Do you ever wonder why you're never satisfied?

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Why do you assume we are all dissatisfied? Life is a process, and it is by going through that process that we learn and grow, at least if we learn to enjoy it for what it is and all it has to offer. I have certainly grown as I've aged and I desire to continue to do so. That's not being unsatisfied or dissatisfied, it's striving to be the best me I can be.

On the metaphysical side of things, I don't claim to have any answers and I must admit that I'm more than a bit put off by those who do. Anyone pretending to "know" God in whatever form they claim to know "Him" must be awfully arrogant to believe they have knowledge unattainable to humans. If you're going to attempt to understand God without years of studies in physics then you're pretending to know more than the smartest and most well educated among us. Human knowledge is ultimately limited and I'm agnostic regarding what I can't understand or examine. That acceptance makes me satisfied because it forces me to work within the means of what I am, mortal and finite.

That is not to say you aren't entitled to your beliefs. But, don't pretend to know what you as a human cannot possibly know or comprehend. Accept your limitations and embrace what you can know and comprehend.

ETA: the typos are mine. I'm only human . . .
  • brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Aspiring Christian here, non Church-going for the most part. I use the term aspiring because Christianity is a very challenging religion to follow and it's my opinion that very few people have earned the title "Christian", and that includes me.

Evangelicals, Pentecostals, Non-Denominational Born Agains, and Charismatics seem fond of using the phrase "I want to encourage you (fill in the blank)"

OP, respectfully, I ask you if it seems effective to phrase it this way? Especially with people you've never met and have established no relationship with, which again seems to be common practice within these Christian groups.

Seems to me, and the Catholic Church agrees, that being a personal example of Christian ethics and attitudes - particularly shown within the attitudes toward forgiveness, generosity and refraining from obvious behaviors that Scripture warns against - is the best way of encouraging people. And getting them interested in, or at least curious about, Christianity. Appointing oneself a Christian pep talk expert using the "encouragement" lingo could be interpreted as patronizing. You may not have meant it this way, and probably didn't. But I offer this opinion for you to consider whether it makes sense.

Meant to add: I'll reflect on my use of the word 'encourage' a bit more - I agree coming across as condescending is never good. Thanks again :).
  • brizzlar
    Options
    down225 wrote: »
    Jesus called the self - centered rich man, a fool!
    Gospel of Luke.
    Gospel of Luke.
    Gospel of Luke. [/quote

Right on Down!
  • brizzlar
    Options
    Why do you assume we are all dissatisfied? Life is a process, and it is by going through that process that we learn and grow, at least if we learn to enjoy it for what it is and all it has to offer. I have certainly grown as I've aged and I desire to continue to do so. That's not being unsatisfied or dissatisfied, it's striving to be the best me I can be.

On the metaphysical side of things, I don't claim to have any answers and I must admit that I'm more than a bit put off by those who do. Anyone pretending to "know" God in whatever form they claim to know "Him" must be awfully arrogant to believe they have knowledge unattainable to humans. If you're going to attempt to understand God without years of studies in physics then you're pretending to know more than the smartest and most well educated among us. Human knowledge is ultimately limited and I'm agnostic regarding what I can't understand or examine. That acceptance makes me satisfied because it forces me to work within the means of what I am, mortal and finite.

That is not to say you aren't entitled to your beliefs. But, don't pretend to know what you as a human cannot possibly know or comprehend. Accept your limitations and embrace what you can know and comprehend.

Thanks mate.

Yep I assume that people are dissatisfied because I've both read that this is the Human condition according to the bible, but I've also observed it/continue to observe it in the people around me. Im not suggesting that people never experience happiness or contentment, but rather that it's short lived when they do.

Lots of truth statements in your contribution and lots of presuppositions about how we can know God etc.

Tell us how you came to conclude that you need to study physics for years in order to know God?

• brizzlar
    Options

Did I imply that my knowledge unobtainable to other humans? I didn't mean to come across that way If so. The knowledge I have does not make me superior to others.

I am a.begger just wanting to point other beggars to the bread I found.
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited August 2016
    Options
    brizzlar wrote: »

Did I imply that my knowledge unobtainable to other humans? I didn't mean to come across that way If so. The knowledge I have does not make me superior to others.

By what path did you attain this knowledge? Did you study The Buddhist texts, The Koran, The Tanakh, The Vedas, or The Guru Granth Sahib before settling on Christianity? Have you considered the wonderful tolerance of different beliefs demonstrated by some religions and weighed that against the one you've chosen? Have you weighed what ethics you believe are right and the behaviors you view as wrong, and then checked those against what is written in The Bible? Help me understand how and why you've chosen your path and your decision to post a thread lecturing us all on our behavior. There are so many false profits. I'd prefer to listen to someone who has done his homework. Have you done yours?
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    l2hmmaxin0cr.jpg

Yup after they dry accelerate on land. Ruining it

Everybody knows to run the garden hose to the intake like you would a boat out of water haha Riiight? Maybe they don't know?
  • sunnybeaches105
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thanks mate.

Yep I assume that people are dissatisfied because I've both read that this is the Human condition according to the bible, but I've also observed it/continue to observe it in the people around me. Im not suggesting that people never experience happiness or contentment, but rather that it's short lived when they do.

