Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Protein intake to maintain optimum physical performance myth?

124»

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    To keep people on the right track when looking up medical studies. Look for studies that aren't close to 11 years old and you typically want the source to be from a teaching hospital or Stanford, Mayo Clinic.

From what you gave? This shows me no valid information I can use. No valid source.

Please check the link provided below for more answers on protein, types, how much and when you should take it.

You could also do a google search for Stanford University. This should get you on the right track for now.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/seniors-beef-it-up-to-prevent-muscle-loss/bgp-20136508

This is what happens when your grandpa gets on the protein...that's a kind of steroid, right?

https://youtu.be/T6QsBEXDrts?t=1m17s
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited August 2016
    My "high protein diet" lets me keep within the calorie range I want to be in to maintain my weight and keep adding pounds to the bar. When I was on a lower protein (and a higher carbohydrate) diet I stalled hard at a certain point.

Granted, this is an n=1 case, but (unencumbered by statistical data) I don't think I'm an edge case for an older lifter.

[edit] Higher protein may not help to maintain "optimum" physical performance, but it certainly helps with other parts of my physical state.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    brichards_ wrote: »
    Although protein is important, it's hyped up and we consume more than needed as the average Americans. I've switched over to a high carb low fat vegan diet, I'm an athlete, and I feel better than ever. I get an abundance of protein just off of veggies and other plant proteins

http://www.nutritionsecrets.com/9-lies-vegans-love-telling/

From the article: " And vegans follow one of the strictest diets out there. Not only do they avoid animal products of all kinds, but they also don’t touch:

Trans fats
    Refined sugar
    Processed grains
    Vegetable oils."

This just isn't true. Today alone I've had refined sugar, processed grains, and vegetable oil -- and I haven't even had dinner yet. I don't know about trans fats because I don't really pay attention to that -- but it's totally possible that I have had some of those too. There isn't just one vegan way to eat and veganism isn't the same thing as the more restrictive "plant-based diet."

Also, "Unless you’re going to a strictly vegan restaurant, chances are that a vegan meal is going to fall into three categories: salad, grilled/ roasted side-dish-vegetables-turned-into-an-entree, or something on the menu with the protein taken off the plate" isn't true in many parts of the country. I hardly ever go to all-vegan places (there is only one in my city), but I often find things to eat that don't fall into that category. It's becoming much more common to see places offer vegan meals or meals that are easily made vegan with a minor change like holding the cheese.

I understand the main focus of the article is on the misrepresentations that some vegans make (I too dislike it when some vegans make false claims about vegans never getting cancer or that you don't have to ever think about getting enough protein because vegetables have so much of it), but the author seems seriously misinformed about vegans and veganism and the article over-compensates by labeling some things as "lies" that are actually true (according to Cronometer, I do -- in fact -- get enough healthy fat, for example).

Countering lies is great. Countering them with misinformation and misrepresentation is less helpful.

Okay, so you've admitted you're not a vegan, but now you're arguing what vegans do or don't do?

How are refined sugar, processed grains, and vegetable oils against the rules of veganism?

Veganism is ethical towards animals. People are animals. Feeding that to yourself isn't treating yourself ethically.
    BBD ergo zoom, vegans can't eat those foods.

Refined sugar is an issue for some vegans because the processing of the sugar may involve bone char in the filtering process, so they only purchase items which do not use that process. The concerns with processed grains and vegetable oils seem to be about the nutritional make-up of those foods, and preference for whole grains and other oils that will better choices for fulfilling nutritional requirements.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    CipherZero wrote: »
    My "high protein diet" lets me keep within the calorie range I want to be in to maintain my weight and keep adding pounds to the bar. When I was on a lower protein (and a higher carbohydrate) diet I stalled hard at a certain point.

Granted, this is an n=1 case, but (unencumbered by statistical data) I don't think I'm an edge case for an older lifter.

[edit] Higher protein may not help to maintain "optimum" physical performance, but it certainly helps with other parts of my physical state.

