1100 calories for 2 hours of mountain biking...

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
Does that sound right? I weigh 160, and no, I didn't use a heart rate monitor. That just seems like a ton. It was about 8 miles, a fair amount of climbing and some technical.

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I wore my HRM riding last weekend. 8 miles, 1 hour and 20 minutes, 1100 calories. Avg HR was 168 and max was 187.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would say it's probably not far off. Cycling especially over rough terrain can be demanding.
  • Birdnicaj
    Birdnicaj Posts: 95
    Options
    SH**!!! I'm going mountain biking!!!!!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I burn about 650 calories in a 60 minute spin class with long, heavy hills. What you are calculating sounds reasonable, possibly low.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It all depends on where your heart rate was, but it definitely sounds like a possible number.

Even when I'm just street biking, I average 8-10 cals per minute, and I have a freakishly low peak heart rate.
  • lisa_73
    lisa_73 Posts: 43
    Options
    SH**!!! I'm going mountain biking!!!!!

that's what i'm thinking!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I generally do about 700 for 2 hours of biking on pavement.

The other day we did some real mountain biking and did 300 in 40 minutes but it was really muddy and that was with a lot of stops.

(that is using a hrm)

1100 is probably pretty close if you consistently had your heart rate up.
  • seaybl24
    seaybl24 Posts: 9
    Options
    im a guy at 260 lbs - HR monitor and its about 1051 cals for 55 minutes of mountain biking (approx. 6 miles) technical terrain. I would say thats about right, like stated before it's a little low - I remember reading if you wanna burn more calories do it outside.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Does that sound right? I weigh 160, and no, I didn't use a heart rate monitor. That just seems like a ton. It was about 8 miles, a fair amount of climbing and some technical.

Dang, Im going to go buy a mountain bike.....and a mountain!!! Great job!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thanks. I felt like I really did push it (and made some improvements in my overall skills so it was a good day).
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    seems possible...i did an hour ride yesterday with my HRM and i burned 600 calories and my ride was mostly flat.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    yes, it sounds right to me!!! I love mtn. biking too...mines mainly up and down bluffs and it's usually paved, but it's still a killer of a workout!!!
  • chadtheman11b
    Options
    i use endomondo on my droid its a gps for bikeing running and such. it tells me i used 1201 cal for an hour about 12 mi of single track and some road on my last ride. im a big guy to about 220 they have a class for us in mountain bike raceing its call clydesdal lol. thought about puting in for it the guy are pretty fast. i have been raceing in at cat 3 25-23 age group.