Should I do LCHF?

Options
I have about 30 lbs I want to lose. I'm motivated to stay on track but I'm the kind of person that loves to snack and I love fruit.

I keep hearing about how successful LCHF diets are. How do you give up fruit? I can give up bread and starchy veggies with no issue but the lack of fruit seems impossible to me.

What do you find works for you? Cutting calories and eating a balance of everything or cutting down on carbs?

Feel free to add me as a friend. I can use motivated positive peeps.

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    So heres the deal for me...

I did Atkins (LCHF) years ago and it works, I lost weight and I felt more energy BUT I couldn't stick to it to maintain my weight.

So my advice is if you think you can stick to it to maintain your weight loss then go for it. I couldn't.
  • MissDeeDee2
    MissDeeDee2 Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

I did Atkins (LCHF) years ago and it works, I lost weight and I felt more energy BUT I couldn't stick to it to maintain my weight.

So my advice is if you think you can stick to it to maintain your weight loss then go for it. I couldn't.

What did you find difficult?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love carbs and I would often go over the amount I could have. Which would kick me out of ketosis.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Im.just starting my low carb lifestyle ive got an open diary aswell feel free to add me. Im hoping to not feel as hungry
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any diet/weight loss plan will work if it 1) provides a calorie deficit, 2) you can and will stick to it, and 3) you stick to it.

The "success" of LCHF is part increased initial water weight loss, part satiety/ease of adherence for those who prefer to eat that way. Oh, and part hype. It's not a magic fat burning diet. It's not for everybody.

If you need to be motivated to stick to your diet, you aren't going to make it, I'm afraid. Find a way of eating and living that you enjoy, that also is leads to good health, including normal weight. It's not that difficult, but you will have to "forget" a lot of what you "know", and relearn, while being critical and openminded (yes, both at the same time) and curious.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

This^

I've tried low carb "for weight loss." It works "for weight loss", but so do other methods of calorie restriction.

The hard part for me would have been the forever part (I never considered forever and gained the weight back). I'm not giving up bread, pasta, rice, fruit....forever. So a diet that helps me lose weight AND helps me keep it off is a better choice.

Losing weight should help you figure out what changes you need to make to keep the weight from creeping back up.
  • Liz6843
    Liz6843 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins. Felt really malnourished, but I guess I could have been doing it wrong...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Any diet that helps you eat the right number of calories will work, including LCHF. So if LCHF seems like a pleasant and easy way for you to eat, try it!

I personally focus on eating a nutrient-dense healthful diet all the time, and cutting calories when I want to lose. LCHF doesn't fit well with my idea of what a healthful diet it (although LCHF can be done in a healthful manner) or how I like to eat (or what makes me feel good), and my aspirations are actually to move somewhat farther away from one than closer to it, but that's me.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, can you do it for the rest of your life? I choose to lose weight slowly, so my body can adjust, so I can learn proper proportions, and create healthy meals that I can make most days.

Yes it's easy to lose weight, but it's much harder to keep it off.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LCHF isconsidered to be below 150 or 100g of carbs per day. Depending on your calories count, that could be as high as 40% of your daily intake, which is still lower than most diets.

Try it. Cut sugars and grains first - all the ultra refined and processed foods - and you will have LOTS of room for fruit and veggies.

I eat less than 30g of carbs per day and manage a few servings of veggies no problem. And that's a ketogenic diet. Someone eating closer to 150g per day could eat 5 times as much carbs as me and still be low carb.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons of LCHF here, as well as interesting tangents and cat gifs: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10426373/low-carb-does-work/p1
  • TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definitely some pro's and con's to LCHF diet.

I'm was on one for a while and I did enjoy it, however, as a hyper-active, type A personality, we've been known to struggle a bit more with LCHF diets. So, if you tend to have a naturally higher metabolism, I'd suggest against it.

Do you eat meat? Being a vegetarian on a LCHF diet isn't impossible, but it does make it more difficult in my experience.

Lyle McDonald (quite the genius on LCHF diets) analyzes a scientific study on whether a LCHF diet is better than just reducing calories. Read the study, then read his analysis. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/reduced-fat-reduced-carbohydrate-diets.html/

Good luck :)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify for calling myself LCHF, but I do like the way I feel when I keep my carbs to 150g per day. I stay satiated and don't have too many issues with hunger cravings or low energy levels. When I make sure to eat adequate protein, fat, and fiber, I really don't have to mindfully avoid carbs, they just kind of stay low all by themselves. The only things I think to restrict are sugary foods. I don't eat much bread or pasta anyway because I am sensitive to wheat. I do have to mindfully make sure I eat fat -- I usually have to add some nuts or some guacamole to some meals. I second @nvmomketo 's suggestion to just try it... adjust your macros to increase fat and fiber and make sure you eat the recommended 0.8 - 1g of protein/kg body weight. See how you do.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    I don't know if I qualify for calling myself LCHF, but I do like the way I feel when I keep my carbs to 150g per day. I stay satiated and don't have too many issues with hunger cravings or low energy levels. When I make sure to eat adequate protein, fat, and fiber, I really don't have to mindfully avoid carbs, they just kind of stay low all by themselves. The only things I think to restrict are sugary foods. I don't eat much bread or pasta anyway because I am sensitive to wheat. I do have to mindfully make sure I eat fat -- I usually have to add some nuts or some guacamole to some meals. I second @nvmomketo 's suggestion to just try it... adjust your macros to increase fat and fiber and make sure you eat the recommended 0.8 - 1g of protein/kg body weight. See how you do.

You're definitely at a lower carb intake than most, but if we are to assume LCHF diet means being in ketosis, generally 100g of carbs or less is required for ketosis.

But 150g of carbs a day is good!
  • MissDeeDee2
    MissDeeDee2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to aim for 90g of carbs a day and see how my body reacts. This is day one of my weight loss journey and I'm determined to reach my goal.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing your research..your body, how many calories you need per day based on your height/weight/age/ activity level.

for me..Counting calories and exercising works.

Simply burn more calories per day than you consume..and you will lose weight. No special diet needed..no need to watch how many carbs you eat.

Keep it simple. I have lost 74+ pounds since march 1st.

Good luck on your journey.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to aim for 90g of carbs a day and see how my body reacts. This is day one of my weight loss journey and I'm determined to reach my goal.

Good idea :) have you heard of Ketostix? There are these little sticks that you pee on to see if you're in ketosis or not. Not the most reliable things but they help you see if you're on the right track. Keep in mind if you but them though that their threshold for detecting ketones is 50g of carbs or less.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TravisGM92 wrote: »

You're definitely at a lower carb intake than most, but if we are to assume LCHF diet means being in ketosis, generally 100g of carbs or less is required for ketosis.

Does that mean that LCHF diet is synonymous with Keto diet? I thought keto required something more like 50g of carbs per day. Also, I was going off of what nvmomketo said about below 150.
  • TravisGM92
    Options
    TravisGM92 wrote: »

Does that mean that LCHF diet is synonymous with Keto diet? I was going off of what nvmomketo said.

Not necessarily synonymous but one eats a LCHF diet to get into ketosis, generally. If you say "low carb-high fat" in the science community they'll assume you mean a version of the keto diet.