You say your example is a sample n=1 which is correct. I would suggest though the vast majority of high level athletes consume in the .8-1.0+ grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Pure rubbish. The evidence is pretty clear that RDA is too low and that optimal intake for most physically active individuals is probably in the range of double that recommendation. These threads are akin to "is milk healthy" threads in the sense that there tends to be a number of good studies clearly pushing in the direction of "yes" and quite a bit of fantasy pointing in the other direction. At the end of the day though, you do what you want and and those of us with higher than average muscle mass and leaner builds will continue to follow the evidence.

http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339
  • Gallowmere1984
    Pure rubbish. The evidence is pretty clear that RDA is too low and that optimal intake for most physically active individuals is probably in the range of double that recommendation. These threads are akin to "is milk healthy" threads in the sense that there tends to be a number of good studies clearly pushing in the direction of "yes" and quite a bit of fantasy pointing in the other direction. At the end of the day though, you do what you want and and those of us with higher than average muscle mass and leaner builds will continue to follow the evidence.

Hell, I'm not even higher than average muscle mass (9-12% bf depending upon method and 157 lbs.), and I know better. I haven't met a person yet, with a physique that isn't comparable to a Japanese schoolgirl (or a Seaworld attraction), who believes that the RDA is acceptable.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    To keep people on the right track when looking up medical studies. Look for studies that aren't close to 11 years old and you typically want the source to be from a teaching hospital or Stanford, Mayo Clinic.

From what you gave? This shows me no valid information I can use. No valid source.

Please check the link provided below for more answers on protein, types, how much and when you should take it.

You could also do a google search for Stanford University. This should get you on the right track for now.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-blog/seniors-beef-it-up-to-prevent-muscle-loss/bgp-20136508

FYI - that study referencing another study which seems to be the gold standard, so far, for minimum acceptable protein intake. Including the link you posted here, which doesn't offer anything new. It should be noted that these new studies, that you are talking about are short term. The long-term translation of acute findings to chronic phenotypic changes requires caution in interpretation. This "old" study is seems to be more accurate due to long term studies.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Although protein is important, it's hyped up and we consume more than needed as the average Americans. I've switched over to a high carb low fat vegan diet, I'm an athlete, and I feel better than ever. I get an abundance of protein just off of veggies and other plant proteins

From the article: " And vegans follow one of the strictest diets out there. Not only do they avoid animal products of all kinds, but they also don’t touch:

Trans fats
    Refined sugar
    Processed grains
    Vegetable oils."

This just isn't true. Today alone I've had refined sugar, processed grains, and vegetable oil -- and I haven't even had dinner yet. I don't know about trans fats because I don't really pay attention to that -- but it's totally possible that I have had some of those too. There isn't just one vegan way to eat and veganism isn't the same thing as the more restrictive "plant-based diet."

Also, "Unless you’re going to a strictly vegan restaurant, chances are that a vegan meal is going to fall into three categories: salad, grilled/ roasted side-dish-vegetables-turned-into-an-entree, or something on the menu with the protein taken off the plate" isn't true in many parts of the country. I hardly ever go to all-vegan places (there is only one in my city), but I often find things to eat that don't fall into that category. It's becoming much more common to see places offer vegan meals or meals that are easily made vegan with a minor change like holding the cheese.

I understand the main focus of the article is on the misrepresentations that some vegans make (I too dislike it when some vegans make false claims about vegans never getting cancer or that you don't have to ever think about getting enough protein because vegetables have so much of it), but the author seems seriously misinformed about vegans and veganism and the article over-compensates by labeling some things as "lies" that are actually true (according to Cronometer, I do -- in fact -- get enough healthy fat, for example).

Countering lies is great. Countering them with misinformation and misrepresentation is less helpful.

I hardly agree with the beliefs of the author. Maybe I should have provided context for my posting of the link.
    I was only demonstrating that not even other vegans agree with her misinformation.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Your body can only take in so much protein, otherwise it's just a waste product. With people who do a real intense workout (body builders, toning, etc.) sometimes you will need to increase protein intake because of what you're doing to your muscles. Take me for example, my protein intake before I started to workout was less than 50g/day. When I started my program, I increased it to 80-115g/day depending on what I was doing with my workouts. With any "left over" protein that my body can't use, it's just discarded.

