Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cheat day..yes or no?

Options

Replies

• enonymous01
    enonymous01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just try and be a little under my cal goal every day, then when a special occasion meal comes up, or my hormones override all sense of reason or control (like once a month), I let loose a little. If I KNOW it is going to be a high cal day ahead, I will be extra lean the day before. And I have to talk real nice to myself the next day when I feel crappy about over-doing it. But being social and having the hot dog at a BBQ, or the cake at a bday party is important, and human, in my humble opinion.
  • SharpPI
    SharpPI Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I took a cheat day today ... ICE CREAM!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A high calorie day after a long run of low calorie days recharges the metabolism and helps break through weight loss plateaus. You can plan it in advance and you'll be fine.
  • kekeke123
    kekeke123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to love cheat days and definitely would have said yes about a month ago. Now I just treat myself daily instead of cheating once a week or whatever. If I know I want a treat, I program it into my diary first and then fit my healthier foods around it.
  • lurline27
    lurline27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do cheat now and then but not often. I make a deal with myself. If I'm going to cheat today then tomorrow I have to be good and active to burn off at least some of it. I was on a kick fun little fried chicken wings and drumettes from this place around my corner period while I had about 2 or 3 of them yesterday so this morning I got up and I weed eated my yard and my neighbor's yard. That should take care of whatever fine I'll put on from cheating. But I don't do this once a week. The key is always moderation if you going to cheat just cheat a little bit then go eat a whole gigantic bowl of pasta and all that stuff when you know you have to work it off. You'll be defeating your own purpose and just get aggravated with yourself because you're not getting anywhere
  • Eden_Goldie
    Eden_Goldie Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It's a no for me, more of a live each day as it comes approach works best in my opinion. If I happen to slip up by having a hot chocolate instead of a coffee or getting a slice of cake after lunch then I put it down as life and move on as usual. Calling it as a treat day only justifies further treats that day as a pose to getting back on it. This is a lifestyle change and normal healthy lifestyles tend to include the odd chocolate bar, restrictions and limits are for diets. Moderation and sensible choices are the best way!
  • NVBibby
    NVBibby Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cheat day? NO
    1 cheat meal a week that won't undo all my hard work? hell yeah!
  • AccountabilityActionAttitude
    Options
    Cheat days lead to cheat weeks then months for me. I might occasionally have a higher calorie meal or one that has more junk (sugar, processed crap) in it then I would normally have but it is not cheating...it is just making a healthy lifestyle work for me.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First thing's first: operationally define 'cheat day'. Is it a day where you simply don't count calories? Have an extra slice of cake? Eat until you puke and/or cry?
    Everyone here seems to have a different idea of what a cheat day constitutes, but since the bottom line of weight loss is caloric intake, any definition of 'cheating' should take into account the amount of calories one is going over their goal while engaging in said behaviour.

That said, for me, it's a 'yes'. Once every ~20 days, I go over my calorie goal (I'm a maintainer) by about 2000 calories. I'm at the weight I like, and have been for the past 2 years. As long as cheat day remains cheat DAY and doesn't progress into cheat-every-other-day and then into I'll-just-eat-what-I-want-screw-it, I think you can afford to treat yourself once in awhile.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes! It's needed for sanity and keeping up with the lifestyle change long term ;)
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yea cheat days are important for me to maintain long term. I have 1 a week to eat/drink what I want but make sure I don't go over my daily goal
  • Gbpackerchick
    Gbpackerchick Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I cheat a little everyday! I found a product called Fat Fighters that allows me to cheat once a day. I just take the fat fighters after I eat my cheat food or my largest meal of the day and it removes 75% of calories and 15% of the fats I just ate out of my stomach before it goes anywhere else in my body.
    I have been able to do BBQs, weddings, and birthday parties and still enjoy the food. :smiley:
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes it's good to have 1 cheat day, as long as you don't go too crazy. It keeps you sane and you can stick to your healthy eating. No one can go forever with out a treat from time to time. Some days I'll eat a piece of chocolate on a regular day. If the whole week I've been doing well I'll have a cheat meal.
  • d4_54
    d4_54 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As long as you make healthier choices 80% of the time you will be fine to have the occasional unhealthier choices.

I don't see it as a treat meal though as all my meals are enjoyable. I feel nourished so I do not crave that hit of the so called cheat meal.

Now for the disclaimer. I know some people fitness models/competitors may have to eat chicken and broccoli type meals in prep. However I do not think these types of eating is a sensible long term lifestyle choice. I am against "diets" that promote low calories and bland "clean foods" without sauces.

What would you give as an example of a non-cheat meal. What is a cheat meal?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I cheat a little everyday! I found a product called Fat Fighters that allows me to cheat once a day. I just take the fat fighters after I eat my cheat food or my largest meal of the day and it removes 75% of calories and 15% of the fats I just ate out of my stomach before it goes anywhere else in my body.
    I have been able to do BBQs, weddings, and birthday parties and still enjoy the food. :smiley:

Um, no.
  • manto2112
    manto2112 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I loooove junk food but I'm trying to find better options. Yesterday I thought about having a cheat day but I manage to fit my cravings under my deficit!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    We all have to find a balance that works for each of us. It's going to be different for the casual lifter than the pro. Find what works for you and yes, it needs to really work with your goals and the rest of your life.

I'm in this game as a mid-40s desk jockey with a family and a professional job. I want to look pretty good and keep up with my kids. I put in enough effort to get a 4 pack reasonably often, a 6 pack once, to continue to get stronger, and to run 5ks with my family. This means that my diets take longer than they "should" and I've favored recomp over regular cuts and bulks. I just don't take cheat days so often as to destroy my progress, but often enough to slow my diets down. I'm okay with that.

TL;DR version: Hell yes, I take cheat days, but I make sure I still make progress.
  • satemoses
    satemoses Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I fully understand how difficult it can be. I've lost 30 lbs and gained it back twice. There was a time I use to have a cheat day but it usually led to me feeling guilty by the end of the night and the next day I would continue cheating or workout too hard to make up for eating wrong. Losing weight is mental and physical. I say No to a cheat day but Yes to a cheat meal or snack. If I do have a cheat meal or snack, I tend to do low calorie smoothies, low fat salad or low fat soup so my calorie intake for the day is not ridiculous. Night time is my worst time but now I eat an apple or drink detox tea with no sweetner and my craving are satisfied.
  • schniderlopez
    schniderlopez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    addily1986 wrote: »
    When starting my diet I thought to myself "I'm not sure I can do this...I need a cheat day." Now my mind is telling me yes cheat day! ...but it's telling me to cheat every day so I'm trying not to listen.
    What are other peoples viewpoints on a cheat day?

Dieting is hard work any time of the year you do it. But it feels especially hard for me in the summer because of all the fun social things happening. I mean have you ever tried to float the river without a beer? BORING.

Have a lite beer, it's only around 100 calories, hell save calories for 2 for 200 calories, why can't you have beer? Just log it and stay with in calories count. ;)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    years ago when i was going to the gym most days & played racquetball, I ate healthy 5 days in a row, then ate whatever i wanted on the 6th day & recovered on the 7th day. It actually worked out well because if i really wanted something i knew i could have it in a couple of days.