What is making me constipated? Is it protein powder?

Options
Sorry for the TMI! I've been on my fitness journey for 6 or 7 weeks now and taking JD Nutricals Double Vanilla Protein Powder for about 4 weeks. The inly other time this happened to me was when I was younger and had a bit of an eating disorder (mainly I just didn't eat!) I wonder if anyone else has this issue? Is it the protein powder or could it just be my low calorie diet? I'm on 1200 a day and hit that about 4 days a week. I'm 81kgs (have lost 5 kgs) and have a healthy diet. Occasional splurge may be corn chips or big portion size of a healthy meal.... I'm in fiber supplements and am super bloated from them :( nasty stuff. Help!

Replies

• chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Try adding foods higher in fiber, Cabbage is a good one
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find the ingredients for that particular protein powder online. Could you list them?

Many people are sensitive to either whey or soy, so either of those could be part of the problem. The only way to really tell is to switch to a different powder with a different protein base or to cut it out of your diet entirely and see what happens.
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a protein powder anyway?
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @samkills3 I'm using weights to lose fat and gain muscle. My personal trainer said to aim for 100gms of protein a day. Muscle recovery/building. She suggested powder or protein mousse so I went and bought it.... It took a while for her to convince me I needed it, but I did a bit of reading up on it. I probably don't need quite as much as she has recommended, she's big on 'the gains' though so maybe that's part of it?!
    Also, I kinda thought everyone took some sort of protein supplement? Can you tell I'm new to this? :)
  • TarikOktay
    TarikOktay Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Try to split it up over the day 25gr at morning, 25gr afternoon, 25gr at night? And check out how that feels for you. Btw howmany gr of protein shake you drink?
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
  • vanessaaorth717
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @azuvioleta6 It's instantized cross flow micro filtered and ultra filtered whey protein isolate. Flavours, emulsifiers, sweetners, 950, 955... Sounds appetizing huh?
  • vanessaaorth717
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TarikOktay wrote: »
    Try to split it up over the day 25gr at morning, 25gr afternoon, 25gr at night? And check out how that feels for you. Btw howmany gr of protein shake you drink?

Thanks @TarikOktay My PT said 100-120gms but I'm sitting on around 80gms per day. One scoop of the powder is 30gms and I stick to one a day (with added powdered fiber!) and the rest I get from lean meats (mostly chicken) and Greek yoghurt.
  • amgaylord
    amgaylord Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat? When I have this issue, I increase my fat intake.
  • TarikOktay
    TarikOktay Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    TarikOktay wrote: »

Thanks @TarikOktay My PT said 100-120gms but I'm sitting on around 80gms per day. One scoop of the powder is 30gms and I stick to one a day (with added powdered fiber!) and the rest I get from lean meats (mostly chicken) and Greek yoghurt.

If you drink one shake of 30gms, i would still try to split up and mix it with skim milk (no fats but still contains protein). Plus you could try to add unroasted almonds to your greek yoghurt? Also contains allot of protein. So you could try to get some more protein out of easy food mixing it together with small amounts and split up drinking the shake like i said before. See if that makes a difference for you.
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. Much appreciated @TarikOktay. Will definitely give that a go!
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    amgaylord wrote: »

@amgaylord Wow. That's something I hadn't thought of. Actually my fat intake is pretty low....perhaps coconut oil or avocado to bump it up? What sort of fats helps you?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    There's generally three reasons this happens:

fat
    fiber
    water

Increase these and you should be good to go. this is, UNLESS, you have some sort of intolerance to whey in which case taking it out might help. I doubt it though, considering it's whey isolate (which removes most of the possible allergen/intolerance products like lactose).
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

fat
    fiber
    water

Increase these and you should be good to go. this is, UNLESS, you have some sort of intolerance to whey in which case taking it out might help. I doubt it though, considering it's whey isolate (which removes most of the possible allergen/intolerance products like lactose).

Ok... Well I'm DEFINITELY killing it in daily fiber intake, I almost drink TOO much water. It must be the fat..... My old arch nemesis. Thanks @rainbowbow
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

fat
    fiber
    water

Ok... Well I'm DEFINITELY killing it in daily fiber intake, I almost drink TOO much water. It must be the fat..... My old arch nemesis. Thanks @rainbowbow

you're welcome!

I just want to mention that if you want to get things going really fast mixing fat with something like a VERY mild laxative (think coffee). Some people have great success adding coconut oil to their morning cup o' coffee.
  • vanessaaorth717
    Options

fat
    fiber
    water

you're welcome!

I just want to mention that if you want to get things going really fast mixing fat with something like a VERY mild laxative (think coffee). Some people have great success adding coconut oil to their morning cup o' coffee.

Worth a try! ;)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    amgaylord wrote: »

@amgaylord Wow. That's something I hadn't thought of. Actually my fat intake is pretty low....perhaps coconut oil or avocado to bump it up? What sort of fats helps you?

I would suspect this before I would suspect the protein as the culprit.

Shoot for .35-.42 grams of fat per pound of lean body weight per day (so someone who weighs 140 at 25% body fat would have 105 lbs of lean weight x .35 grams = ~37 grams of fat).
    Shoot for mostly mono and polyunsaturated fats.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    That's some expensive protein powder. And yes more fats.
  • joelo_83
    joelo_83 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

fat
    fiber
    water

you're welcome!

Yep, preworkout will do the same lol

Increasing your protein intake while reducing calories will often increase GI transit time. As long as you're having a BM a few times a week you're good.