If you are working on your form, tone, and muscle production you will need to increase some of your protein intake. Watch your carbs/fats/sugars. If you decide to take a protein supplements (powders), stay cognizant of the carb amounts (per scoop), fat, and sugar. I use GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ Ripped (20g protein per scoop); it's low in fat, sugars and carbs. Along with helping your muscles, it does help take care of some hunger pains. Protein is harder to break down and it keeps you fuller longer so you aren't snacking on empty calories.

And last but never least, always always ALWAYS keep yourself hydrated.
  • edorsey25
    edorsey25 Posts: 1 Member
    From my studies and what I've learned in my program (Rutgers Doctor of Physical Therapy Program), according to ACSM guidelines:

Average individual will require: ~0.8-1.0g protein per Kg body weight per day.

Athlete will require: ~1.2-1.5g protein per Kg body weight per day.

**It is a common misconception that increasing your protein (beyond what your body requires) will help you to get big or build excess muscle. In fact, any amount of protein ingested beyond what your system requires on a daily basis is simply eliminated from the body via urination.

What is most important is that you are getting your required daily amounts of your proteins in balance with your other required daily macros (fats and carbohydrates). In addition, it's important to choose the better options to attain these macros. For example, choose whole grain rice or quinoa instead of white rice (simple carbs, "empty" calories) for your carb needs. Choose avocado and nuts to get healthy, unsaturated fat instead of butter, fried foods, or canola oil.

To calculate your body weight in Kg simply divide your weight in lbs by 2.2: Ex) 200lbs = ? Kg
    200lbs/2.2 = approximately 91Kg

In good health,
    Eliza
  • Gallowmere1984
    Your body can only take in so much protein, otherwise it's just a waste product. With people who do a real intense workout (body builders, toning, etc.) sometimes you will need to increase protein intake because of what you're doing to your muscles. Take me for example, my protein intake before I started to workout was less than 50g/day. When I started my program, I increased it to 80-115g/day depending on what I was doing with my workouts. With any "left over" protein that my body can't use, it's just discarded.

If you are working on your form, tone, and muscle production you will need to increase some of your protein intake. Watch your carbs/fats/sugars. If you decide to take a protein supplements (powders), stay cognizant of the carb amounts (per scoop), fat, and sugar. I use GNC Pro Performance® AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60™ Ripped (20g protein per scoop); it's low in fat, sugars and carbs. Along with helping your muscles, it does help take care of some hunger pains. Protein is harder to break down and it keeps you fuller longer so you aren't snacking on empty calories.

And last but never least, always always ALWAYS keep yourself hydrated.

Get a better protein powder, imo. Yours isn't the worst, but it's pretty bad, when you compare it's cost to how it tests.
    https://labdoor.com/review/gnc-pro-performance-amp-wheybolic
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

#proofisinthepudding
  • lurline27
    lurline27 Posts: 30 Member
    I buy fresh spinach leaves and freeze them. Sometimes I buy fresh kale and freeze that too. I take a Premier Protein chocolate shake add 2 cups of frozen spinach and to strawberries and blend it up. One carton of Premier Protein contains 30 grams of protein. I have two of them a day. I have to say I feel really good. I feel better than I used to feel. I would like to say a lot of it has to do with the protein in a spinach and the strawberry shake that I do twice a day. And some days when I'm sluggish up drink a shake but I don't notice any immediate boost of energy. So I know I'm getting at least 60 grams of protein a day
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kgeyser wrote: »

Trans fats
    Refined sugar
    Processed grains
    Vegetable oils."

Okay, so you've admitted you're not a vegan, but now you're arguing what vegans do or don't do?

How are refined sugar, processed grains, and vegetable oils against the rules of veganism?

Veganism is ethical towards animals. People are animals. Feeding that to yourself isn't treating yourself ethically.

