Moms of College Freshman Teenage Daughters? Anyone??

Options
Shana67
Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
O. M. G.

Save me from my 18 year old.

Love her, love her, love her. My youngest, my sweetheart, my angel. BUT SHE IS MAKING ME CRAZY. I think we have made her life too easy. She's away at school an hour south of us and is MISERABLE living away from home.

Kid? Do you have ANY IDEA how fortunate you are to be going to school with no student loans to worry about? A warm and safe place to live? All the food you can possibly eat LOL

She is a whole 6 DAYS into her college career and ready to come home because of being homesick. UGH.

Okay, so that's my day! How 'bout you =P

Replies

• jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I don't have a daughter, but I remember the girls in our freshmen dorm were in tears for the first 2-4 weeks, the parents constantly over during the week, them going home on the weekends, etc. I remember thinking, what the freak is going on?
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What do you mean no student loans to worry about?? Does she have a trust fund? Please tell.

Possibly has a scholarship!
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't have any kids but I feel like commenting because your daughter is/was exactly me. I am in University right now in my last year and also have everything paid for and no loans and no worries. I also go to school an hour away. In first year, I lived in the dorms and came home every other weekend because I was lonely / homesick. And then after first year I moved back home and commute to school. I hope I'm not annoying my parents that much and hopefully I didn't make you lose hope in your sitation haha
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What do you mean no student loans to worry about?? Does she have a trust fund? Please tell.

Possibly has a scholarship!
    I was just teasing ;)

Of course, I know you; too well lol!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »
    O. M. G.

Save me from my 18 year old.

Love her, love her, love her. My youngest, my sweetheart, my angel. BUT SHE IS MAKING ME CRAZY. I think we have made her life too easy. She's away at school an hour south of us and is MISERABLE living away from home.

Kid? Do you have ANY IDEA how fortunate you are to be going to school with no student loans to worry about? A warm and safe place to live? All the food you can possibly eat LOL

She is a whole 6 DAYS into her college career and ready to come home because of being homesick. UGH.

Okay, so that's my day! How 'bout you =P

Tell her to go get drunk and find a man. Basically get started with college life. She will soon forget all about you.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I left for college I moved 3 hours away, the first 2 weeks I was a mess. I was so excited to leave, but then didnt think I'd make it being away from my parents once they were gone. After the first few weeks though I was totally fine, and then my mom was chasing me down trying to get a proper phone call out of me. It'll pass, she'll get her footing, it just means she misses you and loves you!
  • ellebreedlove42
    ellebreedlove42 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as you made life too easy, but that she grew up surrounded very loved. I'm almost 28, 5 kids. I kind of wish my mom lived with me because I miss her!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree, she's grown up with a lot of love. It's difficult to enjoy your new life when the one you've had has been pretty great. It is hard to appreciate what you have when you don't have what you want. Personally, I was thrilled to be away from home (eat/sleep/befriend like I wanted), but being two hours away, I knew I wasn't far if I wanted to be home. There were some girls who went home every weekend, they missed out on the college experience by not accepting it for what it was. Perhaps she would feel more comfortable going to county college for a couple of years and then transferring. Some are ready from the start, others need to ease into it slowly.
  • Shana67
    Options

No trust fund, but a very wealthy dad. Whom I am very happily no longer married to :)
  • Shana67
    Options
    I don't have any kids but I feel like commenting because your daughter is/was exactly me. I am in University right now in my last year and also have everything paid for and no loans and no worries. I also go to school an hour away. In first year, I lived in the dorms and came home every other weekend because I was lonely / homesick. And then after first year I moved back home and commute to school. I hope I'm not annoying my parents that much and hopefully I didn't make you lose hope in your sitation haha

Thank you for responding! Can you tell me what it is about living in the dorms that was tough for you? Kara (my daughter) is having trouble with roommates. We've raised our kids to be able to have a glass of wine or a beer now and again, but she's really having trouble with her roommates drinking & hard partying EVERY NIGHT and it's just been a week. She's in a suite with 3 other girls and has her own room, but I think feels really isolated because the partying scene just isn't her thing.
  • Shana67
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Tell her to go get drunk and find a man. Basically get started with college life. She will soon forget all about you.

Dude, I wish it were that easy. She has a boyfriend at home (probably part of the issue) and she's not a big partier. But, thanks :)

• Shana67
    Options
    When I left for college I moved 3 hours away, the first 2 weeks I was a mess. I was so excited to leave, but then didnt think I'd make it being away from my parents once they were gone. After the first few weeks though I was totally fine, and then my mom was chasing me down trying to get a proper phone call out of me. It'll pass, she'll get her footing, it just means she misses you and loves you!

