Alcohol

Options
Help. I've been very healthy all summer eating clean and exercising regularly but now I moved back to campus. Not only am I surrounded by my roomates and friends who eat very unhealthy (and offer and encourage me to join) but we go out on the weekends and the alcohol adds up quick! Realistically I know I will drink but I can't decide if cutting calories and carbs to fit alcohol into my diet is better or making sure a have a filling (still clean) meal is better so the alcohol doesn't digest on a not full stomach.

Replies

• mazarasltm
    mazarasltm Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    On my First Job, one young college patient came to me with Liver Enzymes of 60 y/o Hardcore alcholic. I couldnt believe it. A step away from Pancreatitis.. No kidding. Bloodwork: Liver Panel- If AST and ALT are elevated and AST is twice ALT then you have Alcoholic Hepatitis. Easy Medschool Mnemonic : The S in AST is for Smirnoff and L for Liver (Hep B and C). Food for thought.
  • sinclair1525
    sinclair1525 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would recommend watching sugar intake as opposed to counting calories, carbs or fat. If you limit sugar you will wind up eating a relatively low carb diet anyway. Try choosing protein rich foods and vegetables, it sounds like you'll be getting your extra sugar from alcohol. Don't sacrifice your healthy diet for empty alcohol calories. Stay safe and have fun!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The times I've gotten myself into the most trouble drinking is when I didn't eat first. Lesson learned! If you want to drink do it wisely. Order a glass of water with your drink and drink both at the same time. It'll take you longer to get through the drink and you'll stay more hydrated, too. I know some people switch off an alcoholic drink with a non-alcoholic one; it's the same end result.

Stick to unsweet drinks. Pina coladas and other really fruity drinks have a lot of calories. Stick to beer or wine or a plain alcohol with an unsweetened mixer (Rum and diet Coke, flavored vodka and seltzer, etc.). If you're always seen drinking mixed drinks it's really easy to order just the mixer with a twist of lime and no one will be the wiser that you don't actually have an alcoholic drink in your hand, too. Not only is that easier on your waistline but it's easier on your wallet and your reputation, if you know what I mean. :wink:
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    YOLO
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love to go out on occasion. Unfortunately I try to cut it down a lot because of the calories and finances, but some days you just need to binge drink, am I right?

I switched from rum and cokes to vodka club soda with lime. Super refreshing and you are only getting calories from the alcohol and not the mixer. Beware though because bar tenders sometimes will give you tonic instead of club soda which is good, but tonic water has calories!

I try to plan my nights out. If I know I'm going to be going out on a Saturday night, I'll shave off 200-300 calories for each day the week or so leading up to Saturday. That way there isn't nearly as much damage done (think of your calories in terms of weeks rather than days).
    I also try to drink a lot of water throughout the night (that's wise for everybody!) the issue for me comes with the snacking that I want to happen after/during drinking like pizza and Taco Bell. I try to plan ahead and have a "healthier" taco bowl ready to nuke when I get home. Just know yourself and your habits!

I'm not sure how often you go out, but if you're only going out on the weekends, you can plan accordingly during the week. It's tough being influenced by roommates and friends. My last year of undergrad was when I lived with my best friends and turned 21 and packed on the pounds. I wish I had been more conscious about what I was putting into my body and looking back, some of the sugary drinks and nights were not worth it for me. Everyone is different though!

Have fun and be safe!
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, you will need to reduce food calories if you want to drink. OR, you can order club soda and lime or club soda with a splash of cranberry juice. If anyone asks why you're not drinking, tell them you have to study later or drive or even that you're eating clean.

Your roommates/friends don't have to live with your goals or your weight, so why should they have a say in what you eat? If they are trying to get you to eat what they eat, it's their own insecurities about what they're eating.

If they won't support you, get some new friends with similar goals to stay healthy and active.
  • mazarasltm
    Options
    3 part Vodka, 3 part Triple Sec. 4 part Tang (-with cane sugar) with Fresh Squeeze Lemon Juice & Vanilla Extract, 4 part Cranberry Punch or Cran Apple, Crushed Ice & Grenadine = Triple Sex on Beach. Zero Calories or Last you wont care your on a Diet Anymore. Risk of waking up in Strange Places, cuddling up to Strangle People.
  • angelwowings23
    angelwowings23 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Let's be honest, being healthy is super important to us all. However, you're 21. Your college experience is going to be such a small blip on your life's radar...enjoy it. Eat healthy. Work out. Enjoy the occasional midnight pizza with your friends. And, yes, enjoy your delicious alcoholic beverages when you go out. At your age, as long as you eat well the majority of the time, work out regularly, and don't drink to excess daily...you're doing more than enough to look and feel great. Don't miss out on these experiences you get to have as a 21 year old college student because you're consumed by a body image thing. You'll have plenty years to worry about all that when your metabolism completely gives up on you. Lol. I just turned 32 and that has yet to happen, so you (presumably) have lots of time left to enjoy yourself before you have to give up all the things you love in order to be healthy and look good. ;-)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    mazarasltm wrote: »
    On my First Job, one young college patient came to me with Liver Enzymes of 60 y/o Hardcore alcholic. I couldnt believe it. A step away from Pancreatitis.. No kidding. Bloodwork: Liver Panel- If AST and ALT are elevated and AST is twice ALT then you have Alcoholic Hepatitis. Easy Medschool Mnemonic : The S in AST is for Smirnoff and L for Liver (Hep B and C). Food for thought.