Refined sugar is an issue for some vegans because the processing of the sugar may involve bone char in the filtering process, so they only purchase items which do not use that process. The concerns with processed grains and vegetable oils seem to be about the nutritional make-up of those foods, and preference for whole grains and other oils that will better choices for fulfilling nutritional requirements.

This is only an issue with cane sugar -- beet sugar is never processed with bone char.
  • janejellyroll

Trans fats
    Refined sugar
    Processed grains
    Vegetable oils."

I hardly agree with the beliefs of the author. Maybe I should have provided context for my posting of the link.
    I was only demonstrating that not even other vegans agree with her misinformation.

Got it -- thanks for clarifying.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Trans fats
    Refined sugar
    Processed grains
    Vegetable oils."

This is only an issue with cane sugar -- beet sugar is never processed with bone char.

Interesting. I didn't know that. So with something with cane sugar, do you have to have it labeled specifically vegan to know it's okay?
  • janejellyroll
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Trans fats
    Refined sugar
    Processed grains
    Vegetable oils."

Interesting. I didn't know that. So with something with cane sugar, do you have to have it labeled specifically vegan to know it's okay?

I buy specifically vegan sugar when I purchase my own (Whole Foods sells one). If I am offered something that is otherwise vegan, but I don't know the source of the sugar, I will generally accept it (if it's something I like) because I think making veganism look highly difficult and concerned about something relatively insignificant (as I consider bone char processing to be) does more overall harm to animals. This is the same policy I follow for wine as well -- when I purchase my own, I check to ensure it is vegan, but if someone offers me a glass, I will generally accept it (wine is sometimes also filtered with animal products).

There are vegans who avoid sugar unless they can verify that it was processed without bone char. I understand their reasoning, I just prefer to make veganism look more approachable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Thanks.

I was actually thinking of something like this (as I've been experimenting with non dairy frozen desserts lately): http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/cashew-milk-frozen-desserts/creamy-cashew. I was guessing that it was labeled vegan, but couldn't remember. The website says certified vegan, so I guess that's one reason the certification is needed, good to know.

There's a frozen yogurt place near me (weird place, it serves mainly frozen yogurt and oatmeal, but isn't open at breakfast time -- opens around 10 am, I think), that we've always mocked because everything is "gluten free" or "vegan" (or non GMO, fair trade, etc.) -- and not everything is BOTH vegan and gluten free -- with the idea that OF COURSE oatmeal is vegan and fro yo is gluten free, but I've since learned that there are reasons to be concerned about gluten in fro yo and now vegan for the coconut milk fro yo (it is) and the sugar available for the oatmeal, if you want it (also it is).

So that's informative.

I'd apologize to the fro yo place but I've already been seduced by some of their offerings, so it would be overkill. ;-)
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »

#proofisinthepudding

Too much? Did I overstate it? Have I really reached cranky old man stage? Never mind. Don't answer that.
  • janejellyroll
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Thanks.

I was actually thinking of something like this (as I've been experimenting with non dairy frozen desserts lately): http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/cashew-milk-frozen-desserts/creamy-cashew. I was guessing that it was labeled vegan, but couldn't remember. The website says certified vegan, so I guess that's one reason the certification is needed, good to know.

There's a frozen yogurt place near me (weird place, it serves mainly frozen yogurt and oatmeal, but isn't open at breakfast time -- opens around 10 am, I think), that we've always mocked because everything is "gluten free" or "vegan" (or non GMO, fair trade, etc.) -- and not everything is BOTH vegan and gluten free -- with the idea that OF COURSE oatmeal is vegan and fro yo is gluten free, but I've since learned that there are reasons to be concerned about gluten in fro yo and now vegan for the coconut milk fro yo (it is) and the sugar available for the oatmeal, if you want it (also it is).

So that's informative.

I'd apologize to the fro yo place but I've already been seduced by some of their offerings, so it would be overkill. ;-)

Yes, anything that is certified vegan has checked the source of their sugar. This makes it much easier!