christianity is a very challenging religion to follow and it's my opinion that very few people have earned the title "Christian", and that includes me.

Evangelicals, Pentecostals, Non-Denominational Born Agains, and Charismatics seem fond of using the phrase "I want to encourage you (fill in the blank)"

OP, respectfully, I ask you if it seems effective to phrase it this way? Especially with people you've never met and have established no relationship with, which again seems to be common practice within these Christian groups.

Seems to me, and the Catholic Church agrees, that being a personal example of Christian ethics and attitudes - particularly shown within the attitudes toward forgiveness, generosity and refraining from obvious behaviors that Scripture warns against - is the best way of encouraging people. And getting them interested in, or at least curious about, Christianity. Appointing oneself a Christian pep talk expert using the "encouragement" lingo could be interpreted as patronizing. You may not have meant it this way, and probably didn't. But I offer this opinion for you to consider whether it makes sense.

Not sure If you're talking to me? If you, thanks for the challenge :).

Interesting take on Christianity. What makes it challenging for you?

Francis of Assissi (sorry If my spelling is off!) supposedly once said 'preach the gospel and if necessary use words' I think that captures what you are encouraging Christians to do hey?

The reason why I think it's found lacking is because it does not hold the balance that both Jesus and the apostles had. They did good works and sought to live exemplary lives (obviously Jesus did it to perfection), but they also proclaimed a verbal message. It is this balance that I am trying to strike in my life, though I don't always get it 100% :).

This discussion has been closed.