Super encouraging <3 Thank you!
  • Shana67
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    I agree, she's grown up with a lot of love. It's difficult to enjoy your new life when the one you've had has been pretty great. It is hard to appreciate what you have when you don't have what you want. Personally, I was thrilled to be away from home (eat/sleep/befriend like I wanted), but being two hours away, I knew I wasn't far if I wanted to be home. There were some girls who went home every weekend, they missed out on the college experience by not accepting it for what it was. Perhaps she would feel more comfortable going to county college for a couple of years and then transferring. Some are ready from the start, others need to ease into it slowly.

Thank you to you, and to @ellebreedlove42 for your kind words <3 My older daughter had similar issues and came home after one semester, to attend a local university. She's done very well with that, but I had kinda hoped that Kara would be the one to actually fly the coop, as she is my more confident/social child. And I feel like she's missing out on the college experience, too - one of my big issues with this! Gaaaaaah.
  • Shana67
    Options

No trust fund, but a very wealthy dad. Whom I am very happily no longer married to :)
    Is he into adopting a son to promote diversity and interracial adoption?!?

Hahahahaaaaa!! We actually also have a son - he's 25, happily graduated from college and working. FINALLY!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ohhheemmmgeeeeeeeeee!
    I feel your pain and I'm not quite there but almost. I have a 16 y/o daughter (soon to be 17) and in her senior year. I guess I'm guilty of ruining her maybe early on and spoiling her as she was my little princess and I just adored her. We all did. She now has this very sickening attitude of entitlement. The upside, if we don't kill each other before grad date she will probably do her best to get far far far away from me lol lol. Ohhh teenage girls. The joy!

But I think your daughter is just going through that adjustment that happens when you leave home and realize all of what you took for granted is not there. No matter how close or how far you are. Some parents get the "empty nest" and I'm sure some kids who've left the nest go through something on their own. Hopefully she connects soon with someone who is feeling like her and they can relate. I personally loved college, loved living in the dorms and being away from home. But that isn't the case as we know for all. Wishing her well!
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Let's loop her in and see what she has to say.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am told that many kids go a little wild when they first get away from home. But they learn their lessons and settle down a bit pretty quickly.
    That said, there is a real problem with the culture of drinking and college-aged females. And, my younger son went to UC Santa Barbara for two years and then transferred to a smaller school, in part because the party-scene at the school got to be too much for him.
    Good luck with this. I am sure she will work it out. If you care enough about her to fret about the situation on here, that gets communicated to her, one way or another, and that makes all the difference in the world! She'll make it.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    My daughter recently confessed that she cried every day for the first week at school. And like your daughter she was only about 2 hours south of home. And her dumbass boyfriend was there (thankfully he is now an ex). She flat out told me not to call for the first week because just the sound of my voice would make her want to come home.

She toughed it and and it got better. She still has her "I need my mom" days, and cries on the phone, not to come home, but somedays being an adult just sucks. . . and I'm sure we all can relate to that.
  • Intrinsicat
    Intrinsicat Posts: 473 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Is there any chance she could change to a single room? If not, encourage her to seek out her own kind - they're probably just a club away in the form of maybe a gaming club or some sort of intramural sport team, frisbee golf perhaps? There is usually free counseling available on campus and I always highly encourage anyone and everyone to take full advantage of THAT! There is no stigma, it's practically a perk of being a college student! She may be feeling frustrated that the onus is completely on her without the help of older siblings and parents to get situated - and may be floundering. Encourage her to go out, sans roommates, and see what the college has to offer. And she is only an hour away, let her be a suitcase student for a while in weekends if she wants to come home for a break from the drunkards. :)
  • meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I

Thank you for responding! Can you tell me what it is about living in the dorms that was tough for you? Kara (my daughter) is having trouble with roommates. We've raised our kids to be able to have a glass of wine or a beer now and again, but she's really having trouble with her roommates drinking & hard partying EVERY NIGHT and it's just been a week. She's in a suite with 3 other girls and has her own room, but I think feels really isolated because the partying scene just isn't her thing.

This is part of the college experience. My parents are European and we were allowed to drink growing up as long as we didn't drive anywhere. When I got to school,some girls went crazy with their new found freedom. Living with other girls isn't easy but it WILL get better. Once classes really get going she'll meet other friends outside of those living with her or next door.

I recall being somewhat homesick the first couple of weeks too. It's like moving to a new city where you know no one. It takes a bit to establish relationships.