What do you do with zucchini?

Options

Replies

• makaylajane
    Options
    zucchini noodles! search it on youtube :)
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have 4 zucchini plants in my garden (among other things) and they grow like nuts up here (near Chicago). Just picked my first zucchini, and I think it might find its way into a big plate of whole wheat pasta tonight - yum! =)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Sounds odd, but if you shred it and add it to oatmeal with lots of cinnamon and a touch of maple syrup and/or brown sugar it tastes similar to zucchini bread. One of my favorite ways to do my oatmeal.:smile:
  • mathergirl
    mathergirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I add it to multi-colored peppers, red onion and taco seasoning and make fajitas. I also saute with red onions and add some cream cheese at the very end, it is really good.
  • DommieW
    DommieW Posts: 1
    Options
    Use a vegetable peeler to get super thin slices, and throw in a salad!

Find a zucchini chocolate cake recipe - lower cals than regular chocolate cake!
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    HI!

I love it!!!

Here is my favorite thing to make and it is GOOD for you!

I cook up 2lbs Extra Lean Ground Turkey until cooked through. Then Add sliced zucchini and mushrooms to pan. Put lid on for about 5 minutes. Then done! I like my zucchini to be a little crunchy if you do not cook longer once the veggies are in the pan. The zucchini and mushrooms give this an awesome flavor.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I ignore it, because it is yucky.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    grate it and make zucchini pancakes!
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    It must be a Midwest thing where people leave it on your doorstep...they do the same here in Southern Indiana too. My fave way to eat it is raw with Hidden Valley Light Ranch. Here is another awesome recipe:
    Heat olive oil or 2T butter, and either garlic or garlic powder in pan.
    Slice zucchini, squash, mushrooms(opt.), and turkey smoked sausage in skillet.
    Cover, stirring frequently, until meat is browned and veggies tender.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I love this casserole which is based on zucchini and potato!
    http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2009/10/zucchini-kugel-casserole-recipe.html/
  • abeautifulmess
    abeautifulmess Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/08/recipe-for-grilled-zucchini-pizza.html

You have to try this! It may sound kind of weird, but it's SO good, and enough to satisfy any pizza craving. I haven't really seen any of the big round zucchinis around here, so we've just used regular zucchini sliced length-wise and it works out great. :)
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Make a pasta primavera with it, some mushrooms, diced tomato onion and garlic. Saute in olive oil and add WHOLE WHEAT pasta or brown rice. If it wasn't for the fact I just made a pot of chicken tortellini soup I'd be heading for the kitchen to make some!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    slice it thin with a mandolin and use it instead of noodles in a low fat lasagne.
  • Divabonita88
    Divabonita88 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    squash & ZUCCHINI CASSEROLE w/ cheese (MMMMMMMMMM HEAVENLY, JUST ATE SOME!!) give it a try :)
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Brush pesto on then grill, yummy
  • fwar
    fwar Posts: 1
    Options
    We like to eat it in salads. Also we grill it with yellow squash, onion and tomato.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Slice them toss them in olive oil and garlic, sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese and layer on a baking tray - bake them until they just start to get a little brown/crispy. MMMMmmmm!! Sooo good!

Yes!
    Also, you can slice it lengthwise and thin and toast it like above then top it like mini pizza's with (good low cal toppings of course) like veggies and maybe turkey pepperoni. It really is so good.
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    WARNING!! THIS LINK IS NOT FOR WEAK PEOPLE!!

Eat zucchini like this--and never tell anybody that you heard it from me!:

www.goodloavin.com
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    toss in balsamic vinegar and a bit of olive oil, roast on high. yummy.

We have the same issues with zucchini here in New Zealand ... but it's winter atm ....
  • GirlTuesday
    Options
    Dehydrate it and make chips for snacks or stuff it with ground turkey, tomatoes, corn, (any combination you would enjoy) and throw it in the oven.