Clearly an extreme example and doesn't mean she can't have a drink or two.
  • mazarasltm
    Options
    Not extreme. Common. Bing Drinker. I drink. But in moderation. I never suggest being a monk
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not extreme. Common. Bing Drinker. I drink. But in moderation. I never suggest being a monk

You're saying it is common for college students to have the liver enzyme test results of a 60-year-old "hardcore" alcoholic? You're basing this on what, one case you saw at your first job?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Count your calories and try (it's hard in college) to make healthy choices. Don't worry about cutting carbs as that won't affect your weight unless it makes you eat over/under your maintenance weight.

Here's what you can do if you know you're going to go out drinking. Calorie Cycle. (No matter what, don't go below 1200 kcal a day) If you save 100 a day for 5 days, that an extra 500 calories for drinking, or whatever, on the weekend. I know this works.

Other people in college that drink alot just start jogging/exercising alot more to offset the alcohol calories.
  • mazarasltm
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Youre not getting the message and you and are missing the point. I didnt see a hundred patients to see this guy. He's the first one off the bat in a family practice The enzymes were bad. Very bad. If you cant understand the annecdote, then dont know there is no standard for 50 y/o 60 y/o etc. You should not walk-in to doctor in your 20's with lab work that I see on Drunks in ER Rotation.
    Thats the point.
    Binge Drinking is common. In college towns I visited (such as Ithica NY), drinking was the main outlet (hiking to waterfall to drink is not hiking). I have friends with great drinking stories involving passing out and blackouts. Fantastic. In my last School Experience ~ 6 years ago, same behavior was common (married student making out with janitor, girls waking up in strange beds). In highschool, a female friend got raped after drinking. The difference between myself and laymen is that I got to see bloodwerk results first hand. If you are defending the College Drinking scene so vehemently it might be time to ask yourself the C A G E questions. Do you really believe encouraging Drinking is ever a good idea? Cheers
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Youre not getting the message and you and are missing the point. I didnt see a hundred patients to see this guy. He's the first one off the bat in a family practice The enzymes were bad. Very bad. If you cant understand the annecdote, then dont know there is no standard for 50 y/o 60 y/o etc. You should not walk-in to doctor in your 20's with lab work that I see on Drunks in ER Rotation.
    Thats the point.
    Binge Drinking is common. In college towns I visited (such as Ithica NY), drinking was the main outlet (hiking to waterfall to drink is not hiking). I have friends with great drinking stories involving passing out and blackouts. Fantastic. In my last School Experience ~ 6 years ago, same behavior was common (married student making out with janitor, girls waking up in strange beds). In highschool, a female friend got raped after drinking. The difference between myself and laymen is that I got to see bloodwerk results first hand. If you are defending the College Drinking scene so vehemently it might be time to ask yourself the C A G E questions. Do you really believe encouraging Drinking is ever a good idea? Cheers

The fact that he was the first patient you saw is irrelevant. The first patient you see could have a rare condition or a common one -- where his appointment is situated in the total scope of your career doesn't tell you anything about how common his condition is.

I'm not defending college drinking. I'm defending logic and the basics of how to draw scientifically supported conclusions.

College drinking may be a common problem that leads to health problems, but your story doesn't support that conclusion. If you have actual evidence beyond a single patient that you saw once (and their "bloodwerk"), feel free to share it.

Derailing OP's thread, when there is no evidence she is an alcoholic, isn't helpful.
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What does OP mean???????
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    What does OP mean???????

"Original Poster." The person who started this thread.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thats the point.

What does this have to do with OP's thread? IMO, nothing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    we go out on the weekends and the alcohol adds up quick! Realistically I know I will drink but I can't decide if cutting calories and carbs to fit alcohol into my diet is better or making sure a have a filling (still clean) meal is better so the alcohol doesn't digest on a not full stomach.

I'd always recommend not drinking on an empty stomach. It's an easy way to have it hit you harder than expected, which is bad for a number of reasons (including that you might end up eating more than you meant anyway, once you started feeling the booze).

If you drink a moderate amount (or even a bit more, but only occasionally) it's not going to be that many calories. You can make some room without leaving yourself too low on calories. You can also plan ahead -- I don't drink, but I tend to go out to eat on the weekends and eat a little bit less on weekdays to allow for that.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It's college. There will be pressure to drink but that doesn't mean you have to give in.

First, WALK to whereever you are going. Built in exercise before & after plus no danger of drinking & driving.

Second, for every alcohol drink have a bottle of water after wards. Nobody will think you are weird or not playing along. Tell them you are trying to prevent a hangover. This tip does help with that too.

Third, dance your butt off at every party! Dancing burns calories. It's also hard to drink when you dance so you have a built in socially acceptable reason not to drink.