Lots of truth statements in your contribution and lots of presuppositions about how we can know God etc.

Tell us how you came to conclude that you need to study physics for years in order to know God?

Because if you don't understand what you claim to be his creation in all its finite glory then how can you possibly make an honest claim to know Him in all his (as you believe) infinite glory?

Put another way, why do you think you know when so many smarter than you admit they don't or believe differently? Is that not the ultimate arrogance absent good evidence?
  • down225
    down225 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    "I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)
    This is my goal, learned through the process of life! Can be yours as well!
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    "I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)

"There is a Possibility of freedom from suffering. By removing the causes of suffering, it is possible to attain a state of Liberation, a state free from suffering. According to Buddhist thought, the root causes of suffering are ignorance, craving, and hatred. These are called the ‘three poisons of the mind.’"
    Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living

It seems to me that there may be more than one path to the true God if there is such a thing. The core values of compassion, love of others, and freedom of want of material possessions are shared by more than one religion.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

"There is a Possibility of freedom from suffering. By removing the causes of suffering, it is possible to attain a state of Liberation, a state free from suffering. According to Buddhist thought, the root causes of suffering are ignorance, craving, and hatred. These are called the ‘three poisons of the mind.’"

It seems to me that there may be more than one path to the true God if there is such a thing. The core values of compassion, love of others, and freedom of want of material possessions are shared by more than one religion.

It's true what the Dalai Lama says, in my opinion. But, as I understand it, Buddhists don't see the Buddha as a deity as Christians see Christ as a deity. Christians pray directly to Jesus and ask for a personal relationship with him and have powerful experiences with that.

In the Buddhist centers where I sit Zen (as a Christian who practices Zen mind training), the Western, American-born Buddhists deny praying directly to Buddha or believing in a deity. They are staunchly agonistic or atheist. Although I find it curious that the chants done at the centers make constant reference to Bodhi Sattvas and the Root Guru so apparently there are supernatural beliefs that go hand in hand with the Buddhist religion along with the belief in re-incarnation and a sort of linear or tit for tat belief in Karma, or Cause and Effect.

I dont disagree. Perhaps the better comparison for my point regarding the path to God would have been the path to Salvation or Enlightenment.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    l2hmmaxin0cr.jpg

Yup after they dry accelerate on land. Ruining it

Everybody knows to run the garden hose to the intake like you would a boat out of water haha Riiight? Maybe they don't know?

wait.

Jesus rode a jet ski?

This thread is gettin' pretty deep, it dang sure is.
  • benmullins4
    benmullins4 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Gospel of Luke.

What if he's still rich, but a little off center?
  • brizzlar
    edited August 2016
    Options

By what path did you attain this knowledge? Did you study The Buddhist texts, The Koran, The Tanakh, The Vedas, or The Guru Granth Sahib before settling on Christianity? Have you considered the wonderful tolerance of different beliefs demonstrated by some religions and weighed that against the one you've chosen? Have you weighed what ethics you believe are right and the behaviors you view as wrong, and then checked those against what is written in The Bible? Help me understand how and why you've chosen your path and your decision to post a thread lecturing us all on our behavior. There are so many false profits. I'd prefer to listen to someone who has done his homework. Have you done yours?

Nice way to turn the focus on me ;) I'll let you answer the question i set out before you first mate :)

Just to be clear, I don't regard myself as a prophet, I'm just an ordinary Christian ;)
  • brizzlar
    Options

'More than one path' - a very popular perspective in the Western world. I'm curious to know to know how you came to reach thid conclusion too..?
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This is something I think about a lot and really REALLY want to know the answer to. I have an amazing life... an incredible life. No financial worries, the best family anyone could ask for, and there's a very real possibility of my dreams coming true. I have my days where I'm very happy and alotttt of other days where I'm not. So then I wonder, is there anything that can make us purely happy?
  • DrenRigs
    DrenRigs Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Is it cause your not eating at maintenance
  • brizzlar
    edited August 2016
    Options
    This is something I think about a lot and really REALLY want to know the answer to. I have an amazing life... an incredible life. No financial worries, the best family anyone could ask for, and there's a very real possibility of my dreams coming true. I have my days where I'm very happy and alotttt of other days where I'm not. So then I wonder, is there anything that can make us purely happy?

Thanks for your honest contribution Pianoplaya :)

It really depends on what you mean by happy. If by happy you mean feeling by positive euphoric feelings 100% of the time, then I'd say no. But if you mean being able to be content and have inner joy despite the harsh realities of life.. Absolutely :).

Jesus made some pretty outlandish claims about himself which still upset people today - just look at some of the comments above.

But it's worth thinking deeply and intelligently about those claims and coming to an informed view for yourself. I've done just that and can say from experience that I do have that contentment and inner joy. I definitely have to keep seeking my joy in Christ. I definitely need to regain perspective at times too. But despite these things, the 'living water' and 'bread of life' language that Jesus uses of himself is very real for me :).

• brizzlar
    Options
    DrenRigs wrote: »
    Is it cause your not eating at maintenance

Hahaha
This discussion has been closed.