Keto diet?!!

Options
Hey guys I just started the keto diet last week! It's is a little challenging but I'm going to keep at it, being that my doctor put me on this diet in hopes that I will loose the weight! So far I have lost 5 pounds !! I am super excited to see if I loose more and keep it off. Anyone on here doing the keto diet id love to make some new friends and challenge one another in our weight loss journey!

Replies

• cinnamonsprinkles
    cinnamonsprinkles Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started the keto diet about 2 weeks ago and have lost 6 pounds so far. I'm really excited to see the number getting smaller and just feeling better all around. I was really feeling good about myself yesterday because my body finally adjusted and I'm in ketosis now. Woo hoo! Is a pretty easy change of eating habits very filling but sometimes I'm stumped at what I can eat. Would love to make some friends going along with the keto lifestyle.
  • Sassiejessy
    Sassiejessy Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just started last Wednesday. I've lost close to 6 pounds. The blog that's really helped me get started is called ibreatheimhungry. It has meal plans and recipes. Also I got a fitbit over a week ago and have had a blast challenging friends and coworkers. That really helps push me to get active and walk.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Today is my day 1 on the keto diet. I've filled out my diary for today, tomorrow, and Wednesday and I'm having trouble getting my protein as low as I'd like but I think I have it pretty well balanced for the most part.
  • daiyewalker
    daiyewalker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Day 1 for me as well! I lost a chunk of weight last year on keto, and felt great while on it, so long as I drank enough electrolyte water. What are your fat/protein/carb goals?
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have my fat at 70%, protein at 20%, and carbs at 10%.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Mya0229 wrote:
    Hey guys I just started the keto diet last week! It's is a little challenging but I'm going to keep at it, being that my doctor put me on this diet in hopes that I will loose [sic] the weight! So far I have lost 5 pounds !! I am super excited to see if I loose [sic] more and keep it off. Anyone on here doing the keto diet id love to make some new friends and challenge one another in our weight loss journey!
    Hopefully your doctor also referred you to a dietician, and some support groups,
    because the keto diet is for a specific neurological problem.
    Also, keep in touch with your doctor & dietician to monitor for the long-term consequences.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet
    "The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children."
    https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet
    "The ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian. It is stricter than the modified Atkins diet, requiring careful measurements of calories, fluids, and proteins.
    Doctors usually recommend the ketogenic diet for children whose seizures have not responded to several different seizure medicines.
    The typical ketogenic diet, called the "long-chain triglyceride diet," provides 3 to 4 grams of fat for every 1 gram of carbohydrate and protein."
    "side effects that might occur if the person stays on the diet for a long time are:
    Kidney stones
    High cholesterol levels in the blood
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Slowed growth or weight gain
    Bone fractures"

• belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Mya0229 wrote:
    Hey guys I just started the keto diet last week! It's is a little challenging but I'm going to keep at it, being that my doctor put me on this diet in hopes that I will loose [sic] the weight! So far I have lost 5 pounds !! I am super excited to see if I loose [sic] more and keep it off. Anyone on here doing the keto diet id love to make some new friends and challenge one another in our weight loss journey!
    Hopefully your doctor also referred you to a dietician, and some support groups,
    Also, keep in touch with your doctor & dietician to monitor for the long-term consequences.
    "The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children."
    https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet
    "The ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian. It is stricter than the modified Atkins diet, requiring careful measurements of calories, fluids, and proteins.
    Doctors usually recommend the ketogenic diet for children whose seizures have not responded to several different seizure medicines.
    The typical ketogenic diet, called the "long-chain triglyceride diet," provides 3 to 4 grams of fat for every 1 gram of carbohydrate and protein."
    "side effects that might occur if the person stays on the diet for a long time are:
    Kidney stones
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Bone fractures"

There is no sound science or results directly correlating being on keto long term and any of those side effects. Please dont provide misleading information without providing full context.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    belleflop wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Mya0229 wrote:
    Kidney stones
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    Bone fractures"

There is no sound science or results directly correlating being on keto long term and any of those side effects. Please dont provide misleading information without providing full context.

Thank you!
  • scottaking
    scottaking Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

This group was/is my go to for everything...really great people!! Friend me if you like

^This right here. LCHF, especially keto, can attract a lot of negative comments in the forums.

This community is very supportive and has tons of great advice.

Personally, I've been keto for almost 2 months and have dropped 40lbs. Given, the first 10 or so was water weight.
  • whitehammer941
    whitehammer941 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was previously partaking in the Keto journey, and quit doing it, but now I am back on it, and tomorrow will be my Day 1. Any support and motivation would definitely be nice!!
  • SunflowerAngel7777
    SunflowerAngel7777 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So I've been on Keto for week over 8 weeks now. Lost a lot the first 3 weeks, had a bad week, then hit a plateau. I'm working with my doc to see what choices I'm making in correctly. One note, he had me eating salt 2x a day, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and a probiotic, as I suffered from constipation issues... I am down 16 lbs so far. Pinterest has a lot of keto diet recipes, I've added a few to my my log. Good luck everyone :)
  • dessytakestheworld
    Options
    This is day 16 of Keto for me, I've lost 18lbs so far give or take 1-2lbs gain/lost everyday for anyone. I'm obese so don't get too shocked at those numbers vs days. A site that helped me with meal ideas is ruled.me/ LOTS of different takes on a lot of foods I used to enjoy and it's what got me into changing first of all and I use this site for macro tracking. I hope you're still on your journey and wish you the best.
  • djaustin53
    djaustin53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just started Keto myself.. :D
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Is this diet dangerous??
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    So I've been on Keto for week over 8 weeks now. Lost a lot the first 3 weeks, had a bad week, then hit a plateau. I'm working with my doc to see what choices I'm making in correctly. One note, he had me eating salt 2x a day, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and a probiotic, as I suffered from constipation issues... I am down 16 lbs so far. Pinterest has a lot of keto diet recipes, I've added a few to my my log. Good luck everyone :)

How about eating cruciferous veggies and water for the constipation? The tend to be low carb.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    For those with Keto questions please join us on the Low Carber Daily Forum - the LCD Group. Those who think strictly in CICO terms tend to be uninformed as to the details of this WOE so for more complete information this is the place to go. :)
  • LivLovh20
    LivLovh20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Forgive me canadjineh but what is CICO and WOE. I'm new to all this and those terms are unfamiliar. Thanks.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Is this diet dangerous??

the only way its dangerous is if you have uncontrollable diabetes(or you dont control it through meds), or if you have another health issue. it requires eating high fat, so for people like me who have to watch fat intake,then its not a good thing to try. everyone is different,so for some it will be great,others its just not sustainable and others it could cause further health issues.so its one of those things if you arent sure talk to your dr,a dietitian and do research to see if its right for you
  • SarahKay716
    SarahKay716 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've gone on and off keto before but have always had trouble sticking with it. I am vegan, but have done tons of research, but it is doable in my case if I am smart. If anyone would like to share food logs with me to stay on top of day to day food logs/exercising, I'd love that. Also getting a new Fitbit tomorrow so looking for buddies who are doing keto, want to share food logs, and could be fitbit buddies as well! Not all required though!!